Droid X Screen Flicker Issue - Once And For All

This is a discussion on Droid X Screen Flicker Issue - Once And For All within the Droid X Rescue Squad forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hi. I own a Droid X, and like a lot of people, the bottom third of my display started to flicker. Now, over the last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Droid X Screen Flicker Issue - Once And For All

X Lurker
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Droid X Screen Flicker Issue - Once And For All

Hi.

I own a Droid X, and like a lot of people, the bottom third of my display started to flicker. Now, over the last couple of months all of the screen with the exception of like 1/2" on the top is so intermittent it's hit or miss as to whether I'll be able to use it for anything.

I've seen a lot of posts on this topic, but nothing definitive as to what the problem is, or what (short of replacing the phone) can be done to correct the problem.

Most of the posts regarding this issue are over two years old and the only actual solution then was to go back to Verizon and get the phone replaced; something that I'm confident by now is not an option anymore.

It's obvious that this is a much larger problem than either Verizon or Motorola would ever admit to, and it's a shame that anyone who has this issue with their phone now is pretty much SOL getting it replaced.

Displays are expected to last the life of the phone. Our definition of lifetime and a service providers vary greatly. Our version of lifetime is you get a new phone when you WANT to; lifetime to a Service Provider is the length of your contract.

I love this phone, but if you can't see it, it's nothing more than a paperweight.

Ok, I'll stop. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to repair this issue, I'd sure appreciate it.

Gynotai

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 64.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Maybe try replacing the screen with a new one?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saul1991 View Post
    Maybe try replacing the screen with a new one?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Hi.

Thank you for replying. Will replacing the screen solve the problem? Like 20 minutes after I posted the original message (of this thread) the display was almost solid. I'm an Electronics Technician by trade, and this doesn't make sense, the display coming and going like this. I'm thinking if the problem was the screen, wouldn't it always be the same?

Another weird thing is when I run my finger from the top to the bottom of the screen and the Notifications screen comes on, all the notifications listed are rock solid; no flicker whatsoever.

When Icons are on the screen, they don't flicker; only the background does.

This leads me to believe it might not be the screen, but perhaps the electronics that drive it.

I have a Stock Ticker on my phone that scrolls across the screen, and I thought it might be that, so I completely removed it from my phone and did a battery pull with no change.

Is there anyone here that has fixed this problem not by replacing the phone?

Thanks!

Gyn

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gynotai View Post
    Hi.

Thank you for replying. Will replacing the screen solve the problem? Like 20 minutes after I posted the original message (of this thread) the display was almost solid. I'm an Electronics Technician by trade, and this doesn't make sense, the display coming and going like this. I'm thinking if the problem was the screen, wouldn't it always be the same?

Another weird thing is when I run my finger from the top to the bottom of the screen and the Notifications screen comes on, all the notifications listed are rock solid; no flicker whatsoever.

When Icons are on the screen, they don't flicker; only the background does.

This leads me to believe it might not be the screen, but perhaps the electronics that drive it.

I have a Stock Ticker on my phone that scrolls across the screen, and I thought it might be that, so I completely removed it from my phone and did a battery pull with no change.

Is there anyone here that has fixed this problem not by replacing the phone?

Thanks!

Gyn

Hi.

Did I stump the panel? If the only solution is to replace the screen or phone, I'm afraid I'll opt for the phone. With an (dare I say) iPhone.

When it comes to my money, I only give companies one chance. When a product fails prematurely, and the only answer to fix it is to buy another one, I do; just not theirs.

Gyn

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    I'm leaning towards it being the digitizer. The screen sounds like it's fine.

You can rule out a software bug with an sbf. Then reinstall apps individually to see if one of them is the culprit. The sbf will give you a factory-fresh system. It's maybe a bit extreme, but in the end may save you time by not having to try this or that quick possible fix. If the problem persists on a clean system it's in the hardware. There are quite a few videos and tutorials on digitizer replacement by now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

X Lurker
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    my phone started doing this as well.... goes away when i leave it plugged in for awhile...bought a new phone already..

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 21.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    Sorry for your screen problems!! Did you get a new x or a new phone?

****May's Galaxy****

X Lurker
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I got LG Lucid for cheap... No roms, lame lg UI, but the 4G is nice. It'll do til a better option becomes available

X Lurker
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone know what the correct Torx tools are for this replacement? I've seen 2 different sets on eBay, with the screen. One comes with T-3 and T-4 tools. The other comes with T-5 and T-6 tools.

Hi, I am the owner of now two Droid Xs, and have issues with both. The one I am using, I just got yesterday from a kind stranger who overheard my complaining at my other phone for its many annoying problems. Anyway, this one is in great condission at first look. It is at least over two years old, but has no scratches or obvious damage whatsoever. When I turned it today though, it was flickering and flashing. It stopped by the time I found this forum and signed in to it. The entire screen was flashing, but not bad enough to be unusable. It makes me nervous as I can't afford a new phone of any kind and have no other internet devices, except the cracked Droid X that is almost too mentally damaged to use and I can't type a word on it.My cracked one, I bought in brand new (looking) condition, about a year ago from some guy on the street for $10. It worked fine untill I bropped it from about a foot and a half above a carpeted floor and the screen shattered! I could not believe it. It then continued to work, though made reading small print harder, but started having problems a couple of weeks later, like opening apps when I didn't toutch them and shaking between screens, even tefusing to do some things at times. Then, I dropped it in swamp water while hiking and ot still worked after drying out, but gradually and slowing started having more problems. Now, when I trype on it, it adds random letters/symbols, offers numbers in place of some letters, and of I hit the backspace button, it deletes everything one letter at a time and nothing will stop it.The nattery life is shot on both of the phones, worse on the one that works better. The cracked one will at least last about 45 minutes with a full battery, but the good phone won't even last 15 minutes! I guess I could try swithing the batteries.I would advise anyone to not get a Droid X. Especially not a used one, even it looks brand new. Just splurge for something new and better. Unless you like typing jiberish and getting mad every time you try to play your favorite games, just stay away from this phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads