keyboard dropping out problem

This is a discussion on keyboard dropping out problem within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Quite frequently while texting or preparing an email, while typing, the keyboard will drop out. It doesn't make a difference which keyboard I'm using. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: keyboard dropping out problem

X Lurker
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

keyboard dropping out problem

Quite frequently while texting or preparing an email, while typing, the keyboard will drop out. It doesn't make a difference which keyboard I'm using. I will be typing away the keyboard will drop out thereby opening whatever may be on the screne where the keyboard just was. I can't touch the text box bringing my message back up. But whatever word I was in the middle of typing when the keyboard dropped out will be erased and replaced by what ever I start typing new?

I hope that doesn't sound too confusing, but I'm not real sure how to put it into words. Hopefully someone out there knows exactly what I'm talking about and has had the same problem. If so I hope you have a remedy or at least an explanation as to why this occurs.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    I recently had this issue as well - running the Liberty ROM and had my notification set to vibrate...when a new SMS came in, it would take the keyboard away (regardless of what activity I was in) and just leave wherever my msg was at the time...I just recently reflashed Liberty and the issue seems to have resolved itself...

Failure isn't falling down, failure is staying down.

Guidelines of Conduct for DroidXForums.com

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine does it whether I'm getting an incoming text or not. there seems to be no rhyme or reason to why it does it and I can't duplicate it when I try to make it happen. like by sliding my fingers crossed the keyboard for anything

X Lurker
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What is happening is that the keyboard is becoming corrupt. This happens with too much data built up. If you wipe the Multi-Touch keyboard data (in the application manager) this problem should go away.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm still kinda new to some of this and feeling my way around. Do I. Need a specific app manager? Is there a default one on the phone? How do I go about wiping without loosing my apps and other settings? I guess what I'm saying is HELP!!!

X Lurker
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    No additional application required. Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All. In this list find the multi-touch keyboard and then click Clear Data. Let me know if this doesn't work.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    All right thanks. I found that looking around but didn't do anything because I didn't want to change something I shouldn't. As luck would have it, after clearing the data, the keyboard dropped out twice while writing this response. I'd like to figure out why but I guess I'll just have to live with it?

I also ran an update to os 4.5 hoping this might cure it since it started after my last update, but no luck. My keyboard has now changed color to dark gray letters on light gray keys that are impossible to see in anything more than dimly lit areas. Have any idea how to change their color?

X Lurker
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Clearing out the data seems to have worked for me. my issue was that every time I pressed space bar my keyboard would go away, and trying to continue to type didnt work because new words would be placed in the middle of the message. Droid X2

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I guess I should have given an update that I completely forgot I posted this. I ended up having to backup all of my apps & contacts and junk & doing a hard reset. That fixed it.

X Informant
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 1.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been having the exact same problem. My girlfriend has too. richielwolf, you will find that the problem will keep recurring after the hard reset. Verizon had my girlfriend and I do that to our phones. After a week or 2, both phones started doing it again.
    I think I am going to try clearing the data on the keyboard. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll let you know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads