Can't install USB Driver for Windows XP

This is a discussion on Can't install USB Driver for Windows XP within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Can't install USB Driver for Windows XP - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum In Eclipse 3.5 when I go to ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't install USB Driver for Windows XP

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Can't install USB Driver for Windows XP

Can't install USB Driver for Windows XP - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

In Eclipse 3.5 when I go to Android Device Chooser and I click the radio button Choose a running Android device nothing appears in the following rows.

First you should know I have seen almost every forum out there and the steps just do not work and I do not know why.

I just get a Droid X and can not install the USB Drivers. I verified that in the USB_Driver directory in my Android_SDK_Windows folder that I have the correct various files and folders that match the ADBDriver_v3_Google.zip files and folders. When I follow the instructions from the Android Developers document for USB Drivers for Windows it doesn't work. The steps are:
    Windows XP: Perform a fresh installation

To install the Android USB driver on Windows XP for the first time:
    1. Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port. Windows will detect the device and launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
    2. Select "Install from a list or specific location" and click "Next."
    3. Select "Search for the best driver in these locations"; un-check "Search removable media"; and check "Include this location in the search."
    4. Click "Browse..." and locate the folder where you copied the installation package.
    5. Click "Next" to install the driver
    The steps work until step 4. From the folder USB_Driver when I click OK the driver is not found. If I click the folders below that i386 and AMD64 the OK grays out.

Is there something I am doing wrong? How can I load this driver using a CMD line? Everything else seems to be working OK. I am using SDK 2.1 and Eclipse 3.5. Until I figure this out I can not connect my Droid X to test my application. I can only use the emulator. I am a newbie.

Also, I can see in the Android SDK and AVD Manager that the Usb Driver package, revision 3 is installed. But when I type ADB Devices in a command prompt, I get "List of devices attached" with nothing following. Obviously something is not right.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve D.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Here is the ideal location for installing the ADB USB Driver on Windows: Install ADB, USB Drivers For Android [Step-by-Step Guide]

Follow the directions EXACTLY and it should work for you.

-Jack

Follow this usb driver guide if you have difficulties installing one. It provides tips and instructions of what you need to ensure first, prior to installation. Be sure you've got the correct product and serial number or identification numbers to match the download. In addition,you must have selected the right one for your OS (Windows XP in your case) or it will definitely not work.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads