"Network Unavailable, Retry Later"

This is a discussion on "Network Unavailable, Retry Later" within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; So my phone started getting a "Network Unavailable, Retry Later" message yesterday and I'm unsure how to get it to work again. Basically it seems ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Network Unavailable, Retry Later"

X Informant
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

"Network Unavailable, Retry Later"

So my phone started getting a "Network Unavailable, Retry Later" message yesterday and I'm unsure how to get it to work again. Basically it seems like the 3g/data service got shut down and I have no clue how to turn it on again.

I have full bars but I no longer see "3G" at the top of the screen. Whenever I try to browse the web i get that message and whenever I try to go to the app store it say "A network error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen."

Any ideas on how to fix this? It seems to me like this is just due to me not knowing Android that well (My first droid phone). The only app that I have constantly running is the Task Manager, which maybe is the cause?

Update: 1. Rebooting fixes the problem. 2. I found the "Network" app on the phone that gives me details about whats going on. And with further searching found am "enable data connection" setting. I'll try it next time I run into this problem.
    Last edited by rusky; 07-17-2010 at 05:47 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

I have had the same issue since thursday. No service. Tried data reset etc and cant get it to work. Trying to get a replacement but umm... yea i guess they are sold out... Where is this "network" app?

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention, the first reboot fixed it and then it happened again....
    Last edited by mrunleaded; 07-17-2010 at 06:40 PM.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok so i figured out what the issue is. If you are running a task manager app of any kind or have edited your phones power profiles, it will turn data off when the phone is not being used. This sometimes causes the phone to not turn data back on when it is actually being used.

Fix:
    1. Don't use power profiles (will cause battery to drain faster, I didn't opt for this route).

2. Use the "Network" built-in app to turn on data when it doesn't do it by itself.

Steps: Go to home screen. Press the app button on the bottom center of the screen (looks like a triangle with a circle around it), this will bring you to the screen with all of the apps installed. Look for an app called "Network", it will have an icon that has 5 bars on it. Open up the app and press the Menu key. Press "More +" and you will see an option asking to Enable data service. Press that and you are good to go again!

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Solution: STOP USING TASK KILLERS/MANAGERS.

They are terrible for your phone. Uninstall them. Now.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JFMFT View Post
    Solution: STOP USING TASK KILLERS/MANAGERS.

They are terrible for your phone. Uninstall them. Now.
    May I ask why? It's definitely improved my battery life significantly.

X Operative
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rusky View Post
    It's explained very well here, especially first post on page 3.

PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    System Panel Lite, get that instead, YOu can see catched apps and actual running apps separately, and you can see CPU usage per app and axe the app thats using CPU.
    Droid Does

I am not affiliated with Techtv or The Screen Savers

X Operative Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok so i figured out what the issue is. If you are running a task manager app of any kind or have edited your phones power profiles, it will turn data off when the phone is not being used. This sometimes causes the phone to not turn data back on when it is actually being used.

Fix:
    1. Don't use power profiles (will cause battery to drain faster, I didn't opt for this route).

2. Use the "Network" built-in app to turn on data when it doesn't do it by itself.

Steps: Go to home screen. Press the app button on the bottom center of the screen (looks like a triangle with a circle around it), this will bring you to the screen with all of the apps installed. Look for an app called "Network", it will have an icon that has 5 bars on it. Open up the app and press the Menu key. Press "More +" and you will see an option asking to Enable data service. Press that and you are good to go again!
    I don't have a 'network' app on my phone did this come pre-installed or you got it through the market?

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ditto on not seeing a built-in Network app. Just got my Droid X yesterday and all was working fine. This morning, no data connection at all. If someone can tell me how to enable if it has been shut off somehow, I would be very appreciative!

X Operative Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sometimes I just turn the phone off and on again and it fixes the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads