switching ROMs?

This is a discussion on switching ROMs? within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hello all, am wanting to switch from Vortex RC-1 to VXL. with the help from the good people of this forum I was able to ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: switching ROMs?

X Informant
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 5.4%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

switching ROMs?

Hello all,

am wanting to switch from Vortex RC-1 to VXL.

with the help from the good people of this forum I was able to root and ROM my DX, have been using Vortex RC-1 for awhile and it is great, just a couple of issues with Google Play and date/time settings. I was looking at switching to VXR but the linked rootzwiki page seems to only have the latest version, VXL. I have downloaded the VXL zip file to my phone and checked the MD5.

Just want to check here on the right way to do this without screwing it up. I backed up my apps and data with My backup root, is that good enough or should I make a nandroid? I have kind of forgotten how to do that.

I still have droid2 bootstrap on my phone but IIRC I was supposed to delete that and only use ROM manager from now on, right? ROM manager has an option to make a backup. I haven't used any of these programs in many months and am kinda rusty.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    I would make a nandroid. Don't use ROM manager, use the power menu and select reboot recovery. Once it reboots, That's where you'll make your nandroid. Then you can do your wipes and flash the new ROM.

from the gnex
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

X Informant
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thankyou, I did what you advised and it worked perfectly. I am now running VXL and its got some nice improvements over RC-1. After the new ROM was working I restored my apps and data with mybackup root. Somehow I thought my screen shortcuts and folders would be restored, but it doesn,t seem like it. The apps are there but I will have to recreate the shortcuts manually.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Last edited by fofopuka; 09-23-2013 at 12:22 AM.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Another thing, I just swapped the battery to charge in an external charger, it reset the date to 6/27/2011 just like it did when I had RC-1, I was hoping the new ROM would fix that.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Member #
    Liked
    287 times
    maybe try Smart Time Sync

edit:
    or ClockSync

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fofopuka View Post
    Thankyou, I did what you advised and it worked perfectly. I am now running VXL and its got some nice improvements over RC-1. After the new ROM was working I restored my apps and data with mybackup root. Somehow I thought my screen shortcuts and folders would be restored, but it doesn,t seem like it. The apps are there but I will have to recreate the shortcuts manually.

It doesn't help you now, but might in the future. If you are using a 3rd party launcher (holo, go launcher, etc.) they usually have an option that allows you to back up/restore the settings. I don't think the stock launcher does for those which means you are doing it manually. Glad you got it all working though. Vortex in it's many iterations was one of my favorite roms for the DX. I think I have RC1 on there right now, but it's a wifi only device.
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, I have holo launcher and it does allow backup of shortcuts. I tried ClockSync but somehow I couldn,t get to make the correction, Smart Time Sync worked perfectly it synced my clock as soon as I connected to the internet.

I love this phone now it is slick I am using on wifi only.
    Last edited by fofopuka; 09-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    OK I checked out the camera, the controls are quite nice, but as far as I can see there is no White Balance control. Does anyone know of a ROM which has a really good camera including white balance?

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    I honestly wouldn't know. I never really liked the DX camera, it was my only real gripe. I just used whatever stock settings. That said there are a blue million camera apps in the play store you might try.
    sd_shadow likes this.
    Check out my themes:

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    OK, thanks. I will check out some of the camera apps.

Another issue has surfaced, when I tried to install Google + it would not install, said I need to install Google Play Services; when I tried to do that it popped an error message saying it was incompatible with other applications using the same shared user ID; an internet search showed many people having the same issue, I have copied and pasted a description of the problem and suggested solution (which I do not understand): (see below)

I have also noticed that once in awhile gApps crashes / force closes, could that be part of the same issue?

-----------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by o2demonangel
    I have problem to install the google play services which this is not included inside the ROM, when downloading from google play store, it appears as picture below.

i have tired backup my friend's google play services apk and sent it thru Bluetooth to my phone and try to install it but fail as well.

is it i got other ways to install it?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

That issue is up to ROM cooker.
    They signed ALL apks even Gapps. I

You have to sign every update(download apk saperately, not in market) if you just followed as ROM cooker as provides.

read this to uninstall those and reinstall/flash from correct ones. And get flashable gapps from goo.im or somewhere else. you can avoid this after flashing new rom by flashing correct gapps

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1884530

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app
    Last edited by fofopuka; 09-27-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads