Battery issues

This is a discussion on Battery issues within the Droid X Rescue Squad forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hey there, I'm sure there are plenty of posts on this same issue, but I can't seem to find a viable solution among any. I ...

Thread: Battery issues

X Informant
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Battery issues

Hey there, I'm sure there are plenty of posts on this same issue, but I can't seem to find a viable solution among any. I have a Droid X, been using the same battery that came with it for maybe 2+ years now. I have been flashing the MIUI V4 ICS rom weekly, but came to notice that each week my battery charge got worse and worse, recently is when it got worse. I could leave it charging for 2 days nonstop, and upon taking it off of the charger, could use it for maybe 5-10 min before it would die. Battery would drop, according to the status bar, from 99-98-97-50-dead within minutes. I assumed maybe it was a rom issue or incompatibility with my phone, so I decided to SBF back to stock GB and planned on just trying out different roms to see if it would fix it. Well, about 86% into a reflash using RSD Lite, screen on the phone started blinking, "code corrupt", "battery low cannot program", after leaving it on the charger for a good 6+ hours beforehand. Needless to say, the flash failed, and my phone was stuck at the bootloader. I didn't have a spare battery on hand, so I did a ghetto charge on it, mainly using a usb cord and cutting the ends off to use the red/black wires for a charge, this would charge the battery and I could get up to maybe 80% of a reflash before it would die or get too low again. I finally broke down and wedged the red/black wires in between the battery terminals and the phone terminals, propping the battery in, and managed to do a full reflash. Now the issue is that I have an "invalid battery" and can't charge at all, tried removing the battery overnight, no luck, tried ghetto charging it some more so it would have more charge, no good. I can't even root my phone using the one click root method to try and clear battery stats via clockwork, which I assume has to do with the invalid battery issue. I flashed the 2.3.4 SBF btw. Is there any possible way to clear the invalid battery and get it to at least keep charged while plugged into a charger, besides trying a new battery? I have a new battery ordered thru a store here in town, but it will be a week before it shows up, and I can't even be sure that I won't get the invalid battery issue with that one as well. Surely there's a fix out for this by now? Thank you for your assistance, and sorry for the long post.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgkamui View Post
    Hey there, I'm sure there are plenty of posts on this same issue, but I can't seem to find a viable solution among any. I have a Droid X, been using the same battery that came with it for maybe 2+ years now. I have been flashing the MIUI V4 ICS rom weekly, but came to notice that each week my battery charge got worse and worse, recently is when it got worse. I could leave it charging for 2 days nonstop, and upon taking it off of the charger, could use it for maybe 5-10 min before it would die. Battery would drop, according to the status bar, from 99-98-97-50-dead within minutes. I assumed maybe it was a rom issue or incompatibility with my phone, so I decided to SBF back to stock GB and planned on just trying out different roms to see if it would fix it. Well, about 86% into a reflash using RSD Lite, screen on the phone started blinking, "code corrupt", "battery low cannot program", after leaving it on the charger for a good 6+ hours beforehand. Needless to say, the flash failed, and my phone was stuck at the bootloader. I didn't have a spare battery on hand, so I did a ghetto charge on it, mainly using a usb cord and cutting the ends off to use the red/black wires for a charge, this would charge the battery and I could get up to maybe 80% of a reflash before it would die or get too low again. I finally broke down and wedged the red/black wires in between the battery terminals and the phone terminals, propping the battery in, and managed to do a full reflash. Now the issue is that I have an "invalid battery" and can't charge at all, tried removing the battery overnight, no luck, tried ghetto charging it some more so it would have more charge, no good. I can't even root my phone using the one click root method to try and clear battery stats via clockwork, which I assume has to do with the invalid battery issue. I flashed the 2.3.4 SBF btw. Is there any possible way to clear the invalid battery and get it to at least keep charged while plugged into a charger, besides trying a new battery? I have a new battery ordered thru a store here in town, but it will be a week before it shows up, and I can't even be sure that I won't get the invalid battery issue with that one as well. Surely there's a fix out for this by now? Thank you for your assistance, and sorry for the long post.
    This just screams bad battery too me. I'd guess you fried the chip on the LI-ION when you hot-charged it. That can cause tons of issues because voltages in are no longer being regulated. I would hope it didn't cause any damage beyond that.

FWIW, this has nothing to do with battery stats. There is something physically wrong to get that message.

Sent from my SCH-I535

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I noticed the battery had some swelling goin on before I even attempted any of this, and went hunting for a new one, but it will be a week before it shows up, so I wanted to at least get it working while on the charger in the meantime. Unfortunately, with the invalid battery issue I can't even do that. You are most likely correct Goose, I prolly fried the chip in the battery, at the worst hopefully, and I will cross my fingers that the new battery doesn't give me the same error, since I have no carrier or insurance, and replacing the phone is a bit out of my budget :/

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    On a side note, could the invalid battery also be preventing me from rooting via the one click root method?

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just an update, tried 3 different brand new batteries and still giving the "invalid battery" message... Surely there's a way to override this? I saw a post about the Razr V3 or something similar, that has a chip of some sort on the board near the battery terminal.. and to bypass the invalid battery message you just disconnect the chip. Is there a similar process for the DX? Or maybe a way to flash a rom or firmware with a bypass built in, idk.

Remove Ads

Ads