SBF - Detailed Guide for Success - Windows 7

This is a discussion on SBF - Detailed Guide for Success - Windows 7 within the Droid X SBF forums, part of the Droid X Rescue Squad category; There seems to be a lot of people having issues while doing an .sbf flash in RSD Lite. I for one, have never had any ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: SBF - Detailed Guide for Success - Windows 7

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times

Lightbulb SBF - Detailed Guide for Success - Windows 7

There seems to be a lot of people having issues while doing an .sbf flash in RSD Lite. I for one, have never had any issues what so ever, so I am going to post detailed instructions on the process I use for a successful .sbf flash.

Ready your machine! I am doing this from a Windows 7 x64 (64 bit) machine, in other versions of Windows, this process should be very similar.

More details and support can be found here as well: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...ing-guide.html and a big thanks to aderschramm as well for putting the guide together and influencing me put this one together!

(YOU MUST HAVE A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY!)

Please also note, that if you have two drives, physical or logical (a C: drive and a data D: drive) please make sure that all files related and that are being use by RSD are on the primary C:\ drive! So move the .sbf file from the data D: drive to the root of the C: drive as explained below.

(DO NOT CONNECT PHONE TO PC UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO)
    (DO NOT OPEN RSD LITE 4.8 UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO)

Step 1.) Download the drivers from here and install them, you will only the Motorola USB Drivers (for Windows) download.
    USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

Step 2.) Download and install RSD Lite version 4.8, using TBH App or from here. New Full SBF for Droid X - 2.3.340

When RSD Lite 4.8 is installed, right click on the icon, choose properties, then choose the "Compatibility" tab, and make sure "Run this program as administrator" is checked.

Step 3.) Download the Full System 2.3.340 SBF file from the same link above. When the file is downloaded, place it in the root of your C: drive, so the file location is C:\VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf.

File size should be 255 MB zipped (268,164,103 bytes) and 434 MB (456,081,917 bytes) unzipped.

Here is the md5 checksum: f72e60fac2f4478ae5fd81b18eb8d01e (This if for the actual files, not the .zip! Unzip first then check.)

Step 4.) Turn the phone OFF, connect to USB to PC, then boot phone into bootloader, by holding down the camera button + volume down button and pressing the power button, then release.

When your phone boots into bootloader, Win 7 should start to install a firmware driver for the phone, let it finish BEFORE you open RSD Lite.

Step 5.) After the driver installs, you may now OPEN RSD LITE 4.8. RSD Lite should recognize you device, but hit the "show device" button anyways. I like assurance.

Step 6.) Hit the browse button, and navigate to the C: drive and select the VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf file.

Step 7.) Hit the start button!

Do not interrupt this process! You could potentially brick your phone! Once it is finished, RSD Lite will tell you that its finished, DO NOT TAKE THE PHONE OFF THE USB CABLE! Hit the power button on the phone to bring up the black screen, then take it off the USB cable and turn the phone back on.

If you get stuck in a boot loop after the SBF process, battery pull, boot into stock recovery (power button + home button) wipe data and cache, then reboot.

I hope this is clear for everyone who has issues!

If this does not work for you, please see below for more solutions!

Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post

1. Uninstall RSD lite completely: this means from control panel, then
    2. Download CCleaner and run a registry clean and regular clean
    3. Right click on your RSD lite installation
    4. Troubleshoot compatibility
    5. Try recommend settings
    5. Start program...
    6. let it install.
    7. Check my previous tip about using msconfig to minimize start up processes
    8. Restart computer
    9. Follow macpro's guide for SBF'ing

{{ WugFresh }}

Here's the solution to my stuck at 97% problem:

1. Open a txt document with notepad
    2. Select the code below and paste it into the txt doc
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000000
    3. File > Save As... > Save as type > All Files (*.*) > name the file tooltip_disable.reg and save it somewhere you can access it easily.
    4. Double click that reg file you created and hit accept/ok to whatever it asks you
    5. This will modify your registry so that tooltips are disabled in your notification bar, which can interfere with the SBF process towards the end of it when its loads RAM.

If you ever want to re-enable tooltips, repeat the steps above, but name your file tooltip_enable.reg and use this code instead:

Code:

"ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000001
    More solutions coming... I have a bunch...

{{ WugFresh }}

Ok... more windows tips

How to minimize background processes that could interfere

1. Go to start menu and type msconfig and then hit enter
    2. Go to Startup tab
    3. Deselect everything that is not a CORE processes... don't start anything that doesn't need too (including antivirus)
    5. Apply, ok
    6. Reboot later
    7. Disconnect from internet
    8. Reboot

^^ This ensures that your computer will be dedicated to running RSD lite when you do so. ^^

More tips coming... writing a quick batch script to prioritize RSD lite and moto drivers... one sec...

{{ WugFresh }}

Ok here's another one,

How to re-initiate moto drivers before SBF'ing and how to launch RSD Lite with the highest priority

3. File > Save As... > Save as type > All Files (*.*) > name the file rsd_launcher.bat and save it somewhere you can access it easily.
    4. Double click that bat file you created to reset moto drivers and launch RSD Lite with the highest priority

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    mode con:cols=50 lines=10
    color 3
    echo.
    echo RSD_Lite Launcher by WugFresh
    PATH   %PATH%;%~dp0;c:\windows\system32;%PROGRAMFILES%\Motorola\MotoHelper;%PROGRAMFILES%\Motorola\RSD   Lite;%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Motorola\MotoHelper;%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Motorola\RSD  Lite
    TASKKILL /IM MotoHelperAgent.exe /F > NUL
    TASKKILL /IM MotoHelperService.exe /F > NUL
    TIMEOUT /T 4
    START /REALTIME SDL.exe
    {{ WugFresh }}

If all else fails, try Linux Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro)

(You do not have to install Linux for this to work, you can download and burn to a CD or USB stick and run the Linux distro from a live CD/USB, instructions at your favorite Linux distro site )

Complete Details here!

Linux and sbf_flash

sbf_flash is a free utility for the Linux operating system. I've had the most success with this program and I highly recommend it to anyone attempting to sbf their phone. It is very simple to use and Linux doesn't have the same problem with drivers that Windows has. It. Just. Works.

I recommend:

Files you'll need:

Instructions:
    1: Download the Ubuntu image. It's an .iso file - this means it can be burned onto a cd/dvd. Do so.
    2: Once the burn is complete, reboot your computer, set your bios to boot from cd/dvd if you have to.

3: Ubuntu's Menu will appear, select "Try" to boot into the OS without altering your current setup.

4: Download the .sbf_flash utility and the proper .sbf file (bonus points if you have them on a flash drive ^^)
    5: Flash the image onto your phone:

• Extract the .sbf file to a directory (e.g. Documents)
    • Place the sbf_flash file into the same directory
    • Open up a terminal window
    • Change to the directory that the files are in. [cd] is the command you use, so if in Documents, type [cd Documents]
    • Ubuntu is caps sensitive, so you need to type the capital "D", if you type "ls" it lists all the files in the current directory you're in, so type [ls], if you see the files, you're golden.
    • Type [chmod +x sbf_flash] (ignore brackets) – this command makes sbf_flash an executable. If you've been rooting your phone with ADB Tools you've seen this command before.
    • Type [sudo ./sbf_flash [name of sbf file, starts with 'VRZ_']] (once again ignore the brackets) – this command runs the sbf_flash file. 'sudo' is the linux-y way of 'running as administrator' in Windows.
    • It will prompt you for your password - enter it.

Linux pro tip: type [./sbf_flash V] and then [tab]. This will autofill the rest of the name of the .sbf file for you :laugh:

That's it!

This is directly from maderschramm's thread here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...ing-guide.html

Credit goes to him for originally posting this guide, great work madershcramm!

For even more info on the SBF process in a Linux environmnet from a live CD/USB stick, see here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html#post267721 Credit goes to 1KDS for putting this together!

Last edited by macpro88; 05-31-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added details

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    @ Macpro88 Thanks for the guide.

Things I ran into in case anyone else sees them.

The first thing I ran into using this guide was the phone powering on when I attached it to my laptop. I connected with it powered on since it was booting it anyway and verified the phone was detected. Once detected I selected the SBF file and clicked start and it rebooted the phone into the bootloader.

The next issue I had was RSD Lite stated that I needed to reboot the phone manually but did not state it had completed. From your guide I knew the phone could possibly boot loop (Which it was) so I proceeded with removing the battery and booting it into recovery to wipe the data/factory reset.

I'm now restoring apps on my Rooted GB DX

This was my first SBF and I appreciate yours and all the other post regarding this topic.
    MIUI

X Operative
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Grabbed those drivers earlier today from your sig. Everything went along like normal, even being my brand new pc. Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App
    A 9mm may expand, but a .45 will never shrink.

I don't have an anger problem,
    I have an idiot problem.

Trespassers will be shot,
    Survivors will be shot again.

Advocate X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 31.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    454 times
    Here's the solution to my stuck at 97% problem:

Code:

"ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000000
    3. File > Save As... > Save as type > All Files (*.*) > name the file tooltip_disable.reg and save it somewhere you can access it easily.
    4. Double click that reg file you created and hit accept/ok to whatever it asks you
    5. This will modify your registry so that tooltips are disabled in your notification bar, which can interfere with the SBF process towards the end of it when its loads RAM.

If you ever want to re-enable tooltips, repeat the steps above, but name your file tooltip_enable.reg and use this code instead:

Code:

"ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000001
    More solutions coming... I have a bunch...

{{ WugFresh }}
    Easy method for SBF'ing your phone back to stock
    + SBFboot - the easy way to sbf
    Best ways to improve your phones overall performance:
    + How To Optimize Battery Life & Speed
    Wireless tethering on GB simplified
    + WugPacked GB Tether Patch [All-In-One Zips]
    Other helpful resources:
    + Deodexing Explained + How To
    + [One Stop] Rom Goodies, Extras, Mods & More

..:: Follow me on Twitter and Google+::..

X Operative
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I sbf'd from the leaked GB back to this. Not sure if it was because I was on GB or not, but I had to hold down both volume up and down buttons, not just the down button. Small difference I know...

Also had to wipe cache and data reset due to bootloop.

Thanks for the write-up
    Last edited by rubi22; 03-29-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    GBleezy likes this.

I made the .reg file. When I double clicked it I got this message:

Cannot import. The following file is not a registry script. you can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor. Any suggestions?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Glad this is working for you guys, will ad more details soon.

DroidXForums Guidelines of Conduct
    Show Your Support and Become a Supporting Member Today!

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

Quote Originally Posted by djspikezz View Post
    I made the .reg file. When I double clicked it I got this message:

Cannot import. The following file is not a registry script. you can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor. Any suggestions?

Never mind figured out I needed to add the:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 above the code heheh! Just cut and pasted the code without that.

Now to see if I can SBF now

Update: Using WIN 7 x64, Current Moto drivers/RSD lite 8 as suggested.

***Tried flashing, Still getting same msg: Failed flashing process. Phone[0000] Phone did not re-enumberate after RAM downloader was sent.

Im soo stuck no clue what to do. I've never had problems flashing previous .SBF's in the past...
    Last edited by djspikezz; 03-29-2011 at 10:29 PM.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    so... i download the files, follow the directions, and flash gingerbread to my phone... Will i still be rooted, or do i have to give that up? Also, will I have to re-download all my programs, and re-set up my phone, or will this be similar to an OTA of an update?
    sorry, noob here, and want to weigh all my options before i start all this, and want to now if it is worth the trouble. THANKS!!!

by the way, did anyone see the rant on twitter by @alldroid? sounds like there is some trouble with this program / downloads. Anyone have any insight to all this?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 64.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djspikezz View Post

Now to see if I can SBF now

Update: Using WIN 7 x64, Current Moto drivers/RSD lite 8 as suggested.

***Tried flashing, Still getting same msg: Failed flashing process. Phone[0000] Phone did not re-enumberate after RAM downloader was sent.

Im soo stuck no clue what to do. I've never had problems flashing previous .SBF's in the past...
    Try moving the sbf file to /motorola/rsd lite/

From the X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads