SBFboot - the easy way to sbf

This is a discussion on SBFboot - the easy way to sbf within the Droid X SBF forums, part of the Droid X Rescue Squad category; SBF'ing made easy! - SBFboot - a collaborative effort towards simplifying the process of device restoration Credits to: 1KDS for the original live linux SBF ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: SBFboot - the easy way to sbf

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    454 times

Cool SBFboot - the easy way to sbf

SBF'ing made easy! - SBFboot
    - a collaborative effort towards simplifying the process of device restoration

Credits to: 1KDS for the original live linux SBF disc, Mikeinrichmond for helping out with the early release testing of 1KDS's disc, TBH for the SBF file, JRummy for helping 1KDS with some code, the makers of SliTaz linux distro, Harley Dude, for being the man and starting this thread, which is what sparked the idea to make a simpler method for using 1KDS's SBF disc in the first place. UNetbootin devs for making their awesome program which allows "frugal instals" of live iso's into the windows boot menu. WugFresh... (thats me!) for figuring out how to mesh all these premade components together into one unified installer. Coffee for being the nectar of life and enabling programmers and crazy people like me to exist in this world. And last but not least, a big thanks to all the DX users out there who keep bricking their devices!

• Ok, with out further adieu; here is the first release of the simplest SBF program ever - built with 1KDS's latest iso (1KDStaz0.9.iso), UNetbootin, batch script, and AutoIt:
    • Just download it, unzip it, double click the exe and follow onscreen instructions. Enjoy
    Download Location: IMPORTANT THINGS TO MAKE SURE OF BEFORE SBF'ing!
    • Make sure that you are in BOOTLOADER MODE before attempting to SBF; simply power up while holding down the camera volume down and menu buttons until the screen flashes white momentarily, then release and you should see a read out. The bootloader should read 30.04 and it should say “ok to program” “charged” if it says “code corrupt” that is fine… just as long as it doesn’t say “not ok to program” “low battery”…. that means you need to charge it, refer to next bullet point:
    • Make sure that BEFORE you attempt to SBF, that your device is fully (100%) charged (or at the very least > 75%); that means, charging it externally (either a wall charger or a using someone elses’ healthy phone), borrowing a fully charged DX battery from someone else temporarily, visiting the Verizon store with your battery and asking them for a charge, or any other way you can obtain a fully charged battery BESIDES trying to charge it yourself when its in bootloader mode. YOUR DEVICE WILL NOT CHARGE IN BOOTLOADER MODE, you could potentially damage your device this way because it will overheat it. The ONLY way you can charge your device in bootloader mode is if you have specifically purchased a custom made factory grade usb cable from TBH, otherwise you have to figure out another way to get your phone charged before proceeding with the SBF procedure.
    • Make sure your computer is charged (if it’s a laptop) and preferably plugged in. The last thing you want is for the SBF process to be interrupted preemptively… although you can recover it if this were to happen.
    • Understand that SBF’ing will completely wipe your phone of everything on it besides the content on your sdcard. That means; user apps, settings, system tweaks, contacts… everything. All of these things can easily be restored using an app like Titanium Backup, or by syncing your gmail account (primary one, that’s linked to your google checkout account) on first boot, just make sure you are prepared. There are also other ways for backing up and restoring apps (plus app data) like the app Root Tools or using a manual or script-based approach. Be cautious of restoring system data though… it could potentially cause problems… you are usually better off just reconfiguring these settings manually… especially if you are switching between incompatible ROMs. This will bring you back to fully stock, unrooted, odexed android. Recognize these things and prepare yourself accordingly.
    • If the SBF goes through and you get to the point where its booting back up but you are stuck on a repeating bootanimation (aka bootlooping), DO NOT PANIC. This happens all the time when people SBF… this does not mean that your phone is bricked, or you are screwed in anyway. If this occurs, simply perform the standard procedure know as factory resetting;
    For Froyo: battery pull > reinstall battery > hold down the home button while powering up > press the search key when you see the exclamation point > navigate with the volume keys to “factory reset” > select with the camera button > navigate to yes > select > wait for it do its thing > use the back key twice to get back to the main menu (or the power button once) and select reboot system.
    For GB: battery pull > reinstall battery > hold down the home button while powering up > press both volumes when you see the exclamation point > navigate with the volume keys to “factory reset” > select with the power button > navigate to yes > select > wait for it to do its thing > use the power button once to go back to the main menu and select reboot system.

Hopefully this time it will boot up normally and all will be well again. If for some reason it doesn’t, repeat the process one more time. If it still doesn’t work, then perform another SBF procedure and factory reset. If it still doesn’t work… report it… but hopefully this never will happen (so far the DX track record is pretty good)
    • I am hoping this one is obvious to you… lol… but please remember to plug in your android device to your computer before attempting to run the SBF script.
    • And lastly… understand that I am not personally responsible for your device and that you assume the risk associated with sbf’ing (although it is relatively low). I am more than willing to help you troubleshoot, but I am not personally responsible if your brick. Make sure to take precautionary measures like confirming the checksum and/or file size to ensure that you have a complete download before attempting to flash anything. Always take the extra time to read or ask questions if you have them BEFORE SBF’ing rather than afterward.
    **Please note that up until post #299, the comments in this thread are referring to the previous release SBFportable which was an attempt at a standalone exe; due to complications with usb connectivity through the portable VM, I decided to go a different route and make a simplified installer that adds an extra item to your windows boot menu for entering SBF mode; hence the name change to SBFboot.**

That's all for now. Enjoy.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Last edited by WugFresh; 09-26-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: SBFboot released!
    fasthair, mkgyvr, spodoc and 26 others like this.
    Easy method for SBF'ing your phone back to stock
    + SBFboot - the easy way to sbf
    Best ways to improve your phones overall performance:
    + How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed
    Wireless tethering on GB simplified
    + WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]
    Other helpful resources:
    + Deodexing Explained + How To
    + [One Stop] Rom Goodies, Extras, Mods & More

..:: Follow me on Twitter and Google+::..

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 1.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    You guys amaze me!

From my Liberated Gingerbread (v0.5) Droid X

Constantly Flashing, and Loving it!
    My to-do list is so long, I really shouldn't be here. BACK TO WORK!

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 13.4%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thank you this is awesome!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Informant
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    This all gets better and better.

Supporting Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Great work Wug, gave it a sticky..

(Swypin' .595 while watching Netflix on the go)

Where my time is spent away from the office!

Droid X Forums Guidelines of Conduct

X Operative
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Thank you very much! You guys rock face!
    Gingerbread and what not

Agent X
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 2.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    WOW, amazing... Thanks again Wug and everyone else who contributed!

You all are true assets to the android community.

Don't know what we are talking about? Check the Android Dictionary
    Think you know what to do? Look at THIS first.
    Root .602 & .605 info here.

Need to SBF? Try this.

DROOOID Notification Sound

Gingerbread Red "M" Boot Logo

Froyo White "M" Boot Logo

X Operative
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have not tried it out yet, nor have I tried 1kds's cd either... Although I have downloaded it, just in case I ever needed it. whats the difference between this and 1kds being that its actually part of it? Sorry for the ? But knowledge is everything. I just want to know it all when I decide to sbf when ota gb is full proof to be rooted ;-)

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXL View Post
    Have not tried it out yet, nor have I tried 1kds's cd either... Although I have downloaded it, just in case I ever needed it. whats the difference between this and 1kds being that its actually part of it? Sorry for the ? But knowledge is everything. I just want to know it all when I decide to sbf when ota gb is full proof to be rooted ;-)

This doesn't require a disc, a flashdrive, or anything. You don't even have to reboot or close out of your apps. Just double click the exe and it will load a VM (virtual machine) linux environment in its own window within windows and will allow you to SBF through that. It might take slightly longer to load up though. This is only the first release. In the next one I am going to try and collaborate with 1KDS and work more on the actual linux script and distro, to optimize startup time, and eliminate the need to press "1" all together. I am going to make it so that it just starts with a splash screen with helpful reminders, warnings, and instructions... and then the user plugs their phone in and presses next... and then everything else will be fully automated. Right now, its just my automated framework, with 1KDS's disc utilized inside. Once we are working on it together.. the next release will truly be the easiest and most reliable method for anyone to use.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Easy method for SBF'ing your phone back to stock
    + SBFboot - the easy way to sbf
    Best ways to improve your phones overall performance:
    + How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed
    Wireless tethering on GB simplified
    + WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]
    Other helpful resources:
    + Deodexing Explained + How To
    + [One Stop] Rom Goodies, Extras, Mods & More

..:: Follow me on Twitter and Google+::..

X Operative
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Omg, wow that is easy! This thread is just full of knowledge and talent! So what your saying is.... A case man could do it! :-)

Sent from the sweet liberated rooted gbdx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Ads