Have 2.3.3 (4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.US) rooted, Phone buts me to OTA to 4.5.6.en.US

This is a discussion on Have 2.3.3 (4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.US) rooted, Phone buts me to OTA to 4.5.6.en.US within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Oh man, I got a problem and need help, FAST! I have a Motorola Droid X from Verizon, was at Froyo 2.3.2 and was rooted. ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have 2.3.3 (4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.US) rooted, Phone buts me to OTA to 4.5.6.en.US

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Have 2.3.3 (4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.US) rooted, Phone buts me to OTA to 4.5.6.en.US

Oh man, I got a problem and need help, FAST! I have a Motorola Droid X from Verizon, was at Froyo 2.3.2 and was rooted. Phone alerted me to update so I did and got Gingerbread 2.3.3 and my root was totally gone! su and superuser apps still there but non-functional. I tried everything to get root back, nothing works, and I do not know how to ROM or do any of that other stuff you guys talk about and from what I read, I would have to wipe my phone back to factory and this would suck. I noticed that I had a couple of under the glass horizontal black streaks, no doubt about it, LCD was going bad. So, I used my warranty, paid the C-note deductible and got a replacement virgin Gingerbread Droid X. No better time then now to get this over with.

I begged for help. Thankfully, 1KDS showed me the Linux script, I *love* Linux and always have a running Linux server (Currently Fedora 15 server with compiz, gnome, apache, and the whole shebang.) so I begged for the link. Heck, I never thought to USB my phone to a Linux box. For what purpose? Would it be recognized? Hell yeah, it was like it was made to hook to Linux machines, it logged in immediately as a user and showed right up in lsusb! The script 1KDS sent me to worked like child's play, after all I went through, and I had my root back. Fortunately I run Titanium and batch restored my entire Apps & Data, about 185 of them in like 15 minutes!

Now my phone is bugging me with that dammed chime to update to 4.5.6.en.US and I was told to *never* use an OTA update again or my root would be lost forever. So what do I do? The phone won't shut up, it is constantly binging and boingig to let me update it and of course I won't. How can I update to the new 4.5.6.en.US and not lose my root?

I have a USB cord for the phone, a Windows 7 kick-ass AMD quad core, and an Intel P4 Fedora 15 Linux machine. What can/do I do now? I will be checking this thread like evey 30 minutes, I know you guys can really come to the rescue when summoned and one day, I will do my part of coming to the rescue on immediate notice when I am experienced enough. 1KDS, anyone, please, how can I update my Verizon Droid X without ruining it, losing root, and saving all my sh*t?

Please, please, please, somebody help quick, the dammed phone just binged and boinged again pestering me to update and this is driving me nuts!

Answer here, PM me for email address, anything, somebody please help before I pull out all of my hair or am forced to shut off the only business phone that I have to make that dammed update notice shut the ef up!

Thank you.
    Last edited by 1KDS; 09-26-2011 at 06:04 PM.
    ~Ohmster
    Verizon Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, WiFi

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Now worries, you can take the update then use the Droid 3 one-click to get root back.

Also, watch the language I edited the swear word out of your post.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1KDS View Post
    Now worries, you can take the update then use the Droid 3 one-click to get root back.

Also, watch the language I edited the swear word out of your post.
    KD!!!! Oh you sooooooooooo rock, man.

...really? But I took the vowel out of the swear words and replaced them with asterisks. I thought that would be permissible because I was, well, freaking out, but if you want to keep the overall tone of the board to "family value" level, I will do that from now on.

I got the link opened in another tab in Firefox but I have to bring my mom some dinner first. Is this another Linux script? Same thing? Actually allow the OTA update and then apply the Droid 3 fix after that? What happens to the working root that is on it already, does it just become dysfunctional again until I apply the exploit? USB to Linux PC, shell script again?

Gotta go, will come back right here for the answer, thanks buddy.
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmster View Post
    ...really? But I took the vowel out of the swear words and replaced them with asterisks. I thought that would be permissible because I was, well, freaking out, but if you want to keep the overall tone of the board to "family value" level, I will do that from now on.
    Yes, please

I got the link opened in another tab in Firefox but I have to bring my mom some dinner first. Is this another Linux script? Same thing? Actually allow the OTA update and then apply the Droid 3 fix after that? What happens to the working root that is on it already, does it just become dysfunctional again until I apply the exploit? USB to Linux PC, shell script again?
    Yep, let the OTA install (you will lose root) then use the script again, (IIRC you've used it before) and boom... working su.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, please

Yep, let the OTA install (you will lose root) then use the script again, (IIRC you've used it before) and boom... working su.
    Family values, coming right up! You know, even comedians are really NOT funny when they swear. Look at Bill Cosby, made a great career for himself, family man, still has his money, and did it all without a single swear word. Now take Eddie Murphy. Famous, yeah, but he swore a lot, and that in itself, is not funny. It has a "shock value" that can easily work against you as it could for you and even if it does work for you, it is very short lived. 'nuff said.

You steered me dead on target with the Linux script before so right after dinner, I am going at it. Might as well let the OTA go through while eating. Takes a while because it is not a small update. This is a build update right? 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 was a kernel upgrade. This mentions no kernel so it must be a build update. Might have fixed some bugs, maybe some new features, don't know yet. Anything you noticed new about it?

I will let you know how it went when I get done. Thnx again.
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Family values, coming right up! You know, even comedians are really NOT funny when they swear. Look at Bill Cosby, made a great career for himself, family man, still has his money, and did it all without a single swear word. Now take Eddie Murphy. Famous, yeah, but he swore a lot, and that in itself, is not funny. It has a "shock value" that can easily work against you as it could for you and even if it does work for you, it is very short lived. 'nuff said.
    Yep, Jeff Foxworthy is another clean, highly successful comic.

You steered me dead on target with the Linux script before so right after dinner, I am going at it. Might as well let the OTA go through while eating. Takes a while because it is not a small update. This is a build update right? 2.3.2 to 2.3.3 was a kernel upgrade. This mentions no kernel so it must be a build update. Might have fixed some bugs, maybe some new features, don't know yet. Anything you noticed new about it?

I will let you know how it went when I get done. Thnx again.
    Yeah, it's mostly bug fixes. Good luck!

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    HEY! This is a Windows app!

adb.exe
    AdbWinApi.dll
    AdbWinUsbApi.dll
    busybox
    Click to root your DROID 3.bat
    D3_easy_root_v7.zip
    lst.txt
    su
    Superuser.apk

Are you sure this is cool and will work, dude? Last time I tried a Windows 1 Click, it did not work at all. Are you sure the one you used wasn't a Linux script that might actually work? Oh please have good news, I already did the OTA update!
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    There is a Window$ version and a OSX/Linux version.
    Linux version here

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There is a Window$ version and a OSX/Linux version.
    Linux version here
    Ahhh! Man u freaked me out fer a second. After all the letdowns I had with the Windows roots failing, all I wanted was a good Linux script. But you never gave me a bum steer before, and unless you just inadvertently gave me the wrong link, whatever you give me should work. So, I ran the Windows 1 click and it was exactly the same as the Linux one I used before. Worked just the same, perfect results, all systems go. So I got no complaints.

Where is your tip jar?

Thnx again.

...1KD, u ever use the AdFree host file ad remover? I just installed it and am still observing to see if it works or not. It should, I got like over 2500 127.0.0.0 entries in my hosts file now, as to how effective it is, time will tell. Do ads bother you, both browsing and apps? If so, how do you get rid of them?
    Thnx.
    Last edited by ohmster; 09-26-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added 1 question
    ~Ohmster

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    Ads drive me nuts, adfree does an excellent job I think, I download and install new hosts often then reboot to clear the DNS cache.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads