How to Replace a Droid X Screen By :Robby

This is a discussion on How to Replace a Droid X Screen By :Robby within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; Hey Guys, found this while surfing the web. By: Robby @ Disassemble the Droid X , I am only reposting: How to Replace Droid X ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to Replace a Droid X Screen By :Robby

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 3.4%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredThree Friends100 Experience PointsYour first GroupCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times

Red face How to Replace a Droid X Screen By :Robby

Hey Guys, found this while surfing the web. By: Robby @ Disassemble the Droid X , I am only reposting:
    How to Replace Droid X Cracked Screen

Posted on August 16, 2010 by Robby

This post isnít perfect, but I will be updating it very soon with better directions.
    Brief Explanation

Unlike the Iphone, Replacing the screen on the Droid X is actually extremely difficult. The way the phone was designed, the digitizer (the plastic screen underneath the glass) is glued right to the gorilla glass. When trying to replace a cracked screen, you actually have to peel all of the glass off of the digitizer. To make things even more difficult and even risky, you canít disconnect the digitizer from the cell phone itself. There is a piece of electrical ribbon hardwired directly to the motherboard and processor. If you break it (which is actually really easy to do) the touch screen part of the droid x is useless. Without the touchscreen, you canít even get to the home screen. If you still want to try it there are directions and pictures below.
    Step One: Disassemble the phone:

Here is a good video off you tube which [demonstrates] how to disassemble your phone.
    Step Two: Remove Glass from Digitizer

This is probably the hardest part. BE VERY CAREFUL THAT YOU DONíT TEAR THE RIBBON! There is a thin piece of electrical ribbon attached to the digitizer. The ribbon is hardwired to the motherboard and needs to be handled very carefully. Take a small screwdriver or something and carefully remove the different pieces of glass. The plastic digitizer itself is actually quite durable, so as long as you are careful with the ribbon, you donít have to worry about tearing it. It does however scratch easily so being gentle is still a good idea. The plastic is glued to the glass, but the glue is not very strong so it does peel off fairly easily. Once you have all the big pieces of glass peeled of, take rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover and try and clean off the old glue and rest of the smaller pieces.
    Step 3: Replace the screen

Until someone starts manufacturing replacement gorilla glass screens, the next best option would probably be to cut out a piece of non reflective, thin plexiglass and use spray on glue. You can get both at home depot. Use an exacto knife to cut out the exact size that you need. (a good idea is to make a paper stencil using the phone itself. Spray the glue onto the digitizer and carefully remount it onto the plexiglass or screen.
    Step Four: Re-Assemble the Phone

Knight AdamTomaino of The X Clan!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    i took my ipod classic and changed out a broken screen and i thought that was pretty hard, getting the dumb thing apart.... this looks even funner... ( if that was a word)

but good write up !

Looking to do a repair on the droid x. I found a part that i believe has the digitizer and glass attached. In your write up you mention that the glass part needs to be seperated from the digitizer and the new glass attached. You also mention that the digitizer is hard wired to the mainboard. Is this true? The part I am looking at seems to have the same exact cable configuration so I am thinking that you can actually remove the digitizer / glass and cable assembly together as one piece.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am new to the forum, thanks for your help.

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredThree Friends100 Experience PointsYour first GroupCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slacker77 View Post
    Looking to do a repair on the droid x. I found a part that i believe has the digitizer and glass attached. In your write up you mention that the glass part needs to be seperated from the digitizer and the new glass attached. You also mention that the digitizer is hard wired to the mainboard. Is this true? The part I am looking at seems to have the same exact cable configuration so I am thinking that you can actually remove the digitizer / glass and cable assembly together as one piece.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am new to the forum, thanks for your help.
    Yes, I confirm that all of your assumptions are correct. The digitizer is attached to the gorilla glass. If you have a replacement dig on glass (IDK if is made) then you are in good shape.-AT

Great, thanks for responding.

X Lurker Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is it worth replacing if i would like to have my screen in mint condition? My phone has a scratch that i can see while the screen is on, and other scratches but i can't see them with the screen on.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The top half of my droid x screen isn't working.......

So i would need to replace the digitizer/touch screen, and not the lcd?

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboys843 View Post
    The top half of my droid x screen isn't working.......

So i would need to replace the digitizer/touch screen, and not the lcd?
    Digitizer is broken.

No Picture?!?

Ok... so I used this video along with some other info to replace my cracked screen. Everything seemed to go pretty smoothly and even though I was crazy nervous, I felt like I did everything just like I was "instructed". When I was, what I thought as finished, and turned the phone back on, nothing happened. I then thought that maybe the battery needed a charge, so I plugged the phone up. When I did that it gave me the little vibrate/buzz thing it does when you unlock the phone. At that point I realized that it was in fact on, but nothing was coming up on the lcd... Now what do I do to get my picture back, or is it even possible? It was working fine beforehand... actually, other than the the spider-webbed glass being impossible to see through sometimes, the phone worked great. I was starting to have trouble with texting the day before i changed the glass, but everything else worked fine! HELP!

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leighwarren View Post
    Ok... so I used this video along with some other info to replace my cracked screen. Everything seemed to go pretty smoothly and even though I was crazy nervous, I felt like I did everything just like I was "instructed". When I was, what I thought as finished, and turned the phone back on, nothing happened. I then thought that maybe the battery needed a charge, so I plugged the phone up. When I did that it gave me the little vibrate/buzz thing it does when you unlock the phone. At that point I realized that it was in fact on, but nothing was coming up on the lcd... Now what do I do to get my picture back, or is it even possible? It was working fine beforehand... actually, other than the the spider-webbed glass being impossible to see through sometimes, the phone worked great. I was starting to have trouble with texting the day before i changed the glass, but everything else worked fine! HELP!
    Sound like you either forgot to connect a wire or broke a connection..... or your screen is bad....are the lights on at all? connect the phone and attempt to send an ADB command and see if you get any response. Also sorry for the late response.-AT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads