Need to return to stock recovery

This is a discussion on Need to return to stock recovery within the Droid X Rescue Squad forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hello, first time poster. My phone's USB port has been acting up lately, unable to keep a solid connection for more than a minute or ...

Thread: Need to return to stock recovery

X Lurker
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need to return to stock recovery

Hello, first time poster.

My phone's USB port has been acting up lately, unable to keep a solid connection for more than a minute or so at a time. I'd like to return it, but I can't do so with ClockworkRecovery on there, or it will be obvious that I've been messing with it.

I thought about SBFing it, but if I can't maintain a USB connection, then that won't really work, will it?

I've read that if I unroot my phone, it will stop ClockworkRecovery from running at book, but all of the unroot threads I find are ages old, and I'm not sure if they're still accurate on my current firmware (2.3.34).

Can someone help me? I'm still pretty new at all this, but good at following simple instructions.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Unrooting won't remove clockwork, you can remove clockwork following this guide, unroot using z4. I'm not sure what has been done to your phone, you can use maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip to go back to complete stock 2.3.340.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    For the first link you posted, are you referring to this section of text:

How to boot into stock recovery

Hold power button and and home hard key. When M screen appears, release home key. A screen with a small green Droid and an ! will appear. Push search hard key. Use volume rocker to select wipe data/cache then factory reset.

Will that REMOVE it, or is it just a one-time boot into stock recovery?

For the maderstock: Looks like I need to run that file from within Clockwork, but after it's done, then everything is back to the way it was before I started messing with ROMS and Bootstrapper, and what not. Correct?

Wow, what an awesome one-step solution. I'll give this a try a little later today.

As far as what has happened to my phone, I went from stock 2.3.34, installed Bootstrap Recovery, installed ApeX 1.3.0, upgraded to ApeX 1.3.1... then a month or so later I decided to restore my original backup to go back to stock 2.3.34. At that point, the restore froze halfway through... I rebooted my phone and it was as if it was a new setup in the stock firmware. I did a factory restore from inside the menus, and re-activated my phone, and that's where we're at today.

So the long of it is... I don't really know what the consequences of the freezing during restore were, but everything SEEMS to be fine now, except that I want to get rid of the ClockworkRecovery so that I can bring the phone back to Verizon and ask for a replacement under warranty.
    Last edited by drewmg; 01-29-2011 at 10:32 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drewmg View Post
    No, there are some commands in that thread you run in terminal emulator or root explorer, it is in the second post

For the maderstock: Looks like I need to run that file from within Clockwork, but after it's done, then everything is back to the way it was before I started messing with ROMS and Bootstrapper, and what not. Correct?
    Correct

As far as what has happened to my phone, I went from stock 2.3.34, installed Bootstrap Recovery, installed ApeX 1.3.0, upgraded to ApeX 1.3.1... then a month or so later I decided to restore my original backup to go back to stock 2.3.34. At that point, the restore froze halfway through... I rebooted my phone and it was as if it was a new setup in the stock firmware. I did a factory restore from inside the menus, and re-activated my phone, and that's where we're at today.
    Mader's update.zip will cure what ails ya, restores back to factory fresh .340

So the long of it is... I don't really know what the consequences of the freezing during restore were, but everything SEEMS to be fine now, except that I want to get rid of the ClockworkRecovery so that I can bring the phone back to Verizon and ask for a replacement under warranty.
    You can try to remove bootstrap and unroot, sometimes that works, sometimes not, there may be traces of root left (like superuser). The .340 update.zip is almost like an SBF.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I will go with the maderstock route. Seems the most likely to work for me, and remove any other residual issues as well. I will update here later if I have any problems.

Thanks so much for your help.

returning to stock for warranty on droid x

For the first link you posted, are you referring to this section of text:

How to boot into stock recovery

Hold power button and and home hard key. When M screen appears, release home key. A screen with a small green Droid and an ! will appear. Push search hard key. Use volume rocker to select wipe data/cache then factory reset.

Wow, what an awesome one-step solution. I'll give this a try a little later today.

Thank you. I sbf'd the droid x but it kept locking up on me so I couldn't get into the settings to wipe the cache. Your reply was exactly what I needed. All is good now. I wish this would have been part of the RFD lite 4.9 instructions. It would have saved me hours. Thanks again

Remove Ads

Ads