Verizon Looks to End 3G Service - Go All 4G LTE By 2013?

This is a discussion on Verizon Looks to End 3G Service - Go All 4G LTE By 2013? within the Droid X News forums, part of the Droid X News & Polls category; Well, won't notice too much of a difference between 3G and 4G cuz I don't do TOO much (yet) on my Droid X. Still learning ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Verizon Looks to End 3G Service - Go All 4G LTE By 2013?

X Lurker
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, won't notice too much of a difference between 3G and 4G cuz I don't do TOO much (yet) on my Droid X. Still learning to use (and Play with) it. Just hope it doesn't cost much if such a move is made.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post

Letís hope they plan on investing in some battery technology as well then. Earlier today, Tony Melone, the man responsible for the roll out of Verizons LTE network held a Q&A with reporters in Texas at the TIA conference. A few important things were said by Verizonís CTO of Communications, the most important to us is that he is nudging at the end of 3G service altogether by the year 2013. Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment. Verizon has already told us that they want 4G across 2/3 of the US by 2013, so this makes sense. This also brings on the continued development of voLTE (voice over LTE). Back in February was the worlds first ever voLTE call and now we are nearing a time of nothing but.

Source: DroidLife

Guess I am missing something. In one sentence it says Verizon wants to end 3G service altogether in 2013, but a few sentences later it is stated only 2/3 of the country will have 4G by 2013. So, does this really make sense as noted? Is verizon willing to let hundreds of thousands of customers flying in the wind with no service?
    "The two loudest sounds you'll ever hear are 'click' when it should have been 'boom'
    and 'boom' when it should have been 'click'."

X Informant
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post
    Guess I am missing something. In one sentence it says Verizon wants to end 3G service altogether in 2013, but a few sentences later it is stated only 2/3 of the country will have 4G by 2013. So, does this really make sense as noted? Is verizon willing to let hundreds of thousands of customers flying in the wind with no service?
    You got that right Mister..in my home 3G is pretty lame and yet i can't imagine if they force close 3G, even I'm buying lte phone

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

X Informant
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RETG View Post
    You got that right Mister..in my home 3G is pretty lame and yet i can't imagine if they force close 3G, even I'm buying lte phone and i cannot use my internet properly it's gonna be hell for me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

X Operative
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just because droidlife says Tony Melone is "nudging" at ending 3g service, doesn't mean it's true or concrete. And the article says,
    "Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment."
    I don't know about you guys, but I don't see anywhere in there that says phones with 3G won't have service, it just says they won't make them anymore. They don't make CRT tvs but you can still watch tv on them.
    Droid X
    Born 12/16/2010

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hlaalu View Post
    Just because droidlife says Tony Melone is "nudging" at ending 3g service, doesn't mean it's true or concrete. And the article says,
    "Stating that all devices should have LTE capability by the end of 2012, and that in 2013 some devices might not even come with 3G radios depending on how the consumer market responds to the LTE deployment."
    I don't know about you guys, but I don't see anywhere in there that says phones with 3G won't have service, it just says they won't make them anymore. They don't make CRT tvs but you can still watch tv on them.
    This ^. Kind of like how your new wireless router still supports your ancient 802.11b laptop but is meant for 802.11n. Backwards compatibility will be around for a while after they no longer make 3G phones.
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

X Lurker
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    use common sense.....your 3g phones WILL NOT become obsolete.
    there are still people using cell phones 3-5 years old or older that 1x or less and not even using web access
    i doubt they can force you to upgrade otherwise they would have to give a free phone to comply and that's gonna cost V money.
    plenty of customers not into web access via cell phone

X Lurker
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't really have a prob w/ 3g.....beats the Treo that I used for years (which I really loved that phone...until I got my X)...anyway, that's a pretty big claim to do bc/ there are still so many places that are probably struggling just to acquire 3g still ( I would presume...like the hollars of KY...or the deserts of AZ & NM)

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 31.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    In the world of Does. I was raised by Droids
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvelazq51 View Post
    Well, won't notice too much of a difference between 3G and 4G cuz I don't do TOO much (yet) on my Droid X. Still learning to use (and Play with) it. Just hope it doesn't cost much if such a move is made.
    I am perfectly happy with 3G. I don't have any data in my area, since I moved to England (where I was raised) a few weeks ago, but I so miss my 3G. I pay for roaming so I can still stay on Verizon, so I don't have to switch from them and then back and lose my unlimited data, cuz I need my unlimited data. I hate relying on wifi. I wish the CDMA radio in my X could work in England so I can still use data.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    727 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXSkywalker View Post
    I am perfectly happy with 3G. I don't have any data in my area, since I moved to England (where I was raised) a few weeks ago, but I so miss my 3G. I pay for roaming so I can still stay on Verizon, so I don't have to switch from them and then back and lose my unlimited data, cuz I need my unlimited data. I hate relying on wifi. I wish the CDMA radio in my X could work in England so I can still use data.
    Deathstar's service or VzW's worldwide Droid Patrick your best bets.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    "I stopped reading dystopic novels a long time ago. If I want bleakness and despair, I can look at my checkbook." - Solomon Short

"Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing / Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master / Master
    " - Metallica

DX Forums "Guidelines of Conduct"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads