[guide] The Complete Beginners Guide for Installing a ROM (liberty 1.5)

This is a discussion on [guide] The Complete Beginners Guide for Installing a ROM (liberty 1.5) within the Droid X Member Submitted Guides forums, part of the Droid X RS Guides category; How to Root, and ROM a Droid X Putting this together for complete beginners wanting to put Liberty on their stock unrooted Droid X. I ...

Closed Thread

Thread: [guide] The Complete Beginners Guide for Installing a ROM (liberty 1.5)

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times

[guide] The Complete Beginners Guide for Installing a ROM (liberty 1.5)

How to Root, and ROM a Droid X

Putting this together for complete beginners wanting to put Liberty on their stock unrooted Droid X. I chose Liberty for this because it is the most user friendly ROM.

DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOUR BATTERY IS NEAR, OR FULLY CHARGED JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

THINGS NEEDED:
    -USB cable
    -Z4Root from: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    -Titanium Backup from Market: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    -Droid X Recovery Bootstrap from Market ($2): https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    -Liberty 1.5 ROM: http://bit.ly/igjFKz

- The first thing to do is download Z4 Root from the link above on your computer, Plug your phone into your computer, and make sure it is in USB Mass storage mode (swipe down from the top bar, select USB Connection, USB Mass Storage)

- Drag the apk file you downloaded for z4root to the Removable disk drive under My Computer on windows, once it is done copying, disconnect the phone from your computer.

- Go to Settings, select applications, and check "Unknown Sources" then go to Development and check USB Debugging, then exit out of settings using the back button.

- Go to Files in your apps menu, select Phone Files and find the z4root apk file in the list and select it, then select install.

- Once it is installed, select Open and then press the Permanent Root button, and wait for the process to complete and the phone to reboot.

- Once the phone reboots, bring up your apps list and look for superuser , if it's there, you're rooted!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this part can be skipped if you don't mind starting over from scratch once your ROM is installed

- Now we need to backup your data, Go to market, find and install Titanium Backup (free version will do)

- When it finishes installing, open it, and select Allow when prompted for superuser rights.

- Press the menu button (hard button on the far left) and select batch, then choose Run next to backup all user apps, deselect any apps in the list you do not need to backup in the list, then select Run the batch operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Next, go to market, and purchase Droid X Recovery Bootstrap ($2)

- Once it's installed, open it, select Bootstrap Recovery, Select allow when asked for superuser rights, you should then see a message saying Success!

- On your computer, download the Liberty 1.5 ROM file from the link above, then go through the same steps you did to copy z4root to your phone. (COPY THE WHOLE ZIP FILE, DO NOT EXTRACT IT)

- Next, go back into Droid X Bootstrapper, and select Reboot Recovey, Your phone will then reboot and bring up a recovery menu.

- Use the volume up/down keys to navigate the menu, camera button to select (full hard press) and Sleep / Power button to go back

-go to wipe data/factory reset, select it, go down to yes, and select it, wait for the process to complete

- Go to wipe cache partition and repeat the above step

- go to install zip from sdcard, then choose zip from sdcard

- find the file LibertyX-1.5.zip select it, and select yes, wait for the process to finish.

- Press the sleep / wake button to go back to the main menu, and select reboot system now.

-Wait for your phone to reboot (this reboot may take longer than usual, it won't always take this long)

- go through the initial setup, signing in to your google account, etc. (may take some time to sign in, especially if you are in a weak signal area)

----

-(optional) if you don't like the overabundance of yellow in Liberty, go to your app list and open Liberty Toolbox, select allow when prompted for superuser rights.

- go to Liberty Mods then Install Themes, scroll through the screenshots of various themes and select one you like, I personally would use "gingerbread" select it by pressing on the name under the screenshot. then select install. wait for the theme to download, the phone will then reboot.

----

- go to settings, wireless & networks, and turn on wi-fi

- Then go to market, press the menu button , and select My Apps, you should then see all of your apps being downloaded, let them all finish downloading and installing before proceeding

-Once everything is done downloading, go to titanium backup, if it's not there, install it from market. press the menu button, select batch, and select RUN next to Restore all apps with data, AND CHECK DATA ONLY, deselect any apps in the list you don't want to restore data for, then select Run the batch operation, and wait for the operation to complete.

- Finally, reboot. YOU ARE NOW DONE!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Supporting Member
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    I think the basics of this has been covered enough, no need to re-hash it IMO...

Where my time is spent away from the office!

Droid X Forums Guidelines of Conduct

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinrichmond View Post
    I think the basics of this has been covered enough, no need to re-hash it IMO...
    I wrote this up for someone not on the forums, and figured i'd share it here as well

Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Gotcha, thanks..

Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    gonna close this up pending review, thanks again..

Closed Thread

Ads