su on gingerbread, want ads gone. Is ad removal via host file possible?

This is a discussion on su on gingerbread, want ads gone. Is ad removal via host file possible? within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I have been killing myself trying to root my Droid X after updating OTA to 2.3.3. Finally, 1KDS gave me the linux script that made ...

Thread: su on gingerbread, want ads gone. Is ad removal via host file possible?

X Informant
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb su on gingerbread, want ads gone. Is ad removal via host file possible?

I have been killing myself trying to root my Droid X after updating OTA to 2.3.3. Finally, 1KDS gave me the linux script that made child's play of the whole affair. Amazing.

So Titanium backup can work properly and I can "root around" everywhere in my phone. I recently entered the etc directory and found the hosts file. As root I even tried to use the vi editor on the file, it actually worked! I was in vi but the file was opened as "read only", even as root. I assume the permissions on the file are set at read only, but since the Linux coreutils are so primitive on this phone, I cannot even view the file permissions, i.e.: cannot do "ls -la". Only ls will show file listing. The only thing in my /etc/hosts file is:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

Can I modify or replace my hosts file with one that blocks all the crappy ads that come with all of the free market apps? Like if you run Pandora, you get these ads popping up on screen that you must x out to make go away but they come back all the time. Even Angry Birds does the same thing and the crummy ads are blocking part of the game so it is difficult to play.

I do not think that these ads come from too many different sources (But I could be wrong), they must be paid for and then distributed by a few ad servers online. If these ad servers could be blocked in the hosts file, i.e.:
    127.0.0.1 ads.android1.com

Then the games and apps would remain ad free! I tried searching the board and did not find anything on this, can someone point me in the right direction please?

Bonus questions:
    1. How do you view file and directory permissions in a term window?
    2. Is chmod, chgrp, and chown safe to use on these files?
    3. Is vi a good method of altering config files on the phone or is there a better way such as USB to PC, either Linux or Windows, and then run a file manager that can access the phone to work with such files?

Dudes, I know this is a lot to ask in one post, but my main objective is to rid the phone of these annoying ads. My secondary objective and love of Linux drives me to learn as much as possible about this very stripped down version of Linux that runs on these phones. The system seems almost too primitive to work on via terminal. There must be a better and safe way to do this.

Thanks for reading, more thanks for decent answers.

~Ohmster

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    adfree android, free on the market

bonus answers, get es file explorer (free) from the market, can do all that terminal stuff in an explorer gui

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyDude View Post
    +1... works great for me... on all the roms i've ran
    Post Script:
    We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\
    Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

bonus answers, get es file explorer (free) from the market, can do all that terminal stuff in an explorer gui
    Excellent, just installed adfree and rebooted to clear cache. Still have ads in Angry Birds. What apps have you noticed are ad free now?

Been using ES File Explorer since it first came out but never knew you could edit files with it, thanks for the info!

~Ohmster

Update: Pandora is not showing ads. But sometimes it takes a while for them to show up. Will keep you posted.
    Last edited by ohmster; 09-23-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Additional info to add

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    460 times
    I just loaded angry birds, I have no ads showing, I'm not sure why it's not working for ya
    With ES, make sure you go into settings, scroll to the bottom and enable root access, then enable r/w for full access, then long-pressing any file brings up a menu, select properties to change permissions

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just loaded angry birds, I have no ads showing, I'm not sure why it's not working for ya
    With ES, make sure you go into settings, scroll to the bottom and enable root access, then enable r/w for full access, then long-pressing any file brings up a menu, select properties to change permissions
    Man, I learn something every day. I did go into ES Explorer and had root enabled, but I did not want to mount as writable in case that was a bad idea. I checked the mount \ as rw and can now write to files. Found the permissions and can easily change file perms now. hosts is -rw-r--r-- and that should be fine. There are now 23,609 entries in my hosts file after installing AdFree as suggested. I restarted the phone. Funny thing, I swear I pushed power until options appeared, and then chose power off. But the phone did not power off, it went down to red M logo on black and immediately gave me the droid eye, mounted my card, and was open for business again. Maybe the cache really did not clear. Perhaps if I pull the battery and then restart, we can see if ads go bye bye in Angry Birds. Not that AB is so important, I just want something to show this works.

Apparently ES File Explorer is a very powerful tool with su access and I am still learning it. I use it mostly to transfer files wireless from/to pc without data cable. I works great on wireless. It is supposed to work with dropbox too, although I am not sure how to do that with ES. I can view a photo in gallery and send to dropbox, then grab it on my Win7 pc. dropbox even shows up in my explorer favorites as a local folder. Man, dropbox is pretty cool, but I wish I knew how to use it with ES. No big deal, the ad blocking is the issue now.

Anybody tried droid explorer with datacable? It seems to be a really cool pc to phone pc program and shows the whole phone filesystem. Gives many options but is not complete yet, guy is at version .8 I think. Here is is if you want to tell me if you've used it, is it good, should I trust it, or what is your gut feel on this program?

I am going to connect with datacable and see if it does anything noteworthy (Supposed to be able to install ROMS but I am not up to that yet.
    Droid Explorer - 0.8.8.2 [04/26/2011] - Pizza Party - xda-developers

Let me pull battery, recheck angry birds, and get back to you. Thanks.
    ~Ohmster

Remove Ads

Ads