Email no longer working?

This is a discussion on Email no longer working? within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I have my work email set up and everything was fine for about three weeks on a push schedule. Two weeks ago, I had gone ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Email no longer working?

Email no longer working?

I have my work email set up and everything was fine for about three weeks on a push schedule. Two weeks ago, I had gone for three days without receiving any email whatsoever on my DX so I decided to set a fetch schedule instead of push. This resolved the problem for about a week, at which point it stopped working again. Now my email does not sync (despite no change in the settings) in any way, shape or form.

Is this an issue with my DX or my email server?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Welcome to the forums!

Are you using gMail or an exchange account...sometimes the "auto sync" feature is disabled which causes this issue...if you want to add the power control widget onto any of your homescreens (long press on your home screen, select widget, select power control) and then ensure that "auto sync" is enabled (will be the 2 arrows going in a circle)...once you have confirmed this, you can delete the widget if you want (long press, drag to the trash, release when both the widget and trash can are red)...

If that does not work, you may want to doublecheck your phone email settings just to be sure that your accounts are still configured correctly...are you getting email if you force sync the account?

Failure isn't falling down, failure is staying down.

Guidelines of Conduct for DroidXForums.com

does the green line indicate that autosync is enabled? If so, it's already enabled.

When I force-synced the account a few weeks ago it worked fine. Now it doesn't seem to be, yet the settings are all still correct. Problem is, it takes quite a while to sync the account (especially since it's been down for a while - lots of messages). If I exit the email application during the middle of a sync (or even select an email to view it, staying within the application) the sync stops completely. My understanding is that once a sync is started it shouldn't stop until the emails have been grabbed (it's not giving me any kind of server error message).

Could it be an issue with the email app?

Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Are you using gMail or an exchange account...sometimes the "auto sync" feature is disabled which causes this issue...if you want to add the power control widget onto any of your homescreens (long press on your home screen, select widget, select power control) and then ensure that "auto sync" is enabled (will be the 2 arrows going in a circle)...once you have confirmed this, you can delete the widget if you want (long press, drag to the trash, release when both the widget and trash can are red)...

If that does not work, you may want to doublecheck your phone email settings just to be sure that your accounts are still configured correctly...are you getting email if you force sync the account?

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Which email app are you currently using?

Have you tried to clear data / cache in the phone settings - applications - manage applications - find the email app you are using...open, clear data / cache, force close and then go back and open & see if the sync feature works.

Technician X
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    This is a known issue with dx. Google it on Motorola support forums and you will se many people including myself with this issue. How to solve:
    1) battery pull - always gets things flowing again
    2) get the latest version of android 2.2.1 - moto told me this helps but it did not for me
    3) reboot daily - some have suggested that a buildup of cache is the cause. Not sure but a reboot a day keeps the email clog away for me
    4) running an aosp rom helps me. The reason, outgoing messagescget stuck in outbox when things are clogged. AOSP email shows you the outbox while email is exiting. Very nice. Pm me if you need to know more

Technician X
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    I may forget to check back here if you need more help

It's very disappointing that a phone can be this poor with email, requiring a daily reboot?

To answer some other questions - I am currently running the stock email client - is there a better one to use (that's preferably free)?

I'm also already on 2.2.1

I tried the cache tip but got nothing.

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    K9 is a decent email client & easy to configure...

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Xalcyx, for you does a battery pull get things going again?

Technician X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
    It's very disappointing that a phone can be this poor with email, requiring a daily reboot?

To answer some other questions - I am currently running the stock email client - is there a better one to use (that's preferably free)?

I'm also already on 2.2.1

I tried the cache tip but got nothing.
    The cache was just something someone said ... I wasn't saying I thought it would work

As far as being dissapointed Im past that and more interested in trying to figure it out. I'm not going back to blackberry. I'm not buying an iPhone or windows mobile phone at this point. So I'm stuck trying to figure out is the problem with android, moto, or my corporation? To blame the phone is a bit simplistic. I haven't experienced any issues since we switched to exchange 2010. Maybe Microsoft doesn't play well with Google.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads