Cell Standby Draining Battery - Anyone else?

This is a discussion on Cell Standby Draining Battery - Anyone else? within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; As you'll see from the image, the "cell standby" drained my battery by 20% within about 3 hours. This is with wi-fi & background data ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cell Standby Draining Battery - Anyone else?

Cell Standby Draining Battery - Anyone else?

As you'll see from the image, the "cell standby" drained my battery by 20% within about 3 hours. This is with wi-fi & background data turned off. Is this what is expected from the Droid X?

It's already a shame that I can't have the regular functions of the phone running without greatly draining battery, but I'm lost on how to keep the battery from being drained without cutting myself off from the world (turning off phone, or putting it in airplane mode). What's the phone of owning a phone if it can't accept calls and messages? I already have to have my screen on the dimmest setting, wi-fi off, backround data off, and data timeout on 15 minutes.

This is my first Droid phone; does the Incredible have this issue? Maybe I'll downgrade...

Thanks for any suggestions or help you guys can offer!

-Mike

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience PointsYour first Group7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I think you may have an issue with your phone as usually the Display takes up more usage. Go to Verizon and let them check it out as this is rather new.

Like my post? Press Like!

X Informant
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Are you in a good coverage area. If cellular coverage is marginal it will drain your battery faster.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Retirement, Its a tough job but someone has to do it

Quote Originally Posted by kb4ob View Post
    Are you in a good coverage area. If cellular coverage is marginal it will drain your battery faster.

Downtown LA

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You may be working from an out dated roaming area list (silly, but it has helped some people). Typically the phone keeps going from 1g/2g/3g signal loops and boosting power to compensate for perceived weaker signal areas when it does not need to.

To fix this, dial *228 and then wait for the options list and choose option 2 to update your list. You will be told of a success and then do a power off/on, and see if that helps you like it has some others.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    If you're really concerned with battery life, the Incredible will most definitely NOT be the answer.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FMMFL View Post
    If you're really concerned with battery life, the Incredible will most definitely NOT be the answer.
    +1

The incredible gave me worse battery life than the DX.

-- Rooted Droid X --

- Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz
    - EVGA Classified 760
    - 2 x EVGA GTX 480s in SLI
    - 6GB G.Skill 2GHz CAS 8 RAM
    - Thermaltake 1200W PSU
    - BD-RW Drive

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Having the exact same issue. Little to no use and phone is completely dead within 12 hours. My prior Droid would last days with the same configurations and apps.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It sounds like you may have something being downloaded/uploaded in the background. Lots of Droid owners were seeing this issue when one of the OTA updates kept downloading over and over, subsequently killing their batteries.

As for what could be doing this, I have no idea. However, you should look into the settings of any app that does background syncing. For example, you can go into settings, then to data manager, social applications, and enable syncing over WiFi exclusively.
    Lightninrod likes this.
    Rooted Droid X (Just for WiFi tether, hehe)

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry 2 Droid battery test

I have the same battery drain issue with my Droid X.

We have 2 new Droid X's in our house -my battery seemed to be draining faster than the other one so I did a test over the last few nights.

1st I compared settings on both phones -they were set exactly the same.

My phone has 3 downloaded apps and the other one (that retains battery life longer) has about 10 downloaded apps. There weren't any downloaded apps running in either phone when I put them down to be tested.

the test: just before bed I've charged both droids to 100% and left them with the screen off -side by side on the kitchen counter. In the morning 8-9 hours later mine is waaay down in the red -the battery drained about 90% overnight. The other Droid has been down only about 10-20%.

I'm taking it to Verizon right after work today and having them check it out. There is definately a problem with mine holding a charge.

UPDATE: I took the phone to a Verizon store after work today -they did a "half hour call test"and my battery died 20 miutes into the call. They gave me a new battery under the warranty -I charged it up and so far so good.
    Last edited by Exit14; 08-31-2010 at 08:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads