Car stereo hookup question..bluetooth or 3.5mm?

This is a discussion on Car stereo hookup question..bluetooth or 3.5mm? within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I'm about to upgrade my car stereo to make using my Droid in the car the best it can be. I have the car travel ...

Thread: Car stereo hookup question..bluetooth or 3.5mm?

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Car stereo hookup question..bluetooth or 3.5mm?

I'm about to upgrade my car stereo to make using my Droid in the car the best it can be.

I have the car travel mount and just need to decided on 3.5mm jack connection or bluetooth for music playing.

I would like to be able to take calls over the car's speakers and use music from my droid on a music player. If somebod calls I'd like it pause the music and play the call over the speakers if I answer.

Can both these methods do that? I remember hearing some question about whether Android could do calls though the stereo on a 3.5mm jack.

Also, anybody have any preferences and care to share why? I'd even take recommendations on units the sub-$200 area. I understand some steroes come with all you need for bluetooth, and others need an extra device.

Thanks in advance for you information and opinions.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Blue tooth connections to smart phones will allow you to play your music through your cars speakers and the music will automatically cease if a call comes in...at that point, the cellular bluetooth connection takesd over and the call is routed through your speakers as well... When the call ends, you can resume music playback... My head unit uses two different bluetooth interfaces for music playback and cellular calls... However, they talk to each other and one knows what to do when the other is in use...

Agent X
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I have a bluetooth stereo and it as well has an aux input. If your looking for thee best sound quality then your gonna get that with the aux. Playing the bluetooth for me has a noticeable sound difference . However you may not notice this quite as much if you dont have an upgraded sound system. (I personally use the bluetooth connection because its much more convenient especially if someone in the back seat etc is the dj and while the sound is a bit lower quality it still sounds much better than a normal stereo if you have a full system)

Either way your music will stop if you receive a call but when that call is over you will manually have to press play again (atleast I do with pandora).

another difference is if you the phone connected via bluetooth when you are on the call it will use the stereos bluetooth mic, in my experience they have been so sooo. When using the aux input your voice will be picked up by the phones mic, I found this to be clearer to the person on the other end.

X Operative
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I am using the 3.5 mm jack. It works the same way stops and restarts the music. It may be app dependant though. I am using subsonic for music. Also the call will come over the speakers and the phone will pick up my voice. No feedback as far as I can tell.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i have a sirius / xm app on my phone and a built in bluetooth system from General Motors i have a 2010 GMC Terrain, which the phone works through the bluetooth is there a way to have the music from the app go through the speakers tha same as the phone without using the wire

Remove Ads

Ads