HDMI Out Kills Display

This is a discussion on HDMI Out Kills Display within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Whenever I use the HDMI-out feature, either through the gallery or Real HDMI, the phone will not let me go back to using the regular ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gman

Thread: HDMI Out Kills Display

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

HDMI Out Kills Display

Whenever I use the HDMI-out feature, either through the gallery or Real HDMI, the phone will not let me go back to using the regular display afterwards. It seems like it just kills the display, as I was able to disable the HDMI-out on Real HDMI through the bump feature and then re-enable it through bumping it again. I was wondering if there is some setting I missed somewhere that enables it to go back, otherwise, I have to remove the battery in order to restart the phone.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Are you using it with real hdmi with the root settings enabled?

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No. I did not root my phone.

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Im rooted so im not sure how it works non rooted but did you get the new update?

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the update as well

X Conveyor
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Does it happen if you use the hdmi just to view photos and stuff without real hdmi?

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It happens whenever I try to disconnect it, even when just outputting through the phone's default app.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Livin_Lovin View Post
    Whenever I use the HDMI-out feature, either through the gallery or Real HDMI, the phone will not let me go back to using the regular display afterwards. It seems like it just kills the display, as I was able to disable the HDMI-out on Real HDMI through the bump feature and then re-enable it through bumping it again. I was wondering if there is some setting I missed somewhere that enables it to go back, otherwise, I have to remove the battery in order to restart the phone.
    Welcome to the "suck" that is known as 2.2 on the Droid X. Its a REALLY BIG BUG in the interface between the OMAP-DSS driver on the phone and the MAPPHONE-PANEL display driver. The code in the kernel that turns off the LCD display when HDMI is turned on doesn't always seem to be able to turn the display back on and bring it out of sleep mode. And once it fails to turn the lcd back on the driver is dead to the world. In an upcomming version of Real HDMI I am going to make my app force a full phone reboot when it happens so folks aren't literelly left in the dark. But when the gallery app does it you are kind of stuck doing a battery pull.

Its a kernel bug so the only people who can fix it is Motorola. And sooner or later everyone who is using 2.2 is going to have it happen to them using real hdmi or the gallery app. Have sent numerous emails into Motorola about it, offering to help them fix it as I have pretty much narrowed it down. But just get the same reponse from them of "Reboot your phone, reset to factory, etc..etc...etc)

I mention the HDMI output bug previous over in another one of my posts Droid X Froyo a problem of a buggy Linux Kernel? where I listed it as one of the many kernel bugs in the kernel in 2.2. You can read the full post I put over on the motorola forum about it here https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/38053

Feel free to head over to the official motorola forums to cuss at motorola about it and maybe to help get it a bit more attention.
    Flintlock likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads