Droid X Incredible

This is a discussion on Droid X Incredible within the Droid X Themes forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Let me preface this by saying that it was early July when I first decided it was time to get a new phone. I'd seen ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Droid X Incredible

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Droid X Incredible

Let me preface this by saying that it was early July when I first decided it was time to get a new phone. I'd seen the Droid Incredible advertised and really liked what I saw. Then I heard that the X was coming. I was torn... Which would I get?

Fast forward to the end of July. I have my X and I love it. No regrets at all. That having been said, in my head I keep seeing that press shot of the Incredible. I wondered, could I make my X look just like the Incredible in that press shot?

Have a look. The first pic is a copy of the press shot's screen. The second is my X's home screen...

I'll admit that there are some minor discrepancies, but over all, I think it's pretty darned close. I'll also admit that maybe no one else will care about any of this, but here's what I used and how I did it:

Stuff to Download

I tweaked the "incredible_wp_11.png" wallpaper (it's the one used in the press shot). The original is available here if you're interested. I played a bit with the color balance (it looked too dark to me overall; didn't lighten quite enough in my opinion /shrug) and added 54 pixels of blank area to the bottom to make the top of the pic line up better with where it needed to be rather than just stretching it. The result is below:

It needs to be placed on your sdcard somewhere that you'll remember.

You also need a copy of the Sense UI bar that appears at the bottom of the Incredible's screen. I cooked this up after a small bit of effort located the resources necessary:

You'll also need some custom icons. Keep in mind I was only going for a duplication of that one screen, so I'm only including the icons necessary to accomplish that, but if someone else wants to go all out and up more of the icons, I certainly won't complain :P.

epic.zip

The app I'll detail below that I used to make custom shortcuts requires that the icons be placed in a folder called "epic" on your sdcard.

The weather and clock widget is Fancy Widget 1.3.0. It can be downloaded here. Copy the apk for it to a location you'll remember on your sdcard and follow any of the myriad instructions located all over the internet to install it.

Apps to Buy from the Market

I bought LauncherPro+ (find LauncherPro in the Market; the free version will work but it's only $2.99 to buy and the developer deserves the money for such a great app). This lets you get rid of the default app bar of the X and replace it with the one from the Incredible. The app does a ton more, though, so definitely check out all that it has to offer and when you're ready to buy it, visit this thread on the LauncherPro forum.

After it is installed, on your home screen, press the far left physical button (what the heck is the button called? I have no idea...) and tap "Preferences".

In there, tap "Homescreen Preferences". Make sure "Number of screens" is set to 7 and "Default screen" is set to 5 (the wallpaper lines up best on screen 5.

Under "Dock Settings", I set "Number of docks" to one, though you could have more if you so chose.

Under "Appearance Settings", tap "Dock background", choose "Custom", then navigate to the location where you saved the dock pic from a few paragraphs up.

Now hit your Back button or Home button to go back to your home screen. Make sure you're on screen 5.

Longpress on the first icon that's on the dock. From the menu that comes up, tap "App Drawer" (or whatever else you want the button to do). On the new menu that pops up, select "Custom icon". Navigate to the "epic" folder on your sdcard and tap "transparent_icon.png" (it'll look like a black square).

Longpress on the second icon. On the menu, tap "Blank".

Longpress on the third icon. On the menu, tap "Dialer", then "Dialer" again. On the new menu that pops up, select "Custom icon" again and pick "transparent_icon.png" again from your "epic" folder.

Longpress on the fourth icon. On the menu, tap "Blank".

Longpress on the fifth icon. On the menu, tap whatever you want the button to do and set the custom icon to the transparent one again.

That should wrap up getting the dock working.

Now you need to be able to make some custom icons for things. I decided to try Easy ShortCut. It's in the Market and costs 0.99. That worked out to $1.54 U.S. After you've installed it, tap on the "EasyShortCut" icon in your app drawer. Tap the "Activities" tab and then tap "Applications shortcut". Scroll down as necessary and tap "Browser". Type in the new name for the shortcut. In this case, we're duplicating the "Internet" icon from the Incredible, so type in "Internet" (minus the quotes). Then, just above where you were typing, tap "ChangeIconHere" and choose "Pick from sdcard file". The Incredible version of the icon will be in the new window that comes up along with the other icons in the "epic" folder. Tap it then press "Create". Go back to your home screen and you should now have the "Internet" icon on there. Move it into place.

Now repeat the process for the others. "Text Messages" becomes "Messages" with the appropriate icon, "Email" becomes "Mail", "Contacts" becomes "People", and "Camera" stays "Camera" but with a new icon. The Marketplace icon needs nothing special done and you can add the normal one without using Easy ShortCut.

And there you have it. The Droid X Incredible
    Last edited by 1010101; 07-30-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Moved the images on my host and updated the pointers here

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registeredYour first Group100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    amazing, i think i will be doing this once i'm free and want a change in looks. thanks!
    btw, that button with the 4 squares is the menu key.

X Informant Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Near Hickory, NC (western part of the state/foothills)
    Liked
    2 times
    Subscribed! Thanks for GREAT intel

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.9%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    Pretty much the same thing I did and have posted in the screen shot thread. Except I didn't bother seeking out the Sense wallaper or adding my Sense icons.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    It was your pic that inspired me to give it a shot. I wanted the newer style bar, though (glossy). Fancy Widget matched the clock better in my opinion, but Beautiful Widgets (and Weather & Toggle Widgets, for that matter) works well, too.

I actually asked in the other thread about your dock. Was your solution the same as mine, to add the Sense icons and text directly to the bar graphic? I also noticed that the version you use is stretched vertically. I was actually worrried that it wouldn't work unstretched or at least padded out on top, but it works fine in an unstretched or padded form.

X Operative
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsThree Friends100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    That looks really great! I like how the HTC Evo's screen looks too.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.9%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    357 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010101 View Post
    It was your pic that inspired me to give it a shot. I wanted the newer style bar, though (glossy). Fancy Widget matched the clock better in my opinion, but Beautiful Widgets (and Weather & Toggle Widgets, for that matter) works well, too.

I actually asked in the other thread about your dock. Was your solution the same as mine, to add the Sense icons and text directly to the bar graphic? I also noticed that the version you use is stretched vertically. I was actually worrried that it wouldn't work unstretched or at least padded out on top, but it works fine in an unstretched or padded form.
    Sorry I missed that question. Actually what I did is make three 72x72 invisble icons to use left, right and center. I can't for the life of me remember what the + symbol is for. It has been a while since I played with Sense.

I was wondering if the actual HTC Incredible apps/widgets would work on the X. Either way this is exactly what I want to do with my DroidX.

Agent X
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    That looks great!!! Though I am actually partial to the stock dialer!!
    Droid Does!!!
    Droid X-Blackberry Curve- EnV2- Razr- some other random phones I cannot remember!

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Love this look. Going to try to replicate it. Thanks for the hard work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads