How to UN-Root the Droid X

This is a discussion on How to UN-Root the Droid X within the Droid X RS Guides forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; This was posted on Droid Forums by bmt626 . http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ng-droidx.html How to Un-Root your Droid X. "i am not to blame if you brick your ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How to UN-Root the Droid X

X Operative
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience PointsThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

How to UN-Root the Droid X

This was posted on Droid Forums by bmt626 . http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ng-droidx.html

How to Un-Root your Droid X.

"i am not to blame if you brick your phone by trying this but i just did all the steps again and everythign worked out just fine for me now i had not removed any apks from the phone only installed wifi tether

okay to un root you device you need to go back to the folder where you droidxroot files normally
    for me this was c:\droidxroot_v2
    then do follow some steps from the root process

Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid"
    Run "adb shell"
    Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
    Run "chmod 755 exploid"
    On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
    IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
    Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.
    Run "rootshell". You'll be prompted for a password.
    Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")

now this is were things change instead of copying the files we will remove them

rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    rm /system/bin/su
    rm /system/bin/busybox

finally remove the rootshell

rm /system/bin/rootshell
    reboot

now keep in mind i did not remove and bloatware apps please try and too a wipe before attempting this if you removed bloatware to ensure it will come back as it should "

Happy Un-rooting if need to be
    Last edited by Mojo; 07-23-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    Sam, 91STT, baniels and 2 others like this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

For those wondering, unroot is NOT required for update (I can confirm, I just updated). However, certain apps (bloatware) that you might have removed ARE required for update. I'm guessing the apps directly affected by an update are the required ones. For me, I reinstalled:

CityID
    CarDock
    Blockbuster
    Mobile 3G Hotspot
    Visual Voicemail

to update to 604. AmazonMP3 and Skype are not required to update to 604.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    So, if I am to go in and rename apk files to zip is reinstalling them as simple as renaming them back to apk?

Quote Originally Posted by Callidux View Post
    For those wondering, unroot is NOT required for update (I can confirm, I just updated). However, certain apps (bloatware) that you might have removed ARE required for update. I'm guessing the apps directly affected by an update are the required ones. For me, I reinstalled:

CityID
    CarDock
    Blockbuster
    Mobile 3G Hotspot
    Visual Voicemail

to update to 604. AmazonMP3 and Skype are not required to update to 604.
    I'm having problems updating to 604. I think its the blockbuster app. I removed it, but then reinstalled it. however it won't start, just shows a black screen when I try to start the app. any idea where I can get another good blockbuster.apk file? thanks

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I had the same problem with blockbuster. To remove it from my phone I had just copied the .apk to my Sdcard. When I moved it back I got the black sreen as you mentioned. I went back to my Sdcard and this time installed the .apk that I had moved and this time it worked. You can get blockbuster from the market.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
    I'm having problems updating to 604. I think its the blockbuster app. I removed it, but then reinstalled it. however it won't start, just shows a black screen when I try to start the app. any idea where I can get another good blockbuster.apk file? thanks
    If you removed it with root explorer you might have to change the permissions when you put it back, just long press on the app in system/app and then click on permissions and check the boxes that the other apps that work have checked.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    if you used the command prompt to remove the programs how would you bring those back?
    Even a Piece of paper has two sides

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Successfully Un-Rooted. Thank you. I had no problems rooting or unrooting but I wanted to read up more so I can take full advantage of rooting, perhaps I will play with my spare Droid first that way if I brick it, it wont sting so bad. No to mention until roms etc come out other than removing bloat ware I really didnt need to root I guess. Thanks for all the great info on this site, I really look forward to learning more and using the full potential of the android operating system.

Jamie

X Lurker
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xero2099 View Post
    if you used the command prompt to remove the programs how would you bring those back?

I found this link for all the default apps loaded on the droid x

http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/
    espnguru likes this.

I'm still new to this rooting thing for the droid x since it's my first android phone. My phone is already rooted but if I do a factory reset, does this make it unrooted? Or does it simply reinstall all the bloatware onto the phone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads