Bluetooth Advice Urgently Needed

This is a discussion on Bluetooth Advice Urgently Needed within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I am a total Newb, and am not at all technologically inclined. I have a Droid X. I'm looking for a hands-free device, and am ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bluetooth Advice Urgently Needed

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bluetooth Advice Urgently Needed

I am a total Newb, and am not at all technologically inclined.

I have a Droid X.

I'm looking for a hands-free device, and am also in the market for a new car charger. (ability to listen to radio/Pandora through my car speaker is a bonus, but not necessary). I'm not a big fan of ear-pieces or a lot of cords running all over the place.

Does anyone have experience with the T505 or Jabra Cruiser2 or H17txt?

I like the fact that the Jabra cruiser2 tells you the name of the caller, but it seems like it's more complicated to operate than the T505. Are these models hard to work?

Can you charge your phone with them too, or do you need a separate cord for the BT and for the Droid?

Do you have to remove the units to charge them, or can you charge them in the car?

Any pros/cons of different models would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DroidXGirl1; 06-28-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added additional information

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Jawbone Icon is the best I've used and I have had 4 or 5 different headsets. It streams music using a2dp. It gets 4 hours of talk time and its small enough that it stays in my ear without using a loop. It charges with the same connector that your phone uses - micro usb. Jawbone makes a newer model that is slightly longer and heavier. Its heavier because the battery is a little larger and I believe it gets 5 hours of talk time.

X Operative
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmnatr View Post
    Jawbone Icon is the best I've used and I have had 4 or 5 different headsets. It streams music using a2dp. It gets 4 hours of talk time and its small enough that it stays in my ear without using a loop. It charges with the same connector that your phone uses - micro usb. Jawbone makes a newer model that is slightly longer and heavier. Its heavier because the battery is a little larger and I believe it gets 5 hours of talk time.
    The larger model also has an accelerometer! Sweet! Haha. Anyways, I have been using the Icon since it's initial release and only had 1 problem. Wind resistance while walking. It's wind protection is far superior to it's original model but I believe it still needs work for windy areas; especially if you walk outside while you talk on the phone. Great Bluetooth device!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Nokia handheld -> LG flip phone -> Storm -> Droid X

ROOTED and lovin' it
    running Android
    4.0.4 - currently using Gummy 1.2.0 - 5/9/12 [BETA]

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.5%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    572 times
    Moving thread to Droid X Help forum.

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Any advice for a non-earpiece hands-free model?

Technician X
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I have my DX mounted to a window mount when I drive. I frequently listen to audiobooks and have the phone plugged into my auxillary jack in the car stereo. I am able to talk using only the phone (hearing voice over the radio). Callers tell me my voice is clear and understandable (and I drive a pickup so you can imagine the background noise).

I also use an app called Vlingo which allows me to use voice commands to call, etc.

I have not used a blue tooth device since I got this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXGirl1 View Post
    Any advice for a non-earpiece hands-free model?

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

X Lurker Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OP I use the t505. I have left it in the car on massively hot days, in the dead of winter, I am a smoker and it sits right above my head...basically I put the thing through hell. It is a GREAT piece. There are three things that will drive you nuts, however, but if you can get by the annoyance you'll love it. 1. When searching for a clear station for the fm transmitter to broadcast on...you can only hit the auto scan button (i.e. no manual control over the freq). However, the auto scan doesnt "listen" for an open channel it just chooses one (often with terrible results). A little bit of patience will see this problem through. 2. When driving with the FM transmitter off (which it will do if u dont talk on it for a while) and a call comes in, you cant just reactivate the fm transmitter and start talking. you must answer the phone, ask the person to hold on, hit the button and wait for the british lady voice to finish saying the frequency twice, THEN you can talk. Thats the only one that makes me insane lol. 3. and the only other small bit of annoyance is there is a few second delay between when the phone does something and when the system can speak to you. This is only annoying when using the turn-by-turn nav on the phone. Some of the shorter direction commands get lost.

Dont get me wrong about all that, it IS a great piece! Im sure all models have some small annoyances like that! Good luck.

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting the Jabra Cruiser2, because I don't like ear pieces, and the feature I liked on the Jabra that the T505 doesn't have is that it theoretically links up to your contacts and will announce the name of the caller, rather than just the telephone number. I called someone today, and the voice activated commands worked well, and the call was clear as a bell, and I was told that this was the best audio they've had with me using my Droid X, even though I was driving at the time. The noise cancellation feature appears to work well.

I haven't gotten a chance to link it to my radio yet, or try Pandora, but I'll post about that once I've tried. Hopefully it will be as easy as it was to link and set up the Jabra Cruiser2.

This was my very first bluetooth, and it was so easy, that even I had no trouble doing it.

I also liked that I was able to charge it using my laptop. It charged very quickly (about an hour). We'll see how much talk time it takes to use up that charge.

Thanks again, all!

X Lurker Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    To update you on my experience with Jabra Cruiser2...

It was a snap to set up. Just charged it, put my Droid X on bluetooth mode, turned on the Cruiser2, and that was pretty much it.

Problems: 1) It doesn't announce the names of callers, just the telephone numbers. As that was a feature I interested in, when I spoke to CS, they said that because my contacts contain info like photos, emails, addresses, there is a glitch. They are working on it, and hope to have a patch. However, if a contact only has a phone number and name, it will announce by name rather than number (theoretically).

2) I wanted to listen to Pandora through my radio. Again, easy to set up. Turn on Cruiser2. Press FM button. it tells you what station to set your radio on, and hey presto! It comes through. However, I was getting static. CS said that if I press FM and hear the announced frequency, I can then press Volume+ or Volume- to change the announced connection frequency, to find a clearer station.

So, I'm all hands-free and legal these days, which is a good thing, and don't have to fuss with an ear piece.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads