Droid X not working - Process system is not responding

This is a discussion on Droid X not working - Process system is not responding within the Droid X Rescue Squad forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hi, I am having trouble with my Droid X. The problems started when we changed outlook at work and I accidentally copied the 12000 address ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid X not working - Process system is not responding

X Lurker
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 1.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Droid X not working - Process system is not responding

Hi, I am having trouble with my Droid X. The problems started when we changed outlook at work and I accidentally copied the 12000 address corporate address book to "my contacts" in Outlook... where it promptly synched to the droid. At that point, the phone was (understandably) slow... so I first hid those contacts, no help, then I changed that exchange account to not sync contacts... no help. So I dealt with the phone running really slow (30 seconds to pull up dialer) for 3 weeks until I had time to work on it.

When I got time, I read some articles and decided to download an app to completely wipe all the contacts.... so I went about changing all mail accounts (yahoo, gmail, other exchange to not sync) and then I deleted the exchange account that sent the 12000. Last I went into contacts and asked all of them to display... hoping the 12000 would have gone with the exchange account (no). Then I plugged the phone into the home desktop windows 7 computer to try to grab just the contacts on the phone with Verizon backup manager.... This is the first time the phone had been plugged into that computer. Now the phone won't do anything. It starts up in but will not come to a proper home screen... just the background with the applications button. When I hit that, I get the applications list, but it will not respond no matter what I pick... and no matter what I do, I eventually get an error message. Sorry! Process system is not responding and gives you options for force close and wait, neither of which yields anything useful and then it will reboot.

I would like to rescue the contacts on loaded on "phone" (about 200 that I thought had synched to my gmail account but had not) and also not loose all the apps I have loaded, but most of all I need the phone running again... please help.

I never "rooted" the phone (no idea what that is) but it has been plugged into multiple XP PC's (and 1 windows 7 one) but things seemed to get much worse after it was plugged into the windows 7 PC the first time.

THANKS.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    I would root the phone so you can have more options for fixing it, like permission fix with rom manager (root required) You might be able to boot into stock recovery and do a cache and delvic wipe,(don't wipe data or system)
    Below is how to get to stock recovery, both methods are the same, its the selecting (camera or power button) that is different but won't hurt anything by selecting one or the other.

For Froyo
    on the droid x

With phone unplugged pull battery and put it back in
    Press the hard home button first then power on at the same time "this should bring you to a screen with a triangle on it... If not repeat first step"
    Press the hard search key on your phone "this should take you stock recovery"
    Use the volume up and down key to navigate and camera to select

For Gingerbread
    on the droid x

With phone unplugged pull battery and put it back in
    Press the hard home button first then power on at the same time "this should bring you to a screen with a triangle on it... If not repeat first step"
    Press both volume up and down at the same time "this should get you into stock recovery"
    Use volume up and down keys to navigate and power on to select

Ridin the Mystic inverted jellybean unicorn on my Ktweaked SG3

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

OK, but...

I tried clearing the cache from stock recovery, it did not help. I must have GB because it took the 2 volume buttons to get to the stock recovery screen once on the triangle screen. I seem to remember a big update loading some time ago so that must be the GB update. I don't remember an option for delvic wipe, I will look again after the phone charges.

The instructions I see for rooting the phone require going into settings to turn on USB debugging (not sure if it is on or off), but I cannot get the phone to boot at all to access settings. Is there some way to start the phone in a limited mode to get to this?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP... I am really new to any of this...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    This may or may not help, worth a shot
    m-support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=34184

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    still similar problems... wont boot in safe mode to the point i can use menus... to access settings. I also once got a different error message: Application Google services Framework (in process com.google.process.gapps) is not responding. Force close wait. I googled this and found a lot of threads about corrupt data in contacts and calendar causing similar messages... so I figure I am on target with there being a problem with the contacts database.

When I have the phone plugged in to USB, it still charges and I can see in my windows explorer... not as a USB drive, but the other instance called motorola... windows 7 says it is a CD drive... weird.

Any way to access the contacts through the USB... to repair or delete them... I would dump the contacts at this point to get the phone back...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    your contacts should all be backed up on a google account with the built in sync settings, since your phone is not rooted,and it wont even boot up like it is supposed to, I would boot back to stock recovery as we talked about before and do a fatory reset. This will however erase EVERYTHING but will reset the phone and all settings and should bring it back to stock out of the box. This is completely up to you and I dont know if you have other things on the phone that you must have. This will not erase your SDcard so that will be safe. I dont have anyother ideas at this point other than the factory reset and I would root it afterwords so you can have more control over your phone and make backups incase this ever happens again. Where would you like to go from here?

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    While I am not too worried about the contacts at this point, I do not have all of them. I apparently never registered verizon backup assistant on this phone (did it on my wife's but not mine ugh!). I am more worried about the phone set-up, applications, etc. I suppose I could reload all of that as most was free... but it would take a while.

I have hope because I tried pulling the SD card thinking that maybe whatever was corrupted could be on it and now the phone will boot without an error, but it is in airplane mode. I am able to delete apps from the home screen, and I am able to get it to link to either the windows 7 or XP computer with the USB cable, but the hard buttons seem to do nothing... I cannot access anything with the menu button and I cannot get to settings through the apps menu which I see. I think the phone is still trying to sync because I see spinners on several widgets. I cannot get the wifi widgit or airplane mode widgit to do anything. I wonder if there is some way to stop the boot process and whatever is running in order to access settings and root the phone?

I will try booting again in safe mode to have fewer apps running also.

Any thoughts?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    I'm asking a friend to step in with his input, the issue is deeper than I ever had to go with the Dx. I think it has corrupt data in the system and is going to need to be wiped, you would be starting over but your phone would be working and that is worth it in my opinion, its up to you. Hopefully he can step in here and help keep that from being your only option

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    437 times
    He is thinking
    It's not easy without root

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, thanks, update... I did get it out of airplane mode and the wifi on now and have a strong signal... I think the cell radio also works because the time reset to the proper time. Most of the time, the phone will boot and the home screen eventually come up (10-20 minutes) then you can't do too much, almost anything either freezes to a black screen (except status bar) or freezes and causes a reboot, to the Droid screen then the eye. Booting into safe mode was no better and I see no specific difference whether the USB is plugged in or unplugged during the boot process. I suppose if no other ideas tomorrow, I will do the hard reset. THANKS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads