Droid X - Stuck at exclamation - buttons combinations/battery pull = no results

This is a discussion on Droid X - Stuck at exclamation - buttons combinations/battery pull = no results within the Droid X Rescue Squad forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I created an account here as a very last resort to *hopefully* save my husband's Droid X phone. I am unfamiliar with tech-y lingo and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Droid X - Stuck at exclamation - buttons combinations/battery pull = no results

X Lurker
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Droid X - Stuck at exclamation - buttons combinations/battery pull = no results

I created an account here as a very last resort to *hopefully* save my husband's Droid X phone. I am unfamiliar with tech-y lingo and have spent the entire day reading up on related issues, talking to Verizon tech support, and visiting a local Verizon store.

Three days ago, the phone's four front buttons starting acting up. The first button (Settings?) would pull up Google search. The Home, Back, and Search buttons still worked properly. Also, the volume up key would bring up the home pages, and exit out of any applications that were open on the phone.

Last night, my husband powered down the phone, and plugged it into the wall charger. This morning, he went to power it on and nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. I've been messing with it all day, and found that if I plug the USB into my computer, a green light comes on in the front. I've gotten it to turn on a little when I plug it into the wall. The Setting and Home keys light up a little, the Motorola logo appears, then the Droid guy with an exclamation in a white triangle. I have tried literally all button pushing/combinations as advised in these forums, other droid forums, smartphone forums, and from Verizon tech, both over the phone (using my phone) and in the store. NOTHING has yielded any results. I've let it sit there for 5, 10, 1 hr, and up to 4 hrs to charge. I've taken the battery and SIM card out/put back in various ways ( ex - power off phone, take out battery, put back in, etc)

The *ONLY* new thing I have discovered is, and it is super fast so it took me a couple tries to figure out what it was, is now when the Droid guy/exclamation appear, an instant before it, in it's exact spot, it looks like an empty white-outline box appears with a red arrow angling out the top.

So, to re-cap.. Droid X won't turn on unless connected to wall charger. It will display Motorola/Droid guy with or without the battery in the back. I am unable to get any of the buttons/button combinations to give results.

And the kicker? Just expired from its year warranty and... last month we took off the insurance >_<

*Update
    I kept searching this site and after reading a bunch of threads, came to one about [h=2]How to Get Your Droid X Into the Bootloader[/h]I followed the first step and am hoping this is a good sign. I popped the battery out, replaced it, held down the volume down and camera, + the power, let go of the power and tapped it once, and a black screen with white text appeared. It read:
    Bootloader

(Flashing text)
    Battery Low
    Cannot Program

Do I simply need a new battery? That was my first thought when the hubb's mentioned his phone issues.. because he is rough in regards to charging and his battery life (he'll let it die, charge while running apps, rarely shuts the phone off to charge at night, etc)
    Last edited by stn06; 10-15-2011 at 07:45 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 12.8%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    200 times
    Have you tried pressing both volume buttons at the exclamation point? It used to be the search key, but that changed with the recent updates.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes I have, with no results. I have also tried it with other button combinations, and tapping in, holding for a second, holding for 12 seconds, etc. Thank you though.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    See if it will charge, leave it plugged in maybe over night. Then you can try to SBF flash it, this deletes everything on the phone and reinstalls the stock firmware. This may or may not fix the problem but it will rule out software issues. Check out the link in my signature for a few guides on SBF flashing, there is a Windows program called RSD Lite, it works very well for some people and nothing but problems for others, there are RSD Lite guides there and an alternative method also.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you! Now this might be a silly question, but does it matter where I charge it? Right now, I have the phone connected via USB to my iMac and it has a black screen with the little round green light glowing. When I use the wall charger, the Motorola then the Droid guy/exclamation picture always comes up, and I wonder if that will disrupt the charge? I can't get a blank screen when connected to the wall.

Again, thank you for all your help. I will connect the phone to my Windows computer tomorrow and follow the forum in your signature to attempt to fix it.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    You can also use your Mac to flash it if you like, you would use the "Linux solution to your...." thread. I would try charging it on the wall charger. Plug it in for a couple hours then unplug it and try to boot into the bootloader like you did earlier, if it says "battery ok, ok to program" then we know that charging method is working. At that point I would advise leaving it plugged in for a number of hours to ensure a full charge, you don't want the abttery to die in the middle of an SBF flash.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sweet! I'll look into that. Just moved the phone to the wall. Thank you again for all the help - it's greatly appreciated.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.6%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    If you can't get the battery to charge, you may need to find someone else with a DX and use their battery or have them charge your hubby's battery for you...

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    A last ditch effort to charge your battery would be to cut the charge cord. Strip back the red and black wires to expose bare wire, insulate the center two contacts on your battery then attach the red wire to + and the black wire to - on your battery with tape. Plug it in for a half hour or so and you should have enough juice to SBF if that's what you need to do... like I said, it's a last ditch effort if you have no other means to charge, but it does work and I have done it myself.. good luck.

Sent from my liberated DX

X Operative
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 5.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registeredCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    A last ditch effort to charge your battery would be to cut the charge cord. Strip back the red and black wires to expose bare wire, insulate the center two contacts on your battery then attach the red wire to + and the black wire to - on your battery with tape. Plug it in for a half hour or so and you should have enough juice to SBF if that's what you need to do... like I said, it's a last ditch effort if you have no other means to charge, but it does work and I have done it myself.. good luck.

Sent from my liberated DX
    Not saying it doesn't work. ( it does) nut isn't the safest method. If it doesn't charge just take it to a Verizon store and ask them to charge it

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads