Motorola announces the Motorola Droid Pro

This is a discussion on Motorola announces the Motorola Droid Pro within the Droid X News forums, part of the Droid X News & Polls category; Verizon has officially announced the Motorola Droid Pro, the latest Droid which is aimed directly at business users. The words "Blackberry Killer" came to mind ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorola announces the Motorola Droid Pro

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 2.6%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times

Motorola announces the Motorola Droid Pro

Verizon has officially announced the Motorola Droid Pro, the latest Droid which is aimed directly at business users. The words "Blackberry Killer" came to mind when I first laid eyes on this device. The new Droid Pro will feature push-email, corporate-level security, smaller screen, Flash support, and Android 2.2. Check out the entire press release here: Verizon Announces the Motorola Droid Pro - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum and for all discussions visit the Droid Pro Forum!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I must be missing something. What does this offer "buisness users" that the X does not? They mention Push Exchange and Calendar sync, my X does that (post 2.2), they also mention all the other things the X does - VPN, Flash, "PC-like web browsing", Android 2.2, 3G Wi-Fi Hotspot, DLNA....etc. All stuff the X has.

Looks like the only thing I'm seeing is remote wipe of the storage, which I suppose could be good for IT shops where companies buy large quantities of phones to hand out and manage. But a lot of buisness users supply their own phone and expense part of the bill, so that's not so useful there.

All in all, it looks like the same processor as the X (no word on RAM, I'm guessing same), with a tiny phyiscal keyboard, smaller screen and lower res camera.

More to the point, I don't see the benefit of this over the 2. If I were a user that needed a physical keyboard for whatever reason, between this and the 2, I'd go with the 2. It does all the same stuff, has a bigger screen, a better keyboard, and more internal storage with a larger pre-installed SD Card. Just seems like this "pro" is about a year too late or something.
    Nextel i1000+ -> Motorola Razr V3 -> Droid X

X Operative Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    This will probably draw a ton of Blackberry users who are reluctant to give up their keyboard that they can type on with one hand while driving, walking, and bumping into stuff. Probably a good gateway device to bring them over to the Android side.

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Usquanigo View Post
    I must be missing something. What does this offer "buisness users" that the X does not?
    it looks like a blackberry.
    Troubles installing OTA 2.3.340 Update? Click Here

X Lurker
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Looks like a hurried job of trying to drive a coffin nail through RIM. They made themselves look like an easy target after the torch release, which actually HURT their market share. Droid Pro does not impress! It will be in the cheap bin within 3 months.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee223 View Post
    Looks like a hurried job of trying to drive a coffin nail through RIM. They made themselves look like an easy target after the torch release, which actually HURT their market share. Droid Pro does not impress! It will be in the cheap bin within 3 months.
    The Torch 9800 hurt their market share? That's surprising. That seems to be the baddest a** BB there is. I can't quite explain it, but I feel there is an element of "cool" to BB's, however the pricing, capabilties, and physical dimensions (of keyboards and screens) have always left a lot to be desired. But the Torch seemed like they were finally getting somewhere. Unfortunately, it didn't quite nail it because of price (why pay iPhone 4 pricing for something with less screen (and less res) on AT&T? If they even just doubled the storage and halved the price, they'd have a winner (IMO), but combine that with an industry standard 3.7" screen size and it would rock).

I was a little surprised to see it be an AT&T exclusive though. I can say that that will help drop their market share by about 4 units fairly soon, as we are a Verizon shop, and while the C-level guys love their BBs, I've been flying the Droid banner and trying to sway them, and making progress. The killer is that the Storm II just can NOT compete on a $$ level with the Droid 2. Broken down on a rational level, reviews and complaints of the Storm aside, the CEO has now written off BB and will eventually go D2. The VP/COO will follow. Eventually the 2 sales people we suppleid with phones will as well, I'm sure. (though maybe DP now? Good lord.... that just hit me, "DP", what a name lol)
    Nextel i1000+ -> Motorola Razr V3 -> Droid X

X Operative Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjackpot View Post
    it looks like a blackberry.
    I guess that's it

X Operative
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It's probably a good phone, but the 2 seems better and the X better yet. I don't want a physical KB.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.6%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    358 times
    I personally think this one will do well for VZW. It is gonna attract those Blackberry users who wanted to jump to Android but didn't want to give up the Blackberry form factor.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Usquanigo View Post
    The Torch 9800 hurt their market share? That's surprising. That seems to be the baddest a** BB there is. I can't quite explain it, but I feel there is an element of "cool" to BB's, however the pricing, capabilties, and physical dimensions (of keyboards and screens) have always left a lot to be desired. But the Torch seemed like they were finally getting somewhere.
    Everyone was expecting something that could compete with the hardware of the current Androids or the iphone (intentionally not capitalized). The Torch has a low grade screen, slower processor and the memory isn't the greatest, especially with as much as OS6 takes just to run. The corporate world is RIMS bread and butter, but now others are enterprise capable, can do remote wipes, and have a pin lock making them viable alternatives with much more functionality. I did love my Storm until I started looking at the other toys out there. Once I started looking at specs I realized this was a turd even when it was new. I'm not surprised Big Red sent the Storm 3 packing before it even arrived, it was another turd. I like RIM, but they need to get off their buts and innovate.

Now the Playbook on the other hand... WOW!!! That is a win!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads