Garbled and Disappearing Pictures

This is a discussion on Garbled and Disappearing Pictures within the Droid X Rescue Squad forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I have a Droid X, non-rooted, running Android 2.3.3. Since the update from 2.2 to 2.3.3 my device appears to be corrupting files on my ...

Thread: Garbled and Disappearing Pictures

X Lurker
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Garbled and Disappearing Pictures

I have a Droid X, non-rooted, running Android 2.3.3. Since the update from 2.2 to 2.3.3 my device appears to be corrupting files on my SD card. Photos will take, show for approx 1 second, then disappear (displaying grey blank icon), grey out part of the picture or mix the picture with several other pictures already on the SD card. A similar issue is occurring with MP3s on the SD card. I lost about 140 songs. Remaining songs will mix together so that I get two songs that will switch playing back and forth during playback of one file. My wife, has a Droid X with the exact same settings displaying the same issues. Here is what I have done to rectify:
    1. Power cycle,
    2. Batt pull with tapping power 3 times and holding down 20 sec and then putting batt in
    3. Copied files to computers format and place files back on card
    4. Switched SD cards, formatting before placing files back on new SD card.
    5. Settings/Apps/Manage Apps/Gallery apps, camera apps/ clear data.
    6. Restart and Power cycled again after above triage.

This has not fixed the issue. I have heard from sources that There is a recognized issue with 2.3.3 on Droid X's corrupting SD Cards and supposedly Motorola will replace the SD Card. However, if the SW issue is not resolved, I would think the new SD card would just corrupt as well.

My next step is to Hard reset the device, a step I was hoping to avoid. Does anyone know of any other solutions to this issue?

Thank you.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, did complete hard reset and SD card format. Now phone wont take picture. Well it takes them and the pictures disappeared immediately. I have had to unmount mount SD card twice since the hard reset just to be able to download apps. Using Thunderbolt as backup now. This sucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Having the same problem.

Any update? Im having the same problem also. Factory reset; formatted SD. Pictures, video and music are not viewable/playable on pc either.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Having same issues and my photos I have saved already take forever to load .Please help

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Lurker
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been having this same problem for a few months after updating to 2.3.3. Sometimes it will overwrite good pictures I've already taken. Contacted Motorola through their chat (I couldn't find how to email) and basically got no help. This is a MAJOR FAIL for Motorola! Don't know if I'll ever buy another Motorola product after this.

If anybody has any workarounds so that the camera will actually work, it would be much appreciated.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    final solution, Verizon replaced my phone . however I still had some issues. I then whent picture by picture and song by song and deleted any that where corupt. then formated card and just put back the good files. that worked. however, my overall solution is to use my upgrade and get a RAZR today.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I may have found a workaround. This hasn't been heavily tested but it seems to be working for me.

First I got the Vignette camera app as I saw it recommended on other posts here. It's about 3 or 4 dollars. IMHO the pictures through Vignette are a ton better than the stock gallery app. Not sure if it's a setting or what (I tried everything with the stock gallery after the 2.3.3 update the pictures were grainy and really disappointing). Through vignette the pictures are crisp and the app seems to respond faster so I can point and shoot quicker.

Anyway, occasionally using vignette it will tell me that it can't save because of an SD card error and it recommends restarting the phone. When this happens, I do the following:

1. Settings > Storage > Unmount SD Card
    2. Mount SD Card.
    3. Go to your task manager app and kill the Vignette app.
    4. Re-open Vignette.

This seems to work for me. Not sure if it would work for the stock gallery app or other camera apps. The incidence of pictures getting corrupted when I have to do this is a lot less too.

It seems like it's some low level bug with how the images are getting written to the SD card since it's happening across different camera apps and I've seen other posts where people have replaced the SD card as well and the issue still occurs. Hope this helps.

Remove Ads

Ads