GPS not working, need opinions/dianostic ideas

This is a discussion on GPS not working, need opinions/dianostic ideas within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I received a replacement (refurbished) X last week, and on Saturday I planned on using Navigation to find this one place. GPS locked on fine, ...

Thread: GPS not working, need opinions/dianostic ideas

X Informant
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

GPS not working, need opinions/diagnostic ideas

I received a replacement (refurbished) X last week, and on Saturday I planned on using Navigation to find this one place. GPS locked on fine, but about ten minutes into the trip it lost it and didn't pick it back up. I believe at that point I had already flashed CM7.

I figured it was a temporary thing, but it hasn't been able to find any satellites since then. The indicator just flashes endlessly.

-Was on CM4DX-GB, GPS stopped working, tried rebooting, battery pull, flashing a fix, turning the different services on and off.
    -SBF'd to Froyo .340, no luck, tried the same stuff.
    -OTA'd to .605, ditto. Even left it in navigation searching for GPS overnight.

Looks pretty broke' to me. Any other suggestions before I request another replacement? :|
    Last edited by Stuckinabox; 10-21-2011 at 03:11 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

I had a similar problem. I found that if I took the battery cover off it now works. Even just unlatching the cover without taking it off entirely allowed it to work. I found this trick onthe a Verizon forum. I called Verizon and they replaced the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Informant
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckinabox View Post
    I received a replacement (refurbished) X last week, and on Saturday I planned on using Navigation to find this one place. GPS locked on fine, but about ten minutes into the trip it lost it and didn't pick it back up. I believe at that point I had already flashed CM7.

I figured it was a temporary thing, but it hasn't been able to find any satellites since then. The indicator just flashes endlessly.

-Was on CM4DX-GB, GPS stopped working, tried rebooting, battery pull, flashing a fix, turning the different services on and off.
    -SBF'd to Froyo .340, no luck, tried the same stuff.
    -OTA'd to .605, ditto. Even left it in navigation searching for GPS overnight.

Looks pretty broke' to me. Any other suggestions before I request another replacement? :|
    Go to settings, location and security, make sure the box for use wireless networks is unchecked. I found that if this is checked I always have issues. If that doesn't work I am out of suggestions.

Sent from my DroidX running (insert new Rom) using Droid X Forums

X Informant
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjohnson74 View Post
    I had a similar problem. I found that if I took the battery cover off it now works. Even just unlatching the cover without taking it off entirely allowed it to work. I found this trick onthe a Verizon forum. I called Verizon and they replaced the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Yeah, I heard that, no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by realtormicah View Post
    Go to settings, location and security, make sure the box for use wireless networks is unchecked. I found that if this is checked I always have issues. If that doesn't work I am out of suggestions.

Sent from my DroidX running (insert new Rom) using Droid X Forums
    That option doesn't seem to be available in .605.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What do you want to bet your "refurbished" DX was returned by a user who couldn't get GPS to work continuously?

As far as I'm concerned, your responsibility for solving this was met as soon as you flashed the factory ROM onto the phone. After that it's a Motorizon issue. Call them about sending it back.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I did the exact same thing when the ear speaker stopped working on my original phone. If I SBF and factory reset and it's still not working, it sure as hell isn't my fault.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, this is weird. I finally call verizon, he asks me to switch ALL location services on and it starts working...um.

So I flashed CM7 thinking it was working, but suddenly it craps out again. I get one or two satellites, then about an hour later there's SEVEN suddenly. It's in and out...could that be hardware?
    Last edited by Stuckinabox; 10-25-2011 at 10:58 PM.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    How long did you run it on Motorizon before switching to CM7? If you're sure it's not intermittent on the Motorola software, then the problem's likely CM7.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I ran on stock software for almost two weeks, and I had tried the various locations setting combinations. The first time it worked was when I was on the phone with the guy. I flashed CM7 and it didn't work, then it worked very well a few times over the course of a few days. Right now it's back to not picking up any satellites.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, for awhile I thought I was just erroneously trying to use it indoors, but there's clearly something wrong with the phone. I can go outside and hold it and have it not pick up anything usually, but when I hold the phone a certain way or squeeze the case near the volume button, it starts to pick up. With the old phone I could switch gps on, set it on my dash and go.

Remove Ads

Ads