Clockworkmod recovery freezes while trying to restore

This is a discussion on Clockworkmod recovery freezes while trying to restore within the Droid X Rescue Squad forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hello, please read the entire thread before flaming me for posting a new thread similar to others, I've been reading all of those threads for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clockworkmod recovery freezes while trying to restore

X Lurker Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Clockworkmod recovery freezes while trying to restore

Hello,

please read the entire thread before flaming me for posting a new thread similar to others, I've been reading all of those threads for the past 36 hours without being able to correct the issue. I used Clockwork 2.5.0.6 (note, since I'm using Clockwork I do have Bootstrap installed) to backup my phone, and it finished without any issues or errors. I then tried loading a ROM which locked up in a boot lock at what's normally the big MOTO "M" screen. I ended up trying to pull the battery a few times, tried everything I could find online to get the rom to work, and when it couldn't I just decided to load my recovery I had just made.

When trying to load the recovery I've wiped the cache, davik cache, restored to factory default, tried using the advanced restore and restoring each item individually (boot, system, data, etc) but it always (whether restoring the boot, system data, cache, etc in advanced mode, or simply putting it on auto pilot) hangs up when restoring data: Davik-Cache. All of the other's finish saying "restore complete!" (more on possible sd-ext issue later, but it doesn't freez). I gave it 30 minutes the first time, and it was still stuck there so I did a batt pull and tried again; stuck in the same place. I even went so far as to let it sit all night last night when I went to bed (about 6 hours) and when I woke up this morning it was still stuck on the "Restoring data: Davik Cache". I don't know if this is related at all, but when I go into the advanced menu and try to wipe the dalvik Cache it says "E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcvlk0p2 (file exists) but still gives me the option to go down and select "yes" to clear it and then says "Dalvik Cache Wiped".

There's another item that I'm unsure if it's related at all or not, but since you fine people are the experts, I'll put it out here and you guys can use it if it's important or disregard if it's not. Under the "Advanced Restore" menu when I try to "Restore sd-ext" It checks md5 sums but says "sd-ext.img not found. Skipping Restore of /sd-ext/. Restore complete!"

Since it's restoring my system and boot properly I'm able to boot my phone but I'm missing nearly all the apps. All the downloaded apps are missing, and a number of the pre-installed apps are also missing including the market app. My contacts, call logs, text history, etc is all present, but all the apps are gone. I could probably just manually download a market app and then try and restore everything in that fashion, but I'm unsure if the apps are the only missing (system wise that is) and if there's a way to fully restore the backup I made I'd much rather do that. The ironic part is, I made a backup so I could avoid this entire scenario... but here I am anyways.

Initially I wanted to just restore the backup to save myself the time of resetting all my settings, getting all my apps reinstalled not losing progress/settings in said apps, etc. But now that I've spent more time trying to restore than I would have manually reinstalling from a fresh factory wipe... It's more about principle now. I don't like letting technology beat me and admitting defeat.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Last edited by Alienyouth; 07-09-2011 at 10:50 AM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    what rom where you on when you tried to load a different rom and what rom was it?

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

X Lurker Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was trying to flash a liberty rom, but when it failed I still had my pre-rooted GB zip on my SD card. I've tried restoring from both the fouled up liberty rom as well as from the pre-rooted GB rom. I have the same issue from either.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    so what where you on when you tried flashing liberty? rooted gingerbread? I'm sure you know you could sbf back to froyo and start all over haha

If you think you have bricked your phone... do this.... stop look around say a few curse words then take a deep breath because you haven't we can fix this haha

X Lurker Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, but as I said, I was trying to avoid an SFB. At this point I'm capable of doing a factory wipe (since I'm on GB) and get back to my prerooted GB and start all over. But I'm hoping to avoid all that jazz. Is there no solution to get this restore to properly restore? Are there any other programs that I could try to restore from that would be compatible with the restore I made with Clockwork? I wouldn't be opposed to doing an SBF back to Froyo, upgrading withthe flashed rom and then trying to restore again with a different program.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    well it all depends on what you tried to flash when your phone locked up and bootlooped

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    but there arent any other programs to back up and restore I should add besides clockwork that we can run on the Droid X

X Lurker Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was on GB when I tried to Flash Liberty (apparently a big no no). Regardless, I've always thought of restores as bing similar to Ghosting a drive image. Regardless of the state of your HDD (internal memory) you can always format, and apply the image and be back where you started.

RS Team Leader
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 12.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    So what I gathered, you're booting up fine and the only issue you're having now is missing apps, including the market. Are you booting up in Liberty or just prerooted GB? If just GB, have you tried flashing the deodexed file? You'll most likely need to delete the backup. Advanced restore data should restore apps. Restoring dalvik cache is not needed.

Which version of Liberty did you try to install?

on the move..

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    well If you were trying to flash a gingerbread version of liberty you wouldn't have any issues... and nandroid backups made in clockwork are exact copies of your system but you cant replace a copy of say froyo image to a gingerbread image they are two differnt things which is why you cant. and if you tried to place liberty 2.0 (which is froyo based) onto gingerbread you have essentially corrupted your system which is why if a data wipe/factory reset doesnt work you need to sbf your phone or try to flash the pre rooted gingerbread files again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads