First time rooting

This is a discussion on First time rooting within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hello everyone... I could use some advice. I've had my X for over a year now and have finally decided I want to root. I ...

Thread: First time rooting

X Informant
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question First time rooting

Hello everyone... I could use some advice. I've had my X for over a year now and have finally decided I want to root. I did a quick search, read up on Z4 and saw debian dogs youtube video about rooting with Z4. It seems fairly straightforward and relatively easy...but after reading a few threads I have a couple of questions. First I haven't upgraded to GB yet (its dl'd, just not installed)....Should I? Besides Z4, titanium n bootstrap what do I need to download? And do I need them first? Do I just write down my downloaded apps then reinstall from market after root? How well does Flash Player 10.3 work on a rooted phone? I don't own a computer (latop crashed, havent replaced yet) but am not tech illiterate... Just new to flashing a phone :-p Detailed instructions would be nice...Sorry if this is repetative just want to be clear on what I'm doing and have some instructions to fall back on . Thanks for all your help!!P.S. Some good rom/theme suggestions and pics would be most welcomed as well :-D

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Alright... Just rooting... If you are in froyo... Which is 2.2... Z4 works good... And you need bootstrap to make a full recovery if your phone... Flash custom roms and what not... And it doesn't have to be tibu... Just a back up program that will back up apps and data... I use my back up pro... So after you flash a new rom you can load all your stuff back on

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer
    Post Script:
    We have nothing to fear but runnig out of beer/*****|*****\
    Nemo Aeternamn Wallpapers

Sbf: Linux - Rsd Common Terminolgy Root: Ginger Tether X2:Q&A+LINKS Stolen from Goose306: Info On 621

X Informant
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello there. You are definitely on the right track w z4. Do a fresh reboot and then z4 root it. This will allow root for awesomeness like d2 bootstrap and titanium backup. Back up everything you want to keep (apps and data) w tibu. I would suggest a fresh sbf if you decide to start flashing roms. Droidmodd3rx had a stand alone sbf exe linked on his website at one time. If the stand alone sbf exe doesnt help, use a friends PC to help w rsd lite for a sbf. Droidmodd3rx has video tutorials if you get stuck. His really helped me.
    Once rooted, d2 bootstrap gives you access to be able to flash roms and zips. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my liquid 2.6 DROIDX using Droid X Forums on the new 13 radio. Lol... ask me later BC it will be different!

Agent X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
    Hello everyone... I could use some advice. I've had my X for over a year now and have finally decided I want to root. I did a quick search, read up on Z4 and saw debian dogs youtube video about rooting with Z4. It seems fairly straightforward and relatively easy...but after reading a few threads I have a couple of questions. First I haven't upgraded to GB yet (its dl'd, just not installed)....Should I? Besides Z4, titanium n bootstrap what do I need to download? And do I need them first? Do I just write down my downloaded apps then reinstall from market after root? How well does Flash Player 10.3 work on a rooted phone? I don't own a computer (latop crashed, havent replaced yet) but am not tech illiterate... Just new to flashing a phone :-p Detailed instructions would be nice...Sorry if this is repetative just want to be clear on what I'm doing and have some instructions to fall back on . Thanks for all your help!!P.S. Some good rom/theme suggestions and pics would be most welcomed as well :-D
    If you want root, you are lucky you did not upgrade to gingerbread because it is unrootable and you would have to get back to froyo to root. The rooting part is act quite easy. But if you want to try roms you should have access to a computer. Almost any problems that come up from flashing roms can be corrected with SBF, but that requires a computer, so I would recommend caution with roms until you have computer access.

As to rooting, z4root will root froyo in most cases. Download the file. Make sure you have USB debugging on. Put your phone in airplane mode, reboot, open z4root and press permanent root(you can still unroot, it just means it will persist when you reboot). It will root, reboot and you will be done. To check it out, look in the app drawer and you should see the superuser app. Then from market you should download droid 2 bootstrap, titanium or my backup pro, and root checker. Use root checker to confirm your root and that busy box was installed (needed for many root apps) You should make a complete back up of your system using bootstrap, and of all your apps using titanium or backup.

Then go ahead and try out some root apps; screen shot apps, you can try overclocking to speed your system up, or undervolting to get better battery life, you can use titanium to freeze any of the bloat apps so they don't appear in your system or use up resources.

Read up on roms and sbf so once you have access to a computer you can be ready to move onto romming.

Here are some useful links :http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...tml#post121738

http://http ://www.droidxforums.com/...-x.html#189945

All-In-One POST ROOT Thread

SBFboot - the easy way to sbf

A very easy guide to Rooting, backup, and ROM flashing for the DX....

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

X Informant
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I had heard gingerbread destroyed the ability to root.. Part of the reason I never installed it. It was pushed to my phone and I had been disallowing the download but inadvertently clicked the wrong button a few weeks ago. Lol so since then I've been disallowing the install! Getting old fast.... Anyway, I think I have a clearer picture of rooting now. So you don't have to flash roms or themes to have the root, correct? I was unsure if that was something I had to do to root. Nice to know its not. And the root actualy doesn't change any apps or their data, just allows for superuser control? So my phone would basically still appear and function as it always has....until I change it Another question tho... Would it be better to do a factory reset to delete the gingerbread files already downloaded? I know I'd have no backup data to backup with titanium n bootstrap n would have to DL all my apps again then back up. Annoying yet tolerable to keep from carrying any glitches over. The reason I ask is because my phones been rather slow lately...both bad lag n freezes. Usually I just wait it out impatiently n it comes back. I've only ever had to do 3 battery pulls. It just feels slow n clunky now. Its been on android 2.2.1 ver. 2.3.340 since I got it a year ago. Updated right away from 2.1 before doing anything Thank you all for your advice and instructions I'm meticulous when it comes to instructions and once tore the top half of my engine off to do a repair with only advice from a forum. I really appreciate your help. I will read up on roms before attempting that but I'm sure I can get thru rooting and backing up. I also plan on doing a full system file back up after rooting so I have my own recovery files ( debian dog vid showed that too).
    Last edited by Praetorian; 08-20-2011 at 06:18 PM.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Bump

Moving this up. Any suggestions on the questions on my last post? Still haven't rooted because of the uninstalled gingerbread update. Thanks!!

Remove Ads

Ads