Troubleshooting WiFi connection to router

This is a discussion on Troubleshooting WiFi connection to router within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I've seen many people asking for help with this problem in many different forums, and I think it might be appropriate to start a new ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Troubleshooting WiFi connection to router

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 14.9%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Troubleshooting WiFi connection to router

I've seen many people asking for help with this problem in many different forums, and I think it might be appropriate to start a new thread for this, rather than to derail another thread started for a different topic. Hopefully this title is specific enough to help folks find this thread for this particular issue.

This thread has NOTHING to do with tethering to share your mobile broadband connection with other devices. This is only about getting your phone to connect to your wireless router at home (cable, DSL, or satellite) instead of using your 3G connection.

Reasons to use your home WiFi rather than 3G:
    • Faster speed
    • Better signal
    • Doesn't use your data plan
    • Uses less battery
    First, we want to determine if the problem is with your phone or your router:
    • Can your phone connect to other WiFi hotspots, such as at a library, hotel, or coffee shop?
      • If you can't connect anywhere to anything, you may have a bad phone. Try SBFing. If it still doesn't work, take it to Verizon.
    • Can other wireless devices connect to your home network, such as laptops or other peoples' phones?
      • If nothing can connect, then you certainly have a problem with your router. It may be bad, but more likely just needs to be reconfigured.
      • Even if some other things can connect, reconfiguring the router may correct the problem.
    For testing purposes, let's first make it as easy as possible for your phone to connect to your router.
    • Turn off all security (passwords/encryption)
    • Create a new SSID that hasn't been used before, such as test1234
    • Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled
    Once you can connect here, then you can start increasing security if desired. I recommend using a different SSID (network name) each time you change the settings, just to make sure your phone (or other device) isn't still trying to connect with the old settings.

Once you're where you want to be:
    • Have the phone forget all the other networks
    • Reconfigure the router with the network name you want to use
      • I don't recommend using the default names "Netgear", "Linksys", etc., because if your neighbor buys the same brand router and also uses the default name, they will conflict.
    • Reconnect the phone and enjoy!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Advocate X Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    66 times
    Crazy Work Week for me...Thanks for all the Info...Just Scanning this information and all the other Info...I cant believe it will be nothing but Successfull..

Thanks 3club...Your a Smart Sucker with Technology Aren't Cha...Ya Little Devil......Thanks Buddy

Its Bubba

I will try some misc things tomorrow...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3club View Post
    I've seen many people asking for help with this problem in many different forums, and I think it might be appropriate to start a new thread for this, rather than to derail another thread started for a different topic. Hopefully this title is specific enough to help folks find this thread for this particular issue.

This thread has NOTHING to do with tethering to share your mobile broadband connection with other devices. This is only about getting your phone to connect to your wireless router at home (cable, DSL, or satellite) instead of using your 3G connection.

Reasons to use your home WiFi rather than 3G:
    • Faster speed
    • Better signal
    • Doesn't use your data plan
    • Uses less battery
    First, we want to determine if the problem is with your phone or your router:
    • Can your phone connect to other WiFi hotspots, such as at a library, hotel, or coffee shop?
      • If you can't connect anywhere to anything, you may have a bad phone. Try SBFing. If it still doesn't work, take it to Verizon.
    • Can other wireless devices connect to your home network, such as laptops or other peoples' phones?
      • If nothing can connect, then you certainly have a problem with your router. It may be bad, but more likely just needs to be reconfigured.
      • Even if some other things can connect, reconfiguring the router may correct the problem.
    For testing purposes, let's first make it as easy as possible for your phone to connect to your router.
    • Turn off all security (passwords/encryption)
    • Create a new SSID that hasn't been used before, such as test1234
    • Make sure SSID broadcast is enabled
    Once you can connect here, then you can start increasing security if desired. I recommend using a different SSID (network name) each time you change the settings, just to make sure your phone (or other device) isn't still trying to connect with the old settings.

Once you're where you want to be:
    • Have the phone forget all the other networks
    • Reconfigure the router with the network name you want to use
      • I don't recommend using the default names "Netgear", "Linksys", etc., because if your neighbor buys the same brand router and also uses the default name, they will conflict.
    • Reconnect the phone and enjoy!
    It's Going Along for the Ride...

"Stubborn In You're Bones"

Agent X
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 1.2%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Cool I will give this a try.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Sent from Mopar-x

+ Reply to Thread

Ads