Need help understanding reflashing

This is a discussion on Need help understanding reflashing within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; I've done some reading and all that I've accomplished is just confusing myself. I've got a D/X that I'd like for my wife to have, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help understanding reflashing

X Informant Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Need help understanding reflashing

I've done some reading and all that I've accomplished is just confusing myself. I've got a D/X that I'd like for my wife to have, but it has a ****ty version of Froyo. Its got the typical early Froyo release problems. Hangs at the Motorola screen on reboot, cant get the lock screen to go away, kind of slow and glitchy.

I've tried going into the recovery menu and doing a factory reset then disabling the automatic restore, and the same issues are still there.

So I'd like to flash the phone back to 2.1 and then do another 2.2 OTA update once its activated on my wifes account. My issue is, Im not sure exactly how to do this.

So anyone wanna help me out?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    if you already took the 2.2 OTA, you cant go back to 2.1. You can use the 2.2 sbf over at rootzwiki - that should clear up any issues.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/ha...ing-guide.html

3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. I'll read through that and see what I can come up with.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Alright, after reading through that, seems like thats what I need to do. Guess I'll give it a shot.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    OKay I ran through the whole process and it didnt do anything. Like I said in my 1st post, I did a factory reset, which didnt work and I dl'ed launcher pro. We then last night I finally got a chance to DL RSD Lite, get the driver, and walk thru the steps of reflashing the phone. Everything went through and when it rebooted, it still hung at the Motorola screen, which I had to wait about 20 min. to get the phone back on and nothing ws changed.

I've read and searched, and it seems like Im the only one on the planet that is having this problem. Luckily this is a 2nd phone that Im trying to get working right so I can activate it on my wifes account.

X Operative
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 2.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Im having same issue and can't seem to find or get a answer

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the answer I believe. Just found it with some more searching:

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    The "M" logo problem on boot is a race condition in the linux kernel on the phone. Its basically a timing issue from when voltage regulator is turned on for the display control and when the initial reset is given when the kernel loads. Replaceing doesn't usually make the problem go away for most folks. All sorts of variables go into whether the "M" freeze occurs on the phone including temp of phone, charge on battery, whether plugged into USB, etc as its a timing/temp issue. The reason that the factory reset works is not that it resets things per say, but that it is initializing the display using some different code and then phone is able to come up on next boot.
    Motorola says they have a fix, but it won't be released to the next software update on the phone. You can try getting another phone to see if it helps, but I have 4 droid X phones (as a dev) and every single one has done it at one time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Everything I have seen points at is being a software problem associated with the mapphone-panel driver for the LCD display. The software problem was accidently introduced by motorola in the release of the kernel for the 2.2 OTA update.

So far in my experience Verizon is sending out replacement phones that they "have tested" to make sure they don't have the problem. But the phones are being delivered with the 2.1 OS which doesn't have the problem. Then as soon as you upgrade ot the 2.2 OTA update, you start getting the problem again as its a software problem.

It is possible that as of the last month or so they are shipping the phone with a different LCD display or something, that uses a different driver in the kernel, so the bug doesn't happen. But haven't seen any evidence of that. While my understanding of the bug is far from 100% I think that only a kernel update on the phone will fix the problem, which has yet to be seen in the wild as released.

I think that those who say they have never had the problem, are typically those who don't turn their phone off/on very often or drain the battery completely dead. Since it is a race condition between the voltage regulator comming on, the voltage stabalizing, then LCD comming on. It is possible that the tollerances in the chip/resistors/capacitors are such that there are some phones that never have the problem. So if verizon is sending you out a replacement phone its worth a try, as problem could get better or could get worse with new phone.

So it looks like an insurance clam for a phone that took a swim is gonna be in order.
    Last edited by HillBilly Deluxe; 11-28-2010 at 02:48 PM.

X Operative
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 2.7%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. Good info

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    gman is a smart man lol glad u found that

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hopefully this helps some others when they search.

Although I would like an answer as to why even when I do a sbf flash of the phone to make it like new, it has no effect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads