Black Spot on Screen

This is a discussion on Black Spot on Screen within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; A couple of months ago I noticed a fine horizontal line on my screen. Then there were several more, all parallel, in the same 1/4" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Spot on Screen

X Lurker
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Black Spot on Screen

A couple of months ago I noticed a fine horizontal line on my screen.

Then there were several more, all parallel, in the same 1/4" area that approximated a circle.

Now they have filled in so there is a black circle 1/4" diameter, centered 7/16" from the left of the screen edge and 15/16" up from the bottom. (For those using the screen lock app, it's almost directly over the bottom left dot)

I have a screen protector that would show any trama to the screen and nothing appears to have struck it. (Bet I have a hard time convincing the store of THAT.)

I also have the spot that ripples when pressing the screen that has been mentioned elsewhere, but this is separate and a little to the left of that one.

Any history of THIS kind of thing out there. I'd like to show that I'm not the only one. Any suggestions? I can attach pic if needed.

Jay

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    you got me man, my screen is fine, sorry about your luck...

Ready.... Set.... GO!

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    555 times
    If your phone is under a year old, get it replaced. All I got, sorry.
    "FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance,

a pleasant place to spend time in."

X Lurker
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had this happen twice, once three days after release day, and fixed it with a factory re-set. Then about two months ago, running Liberty v0.4. A reload of the ROM did not fix it at first, I had to.sbf it back to a verizion ROM, after wiping/formating all the data partitions (except my SD card thankfully). Then the line dissapeared. Never had it grow into a digital tumor like yours tho- just a single line, horizontal across the screen, about 2/3rds of the way up. But both times it was in the same spot (as close as I could tell).
    But I'de replace it under waranty, like the other guy said, I am now dealing with the lower 1/4 of my screen being black with white verticle lines that no amount of mucking with the software/hardware is fixing. So good luck, whatever you do.

P.S.- mine is over a year old, and VZ is still waranty replaceing mine. I told them how it happened: while watching a 4X3 aspect show on netflix, the area on the right (landscape) started with the white lines, then when I closed netflix, the area stayed black. Then I mentioned that it was the first time I'de opened netflix since their OTA update to 4.5.602.
    Last edited by Pacidermiz; 09-07-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added post script to give additional advice

X Lurker
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had to register just to post my own frustration with the same issue. I, however, have three large spots and two more forming on my screen. When I called Verizon about three weeks they accused me of dropping my phone and told me this wasn't a "known issue".

To be honest, I watched Netflix the night before, placed the phone face down on a desk, and the following morning woke up to several horizontal lines that took up about 1/4 of the screen. The lines morphed and finally settled into the three large dots between 3/8" to 1/4" in diameter each. The other two forming dots appear they will be smaller.

What is weird is that the dots have a yellow 'halo' around them when the background of the screen is white, but when it is blue the halo turns white. I want my phone replaced, but Verizon tells me to either stick with the phone or purchase a new one. This one isn't even two years old.

X Informant
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mygeek911 View Post
    I had to register just to post my own frustration with the same issue. I, however, have three large spots and two more forming on my screen. When I called Verizon about three weeks they accused me of dropping my phone and told me this wasn't a "known issue".

To be honest, I watched Netflix the night before, placed the phone face down on a desk, and the following morning woke up to several horizontal lines that took up about 1/4 of the screen. The lines morphed and finally settled into the three large dots between 3/8" to 1/4" in diameter each. The other two forming dots appear they will be smaller.

What is weird is that the dots have a yellow 'halo' around them when the background of the screen is white, but when it is blue the halo turns white. I want my phone replaced, but Verizon tells me to either stick with the phone or purchase a new one. This one isn't even two years old.
    Ever have any luck with VZW replacing it? Same issue here. And I didn't drop it and don't recall anything that could have caused it.

X Operative
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hummm

I dont yet know much about these phones but I want to say its a hardware issue? Do you guys notice the issue on startup? or only once it fully boots up?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

-Arthur C. Clarke.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    @JDW
    I was hoping to take the phone to a Verizon store while we were out of town, because anybody looking at the phone would realize it isn't a 'dropped-phone' issue. I haven't tried calling back with Verizon. Long story to your question is no.

@GunJam
    It is definitely hardware related. You cannot see the spots when the phone is off, but as soon as you turn it (even before it boots) you can see them from the backlight.

X Operative
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    sounds like it could possibly be fixed with a new screen. They run about 40 bucks. If you can deal with the small parts and not get dust and finger prints all over the screen or break the connector clamps or sockets its a really easy fix.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

-Arthur C. Clarke.

X Informant Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i have a vertical line looks like a scratch i have to peel the protective cover back to check it.should i take it to a Verizon store? i dont know if its covered or not phone is maybe 6 months old.and how do i save all my apps and stuff on this stock phone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads