What should I do (backup) prior to doing factory reset?

This is a discussion on What should I do (backup) prior to doing factory reset? within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I'm having problems with froyo, I'm hoping a factory reset will fix my problems... what should I do (backup) before doing this? I exported a ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What should I do (backup) prior to doing factory reset?

X Operative
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What should I do (backup) prior to doing factory reset?

I'm having problems with froyo, I'm hoping a factory reset will fix my problems...

what should I do (backup) before doing this? I exported a list of apps using aTrackDog

also, what is the best way to perform a factory reset? I don't want to do this if I'm going to run into the same problems.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd like to second this request. I'm having issues with my phone not ringing properly. I had custom tones for different activities on my phone and now my default ringtone is just some strange quick beeping and not what I had previously set. Text messages only vibrate now and do not make their sound at all. From all I've read about this issue, everyone says to do a factory reset. I think its pretty freakin' stupid that I have to format a phone to fix this. I don't want to spend the time reconfiguring everything. I have a love/hate with the Droid at the moment. Though customization is really nice sometimes...I just want a phone that simply works and doesn't come with headaches. I'm no Apple fanboy by any means, but iOS just does things right.

So...yea...what's the proper way to go about backing up / saving everything and performing a proper reset?

Regards,

Bryan

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You know what...nevermind that. I mean, it'd still be good to know proper steps and all, but I've resolved the issue. Some how, the phone had forgotten what tones I had set. I went into Settings > Sounds > Ringtone and it didn't have any of the radio buttons checked so I guess there's some system default it was trying to use. Same with my ChompSMS notification...went into those settings and none of the radio buttons were checked anymore. Strange that it lost that configuration, but at least I didn't have to format.

Technician X
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Bear in mind that when you do a re-set (I learned this the hard way) anything stored on your phone will vaporize. If you have apps that store data (like car maintenance, voice recordings, sticky notes, etc) they will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceMaker View Post
    I'm having problems with froyo, I'm hoping a factory reset will fix my problems...

what should I do (backup) before doing this? I exported a list of apps using aTrackDog

also, what is the best way to perform a factory reset? I don't want to do this if I'm going to run into the same problems.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times

X Operative
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So I backed up my SMS... took a snapshot of my apps, then reset. It's kind of nice that I'm starting from scratch in the sense I'm only installing apps as I need them. Less bloat.

Agent X
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I agree. I had so many useless apps that were just sitting in my drawer or sitting on my homescreen. If you can't remember to download it, you didn't use it, and don't need it on your phone.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads