Bluetooth File-sharing

This is a discussion on Bluetooth File-sharing within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I've been unable to share files from my phone with my computer using Bluetooth. When I try, it fails with the error message "This transfer ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bluetooth File-sharing

X Lurker
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 1.1%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bluetooth File-sharing

I've been unable to share files from my phone with my computer using Bluetooth. When I try, it fails with the error message "This transfer is forbidden by the target device." I was able to send a picture from my laptop to my phone over Bluetooth, but when I try sending that same picture from my phone to my computer I get that error. On the Droid, my laptop is listed under Bluetooth devices as "Paired but not connected." I haven't been able to get it to connect, and I'm not sure why. I've also tried doing this while the phone is discoverable, but it doesn't make much difference. On the computer, I've made sure it was discoverable and that I selected "Receive files" under "Bluetooth File Transfer" before I tried sending from my phone. I know that Bluetooth is on and working because I was able to use it to send the picture, just not receive it. I also use a Bluetooth mouse without a problem. Here's the relevant specs from both devices: Droid X - OS v 2.3.3 (most up to date) Computer - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Any ideas on what could be causing this, or anything else to try? Thanks!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darkh View Post
    I've been unable to share files from my phone with my computer using Bluetooth. When I try, it fails with the error message "This transfer is forbidden by the target device." I was able to send a picture from my laptop to my phone over Bluetooth, but when I try sending that same picture from my phone to my computer I get that error. On the Droid, my laptop is listed under Bluetooth devices as "Paired but not connected." I haven't been able to get it to connect, and I'm not sure why. I've also tried doing this while the phone is discoverable, but it doesn't make much difference. On the computer, I've made sure it was discoverable and that I selected "Receive files" under "Bluetooth File Transfer" before I tried sending from my phone. I know that Bluetooth is on and working because I was able to use it to send the picture, just not receive it. I also use a Bluetooth mouse without a problem. Here's the relevant specs from both devices: Droid X - OS v 2.3.3 (most up to date) Computer - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Any ideas on what could be causing this, or anything else to try? Thanks!
    You need to install Bluetooth File Transfer program from the market to enable file transfer from your phone. Once installed, open it and find the pic you want to send, long press and choose "send via bluetooth" and it will take you to the list of bluetooth devices you can use. Long press on your computer and click connect. It should send. You also have to right click on the bt icon in your pc tray and choose "receive file".

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply. I tried downloading the app and using it to connect to my computer, and here is the error I got:
    You can't connect with target device because it lacks of the "File Transfer Profile" (OBEX FTP) and/or the "Object Push Profile" (OBEX OPP) Bluetooth services. Make sure that the target device is in discoverable mode and enabled to receive files!
    Again, the computer is discoverable and ready to receive files, and I have successfully sent files from my computer to the phone. The only problem is sending from my phone to my computer.

Based on the error, it might be something with the computer itself, but I'd still appreciate any ideas you might have.

X Operative
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darkh View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I tried downloading the app and using it to connect to my computer, and here is the error I got:

Again, the computer is discoverable and ready to receive files, and I have successfully sent files from my computer to the phone. The only problem is sending from my phone to my computer.

Based on the error, it might be something with the computer itself, but I'd still appreciate any ideas you might have.
    I get that error if I just click on my computer from the BTFS program after I have chosen the file I want to send. When I long press on my computer and click "connect", it sends is right through as long as I have told my computer bt to receive a file.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I realized that I had a second computer with Bluetooth, so I tried connecting my phone to that one. This computer worked fine in both directions without any special drivers or apps. That led me to think that it was a problem with my (first) computer, so I spent a long time with Dell trying to figure it out. We basically ended up uninstalling and reinstalling everything related to Bluetooth on my computer at least twice, and reinstalling, and that seemed to fix it (at least for now). Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads