Erratic screen display and button functions

This is a discussion on Erratic screen display and button functions within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hello everyone, I am happy to say that I have a new Droid X. Well it is supposed to be new but it came with ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Erratic screen display and button functions

X Informant Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Erratic screen display and button functions

Hello everyone,
    I am happy to say that I have a new Droid X. Well it is supposed to be new but it came with pre installed fingerprints and a fully carged battery so I have some doubts. But anyway, my new phone is in my hand and I am trying to get used to the new UI. I have been just screwing around with the screens and menu's just to kind of get a feel for it. I have not yet activated my phone. I havn't activated it yet because it seems to be acting funny right out of the box.

Out of the box: It came in a Fed-ex box, but no shipping material, it was just a small box rattling around in a large box. The droid box didn't look new and no seals were present. The droid phone was clean but there were several finger prints on the phone and the screen protector looked like it had been removed and then put back on. The battery was fully charged too.

2011_06150006.jpg

Day 1: I inserted the battery and immediately found the camcorder and I took a quick vid, all seemed pretty good. I turned it off and plugged in the charger and let it charge overnight.

Day 2: Today I turned on the phone and started checking out the features. Soon the screen stopped responding to my touch, or would respond slow. When I was on the dialer screen it would select numbers automatically when the phone was tilted or slightly shakken. I thought that it was my "electric" personality so I just set it on my couch for a minute. While just sitting there with the dialer screen up, I heard it select a number "8" and entered it on the number bar. I pulled the batt (verizon recomendation) and it worked, for about 2 mins. Then it was back to the same erratic funtions. I called back and I held the phone up to my phone and the operator could hear my droid beeping as it selected numbers. (they recommeded going to a verizon store) The camera also acted the same erratic way. I took a couple quick pictures and it seemed to be having trouble deciding what to do. It was acting very slow to respond to my screen commands. When handling the images, it suddenly started going through several functions and wnded up deleting several of the pictures on it's own. On many screens when I select a button it doesn't do anything or it is SUPER slow at selecting it. This is an intermittent isses as sometimes it seems fine .

I am not a super techno person but I know how to get things done on a pc. It was my experience that when I first got my laptop, it took several months for it to really settle in (Vista, I know). It was like the OS was learning during that time (I know that updates and such were a big part of that).

Does the droid OS need time to settle in too?

Sometimes it seems ok and other times it seems wacked. As you know I have just a little time if there is a problem with this phone if Verizon is going to be able to help me and so I am feeling a little anxious.

Has anyone else experienced any of the same issues?

This is my phone info:

System Version: Version.2.3.340.MB810.VERIZON.EN.US

Android Version: 2.2.1

Verizon said that there was an update available and would be installed when I activated the phone.
    I am just a tad hesitant to get the update, I plan on rooting, at least I want that option available and I had read here somewhere (here) that some updates make that more difficult or not an option anymore. Please understand that I have read alot and have little (no) experience with this phone so I'm taking things real slow to start.

Thanks
    Nobody asked me, and now it is too late.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

31 days registered250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I don't really need a fix, if you have Droid experience and you have never seen anything like this before, just saying so will be of help.

I might have gotten a bad phone from Verizon and I just want to try to work things out before sending it back.

Thanks

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 12.8%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    No, I haven't seen anything quite like that...very strange. I've seen it do something similar when the screen gets wet or oily, but it's more continuous and not just when you shake it. But don't worry about running out of time...if that persists and nothing fixes it, they will replace it under warranty for up to a year for issues like that, and you have 14 days for any reason at all.

I don't know of any good solutions to recommend though, other than to make sure your screen is clean and maybe a factory reset. If it persists after a factory reset, I'd say it's definitely a hardware issue.

The other things you mention such as fingerprints and an opened box sound pretty suspect too...you never know if some employee decided to restock it instead of returning it, though I've never heard of that either. I would call Verizon and let them try to troubleshoot, and then send you a replacement.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    C Dippa, thanks for your feedback. I have activated the phone and it still does the same thing. I called Verizon and they don't want to think it is a bad phone but I really do. In fact I think that they sent me a returned phone, it just didn't quite seem new, if you know what I mean.

I did make a very odd observation about it though. I had it on the dialer screen and it was acting up, and I had my finger just a bit from the screen and started to really focus my mind at my finger (like a Jedi) and it started entering all sorts of numbers as long as I could keep focused. How strange is that!!!!!!?

I have been a little stressed, maybe my phone can sense this and is trying to run away...LOL

Maybe, it is like #5, and is ALIVE.

If i keep at it I might find that I can learn to control my phone mentally and not have to use the screen interface!

Has anyone else received a phone packaged like I did, in the photo above, from Verizon?

I'm just looking for feedback, thanks!

X Informant
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    that's not normal, I think you have two choices:
    a) factory reset phone and test again, if it is still behaving erratically, then exchange it for a new one at the nearest verizon store
    b) exchange it for a new one at the nearest verizon store

edit: just wanted to add that I don't see anything in the picture of the shipping box that looks out of the norm to me
    Last edited by PhilD; 06-15-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just an update to my issues:

My X seemed to be defective and Verizon shipped a replacement. At first they seemed to think that I was just not using the screeen input properly but they didn't give me any issues returning it after I tried a factory reset; which did nothing to fix the issue.

I now have a new X and all is good to go now. Thanks for the replies above.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilD View Post

edit: just wanted to add that I don't see anything in the picture of the shipping box that looks out of the norm to me
    You are right about that, the new one came with little care taken with the packaging.

This is probably what I disliked the most about the entire upgrade. I really wished that they cared for my new phone a little more and not just tossed it into a box for shipping. This WILL be a significant consideration when or IF I ever order another phone through them.
    Last edited by inceptor; 06-21-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: I duno ho to spll smtimes...LOL

X Informant
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    You are right about that, the new one came with little care taken with the packaging.

This is probably what I disliked the most about the entire upgrade. I really wished that they cared for my new phone a little more and not just tossed it into a box for shipping. This WILL be a significant consideration when or IF I ever order another phone through them.
    well, at least you have a working phone now, that's good news, my X has been good to me for almost a full year now, hopefully you will be just as happy with yours

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
    well, at least you have a working phone now, that's good news, my X has been good to me for almost a full year now, hopefully you will be just as happy with yours
    That is the way I see it too.

Verizon didn't give me a hard time and overall were very helpfull, I love Verizon. There was an issue that I brought to their attention. We worked through the issue TOGETHER and that is all that I could ask from a company.

Issues are bound to come up from time to time and it is how we deal with them that makes the differnece. I didn't get angry or particulairly frustrated, I just went with it and everything worked out fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Ads