Help!

This is a discussion on Help! within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; If you don't want to root ever and your contract is going to end within few months then go for the 621. Just know that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help!

X Operative
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    If you don't want to root ever and your contract is going to end within few months then go for the 621. Just know that this is a one way path. No going back.
    And know that there is nothing wrong choosing to go stock and no rooting. At least you get to watch Google movies.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Last edited by jaguarxt; 04-19-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
    Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
    Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)

Device: Motorola DROID X
    Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
    Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Advocate X Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LDLloyd1 View Post
    OK so I am a total newb to all this... I am wanting to go back to completely stock, unrooted gingerbread (.605 update that comes automatically) after SBFing to froyo .340. I just activated my DX and the update is downloading now. Can I just take the OTA update to BG .605 and then go along from there, choosing to root or not? I've tried the whole "rooted .340 to to GB .602/.605 without SBFing" thing, but could never get it to work. Thus, I skipped all the signing in stuff and am hoping that I will be given the option to add my accounts and such after the update, assuming it will even work.

I've just continually failed to flash to MiUi from froyo because of all the dead links and stuff in the posts out there (due to only being able to find legit MiUi SBFs for GB, but not being able to get back to GB to flash to GB MiUi versions that are rampantly available). I am getting to the point where I would rather deal with the GB bugs and be back to where I was a few days ago in legit mode, instead of trying and stuggling, eventually continually failing, to get back to where I was to try again with GB. I realized AFTER SBFing to froyo that all the posts on flashing MiUi and such were from like a year and a half ago, and have been uncomfortably stuck with froyo. Again, I want to remain stock, unrooted, up to the point of getting to GB .605, and go from there, if possible.

I will more than likely need very detailed step-by-step instructions, if it's not too much to ask. Please help if you can, and thanks to the googolplexth power in advance!
    You need to READ MORE about the procedures for using ROM changes and Flashing

Its Bubba
    It's Going Along for the Ride...

"Stubborn In You're Bones"

X Lurker
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My contract is up in october, but I don't know if I'll get a new phone right away. I'll probably wait until around this time next year for my tax return.

I also am on the fence about rooting and using a rom. I've heard lots of good things about miui on GB and unless I get annoyed with .605's force close on the keypad when going to wide mode (pisses me off nearly to the point of throwing my phone into my patio's brick wall, literally bricking it), or any other features that annoyed me before initially rooting, I will probably go with wizard's miui. Weekly updates with it tells me that there's a lot of support from very dedicated devs.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The persuader View Post
    You need to READ MORE about the procedures for using ROM changes and Flashing

Its Bubba
    No, there needs to be more updating of posts and information out there from current times. I read a TON about it, but most of the threads were talking about having to sbf to froyo, which as of late is obviously not the case. However, the google searches are grossly bloated with that crap from Q3 and Q4 last year or before. Now, miui on GB is as simple as rooting, wiping, and flashing the miui zips, isn't it? That's what the HD guide I've seen made it out to be. However, finding it in writing led me only to froyo sbf, the 2 step gb .596 to .602, and other crap outdated methods. Clearly it's easier to sbf to froyo, remain stock, unrooted, ota to .605, then use the one click DROID 3 root tool, but there's no such instruction out there because of all the tagging on the old posts. This has been a 3 day process and a waste of time trying to find the pertinent information... like finding a needle in a haystack.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.3%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    384 times
    I haven't followed this thread but what ate you on and what do you want to get to? In short? A lot of the info (on this forum) may be old, but is still relevant ...bit can be a pain to search for new members

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.6%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    452 times
    ^^What he said^^
    There may be what you see as "outdated info" but to the members and guests who need it, it's not outdated. We also have info for the newer stuff, and as new things happen, we build new sub-forums. As ICS ROMs have become popular, we've added ICS sub-forums, so if you're looking for info, look at the sub-forum headings, I agree, the forum search does do a bad job of searching, but the search link in my sig uses a custom Google search, if you're good with google searches, give that a try. Also, at the top of every sub-forum page are stickied threads,. these will contain both the most relevant or newest info.
    Finally, we make it extremely easy for you, just start a thread with your specific question, good chance someone will help you out.

For your initial questions, take the OTA to 605, since that's what you're in the process of doing. For the future, there is a 605 SBF available.
    For rooting, start here
    GB.602! ROOT! Start here! Links to all
    For GB ROMs, start here
    Gingerbread Roms

Advocate X Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    My contract is up in october, but I don't know if I'll get a new phone right away. I'll probably wait until around this time next year for my tax return.

I also am on the fence about rooting and using a rom. I've heard lots of good things about miui on GB and unless I get annoyed with .605's force close on the keypad when going to wide mode (pisses me off nearly to the point of throwing my phone into my patio's brick wall, literally bricking it), or any other features that annoyed me before initially rooting, I will probably go with wizard's miui. Weekly updates with it tells me that there's a lot of support from very dedicated devs.

Rooting your phone is easier then you think... Its Awesome really, goto the Forum logo you'll see choices look for Rooting... Read the procedures to Root if you get into the Weeds their are many members to help you out...

You'll wished you did it sooner Oh.. Miui & Gummy are Amazing

Its Bubba
    It's Going Along for the Ride...

"Stubborn In You're Bones"

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I agree that the instructions need to be updated. But problem is that each of us have our own way of rooting. I am one of them that still root one of older ways. I sbf to Froyo, root with zroot, then flash directly to TeamBlackHat's 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (4.5.1_57_DX5-35). That becomes my base to rom anything else. I find that this method to be more clean than the newer one root styles.

Still if you look around for a bit you will find than newer one click roots.

Now to throw another monkey wrench in the mix. Voodoo OTA RootKeeper allows to backup root. This in theory can be used in skipping the root process, including sbf to Froyo. The downside is that you have to go through the full root process the first time around. Then use Voodoo OTA RootKeeper to backup root. That way if you loose root you can go back to root with just one click.

Last edited by jaguarxt; 04-19-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Summary of Devices

X Operative
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Then make your choice now.

If I were you I would go through the pain of rooting. That should take you through the last year of use. I would stay with Gingerbread roms at this point. If ICS roms get all of the functionality working fully then I would look at ICS roms.

But please stay away from 621. Please

Summary of Devices

Themer
    Theme Developer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 12.8%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    ^^What he said^^
    There may be what you see as "outdated info" but to the members and guests who need it, it's not outdated. We also have info for the newer stuff, and as new things happen, we build new sub-forums. As ICS ROMs have become popular, we've added ICS sub-forums, so if you're looking for info, look at the sub-forum headings, I agree, the forum search does do a bad job of searching, but the search link in my sig uses a custom Google search, if you're good with google searches, give that a try. Also, at the top of every sub-forum page are stickied threads,. these will contain both the most relevant or newest info.
    Finally, we make it extremely easy for you, just start a thread with your specific question, good chance someone will help you out.

For your initial questions, take the OTA to 605, since that's what you're in the process of doing. For the future, there is a 605 SBF available.
    For rooting, start here
    GB.602! ROOT! Start here! Links to all
    For GB ROMs, start here
    Gingerbread Roms
    also, .602 and .605 are pretty much interchangeable. If you see something that applies to .602 and you are .605 it will work for you.
    Check out my themes:

Simple Sideways - MIUI lockscreen - Simple Sideways Dark - Touch of Green - Vortex RC1 - Christmas theme (in case you miss it) - Vortex RC1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads