Froyo 2.2 breaks subjects in messages to @vtext.com, but only on Droid X?

This is a discussion on Froyo 2.2 breaks subjects in messages to @vtext.com, but only on Droid X? within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I have searched far and wide but cannot find any other reports of this problem. Before the 2.2 upgrade, emails sent to my number@vtext.com would ...

Thread: Froyo 2.2 breaks subjects in messages to @vtext.com, but only on Droid X?

X Lurker Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Froyo 2.2 breaks subjects in messages to @vtext.com, but only on Droid X?

I have searched far and wide but cannot find any other reports of this problem.

Before the 2.2 upgrade, emails sent to my number@vtext.com would show up with the subject line in parentheses and the body following it. For example, "(this is the subject) this is the body." However, after the upgrade to 2.2, the subject line is broken or missing. So the same message now shows up as " this is the body."

Here's where it gets really strange. I discovered that if the last character of the subject is a right parenthesis, the parenthesis shows up. So if the subject is "call me (now)" and the body is "this is the body" the message I see is " ) this is the body."

Further experimenting showed that any text following the first right parenthesis in the subject does show up (not including the parenthesis, strangely). So, a pseudo-workaround is to make sure that subject lines always start with a right parenthesis, e.g. " )this is the subject."

I think this only affects the Droid X. I checked with a coworker using 2.2 on the Droid 1 and the subject line looked fine to him.

I called Verizon tech support and the guy even replicated the issue on his own Droid X. However, he had no solution to the problem and suggested I report the bug to Google. But since the problem only affects the Droid X, I bet the problem is specifically on Verizon's side. Unfortunately, I was not able to convince the tech support guy of that...

I hope that others will see this post, verify the problem, and push for a fix!

-Al
    Last edited by rocklob; 10-01-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: quotes incorrectly replaced by html entities

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't have much to say on the issue you are having but I am wondering why you just don't use normal Email on your phone, I mean it certainly would be more convenient.

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    hes probably using it that way to bypass text charges. i tell everybody to text me at my email address to bypass the charges. works great. yes ive seen issue but no resolution.

I have the same issue, just talked to Verizon support, they claim this may be working as designed.
    I need the subject to appear with text messages. They call these things 'Smart Phones', better be smarter than this.
    I'm sure it was the 2.2 uodate on Droid X that broke it. Original Droid at 2.2 still gets the subject.

X Lurker Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was shocked and received a call back a day after from the tech at Verizon who fielded my call. I thought it was really cool that he would take the time to call me back even though my ticket was already closed.

Anyway, he called to tell me he found a replacement text messaging app where the subject lines do not get dropped. It's free and it's called Handcent SMS. I've been using it since the weekend and can say it's much nicer than the stock app for more reasons than just the subject lines. The weird thing about it is I see each @vtext.com message doubled in Handcent. I see one instance of it with no subject followed by a second instance WITH the subject line. The time stamps of each are also four hours apart leading me to believe it has something to do with the Froyo 2.2 SMS timing bug that Verizon IS aware of. In the meantime, I've just learned to ignore the messages with the missing subject.

Even if you don't have a problem with the subject lines, I highly recommend checking out Handcent SMS. It has lots of features that the stock app doesn't have including skins, customized colors, customized notifications for specific senders, pop-ups, a better looking widget, etc...

-Al

I too am having this same problem. I tried other SMS applications but the rest are garbage (IMHO) compared to the stock app.

Anybody aware of a way to get the stock SMS app from the original Droid ported to the Droid X. I had Froyo on my original Droid and this problem did not exist.

So is this a Google, Motorola or Verizon problem?

I am new to this forum. Had a Droid 1 for a year and never had this issue. Got my Droid X a month ago and noticed I only get partial SMS messages sometimes. Narrowed it down to the issue you described above (after wasted hours on the phone with both Verizon and Motorola tech support). I rely on receiving text messages for my work, and they often have NO subject line (this is intentional), they are sent via vtext.com, and occasionally they have parenthesis in the body of the SMS message (also intentionally and not an option to have those removed). That is where the issue occurs. I looked through the logcat and found the following (I dummied my email address):

01-06 14:13:49.127 1581 3894 V SmsReceiverService: SMS parsed by app, body=xxxxxxx@myemail.com This is a (test), subject=test, address=xxxxxxx@myemail.com

And the end result I see in my SMS app (both the stock SMS app and ChompSMS) is [test]. That's it! It removes the text before the first parentheses, converts the parentheses to square brackets and only displays from that point forward. Anyone have an update for this issue?

Remove Ads

Ads