How to Backup and actually Restore Again

This is a discussion on How to Backup and actually Restore Again within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Originally Posted by CosmicSunset those tips really helped streamline the process but I still can't make a backup and then restore it due to the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Backup and actually Restore Again

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 77.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicSunset View Post
    those tips really helped streamline the process but I still can't make a backup and then restore it due to the md5 checksum error. Your post seemed to indicate that I shouldn't be "working around" those errors by clearing the md5 file but I'm not aware of any other solutions and haven't been able to find a good explanation of what causes that mismatch. I'm not renaming my backups or even touching them between the backup and restore attempts.

I tried restoring the backup I made yesterday which has it's .md5 cleared and it gave the same "Error while restoring /system!" message. I'm pretty sure restoring an older backup would lock me at boot logo again.

just reloaded the thread and saw your last two posts. I'm using the exact ROM you referred to but have CWMR 5, maybe because I installed the modified X bootstrapper to get from stock ROM to CM 7. Not sure if it matters.
    with cm7 either 2.5 or 5.0 cwm should work fine
    some roms have cwm included, seems Pooka's does not,
    whatever version was installed before Pooka's should still be there
    just use reboot option to recovery, to get to cwm

you could try just restoring system or user data, but I think the backups are not saving correctly.
    install rom that nandroid was made on
    cwm>backup and restore>advanced restore>choose nandroid>restore data

My SD card is backed up so the only issue with formatting is copying everything back on (9 or 10 GB). What disk format does the Droid use anyway? I'm just wondering if it's possible and if there would be a speed advantage to formatting and reloading the SD card in a card reader directly on my computer rather than using the phone. It seems like reading/writing to the phone via USB is slow for some reason, at least when writing the SBF.

thanks man
    Yes use FAT32
    I'm sure the sd card transfers will be faster, but transferring 10gb will take a little time, a hour or so if using usb 2.0, longer if only 1.0
    some sd card optimizing can be done, read Increase the read/write speed of the SD card on your rooted Android

other things that can be done
    check md5 of rom, bootstrap, and gaaps
    try a different sd card
    try a different rom like MIUI DefX by Wizard0f0s

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I just formatted a spare SD card to FAT (no version specified by Disk Utility on the Mac I used so it could be 16 but it seems to be working) and replaced the one in my phone with that and repeated the whole process and it's working!!! I can now make a backup, reboot and mess things up, then restore the backup and everything's fixed.

The original SD card has been running in this phone for 2.5 years so I guess it acquired some minor corruption somewhere along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
    you could try just restoring system or user data, but I think the backups are not saving correctly.
    install rom that nandroid was made on
    cwm>backup and restore>advanced restore>choose nandroid>restore data

Yes use FAT32
    I'm sure the sd card transfers will be faster, but transferring 10gb will take a little time, a hour or so if using usb 2.0, longer if only 1.0
    some sd card optimizing can be done, read Increase the read/write speed of the SD card on your rooted Android

other things that can be done
    check md5 of rom, bootstrap, and gaaps
    try a different sd card
    try a different rom like MIUI DefX by Wizard0f0s
    I didn't try any of this yet but will keep the info for future reference (thanks!). As for the SD card read_ahead size, I'm a little hesitant to mess with that given that I don't have any information regarding how closely the SD Booster app's speed test matches actual usage profiles and it doesn't make sense to optimize the setting for that speed test and then have real-world usage be different. What's your take on that?

For now I'll just put my SD cards right in the card reader on my computer when I need to transfer large amounts of data. No idea what the equivalent settings to "read_ahead" would be on a mac but figure it doesn't matter.

Definitely going to play with MIUI. Looks like it might be a pretty sweet ROM.

Thanks!!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 77.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Member #
    Liked
    284 times
    yes after I posted, realized that pooka's cm7 does not overwrite cwm,
    so whichever version you have before, you will still have after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads