Screen blacking out while making calls

This is a discussion on Screen blacking out while making calls within the Droid X Help forums, part of the Droid X Discussion category; This doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I am on a call the screen goes black, then a couple of seconds later the ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Screen blacking out while making calls

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Screen blacking out while making calls

This doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes when I am on a call the screen goes black, then a couple of seconds later the call is dropped (at the time, I have at least 2 signal bars). Also, I will make a call and try to hang up by hitting the red end call button, and nothing happens. It's as if the screen is freezing up. I also received the new update last night, and the screen froze again this morning on a call. Cannot see any differences from the update - maybe in time I will be able to tell.

Was wondering if this is an isolated problem.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Operative Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    A few things i suggest you trying. Clean your glass, I cant tell you how many times my sweat/grease from my face is on my phone and it causes the screen to "touch" EVERYWHERE, sometimes causing the call to drop cuz it presses end or making it unresponsive because there's already "touches" on screen.

Turn off the screen with the lock button, thoroughly clean the glass, turn back on and check. That should help solve your problem, it can also be the cause for the screen going black but the proximity sensors are picking up what came from your face and is thinking the phone is close to your skin so it shuts off the screen.

Let me know how it goes.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The screen is supposed to go black while on the phone.

X Informant
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FMMFL View Post
    The screen is supposed to go black while on the phone.
    Only when you put it up to ur face, to talk.

Sent from my DROIDX
    Cell Phone History:

(Currently)Droid X - Samsung Omnia i910 - LG Venus - LG Chocolate 1 - Samsung - Flip/Dumbphones(2)

X Conveyor Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven71ne View Post
    Only when you put it up to ur face, to talk.

Sent from my DROIDX
    I don't know about you but that's usually where my phone is when I'm on it

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yes! Mine does this too. I understand how it shuts off when it's near your face, but sometimes it does this when you are trying to enter numbers during a call. It doesn't happen with anything except the phone, not in any other app. I will try cleaning the glass. Another thing which might help, I think, is to press the numbers more sharply and quickly than you do anything else. It may require real "definite" presses so it's not confused by accidentally touching your face during a call.

X Operative Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    the finger presses are mistaken for your face and if your pressing right after holding it to your face the grease/sweat is adding on to the whole "shadow" when you start to hover your finger over the glass. If you know you're going to be pressing buttons, start the call in speaker phone then you wont have to worry about wipping it around lol

X Lurker Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    When I am on a call the key pad is what is on my screen. My phone stays extremely clean so maybe I am accidently touching it and not realizing it. I will see if there is a setting to lock it if I am on a call. It happens with only one of my contacts - maybe there's a reason for that!

I am also having this problem and am getting really frustrated. However, mine is also having this problem when someone calls me. The phone is ringing but the screen is just black. I can't answer it. I try to hit every button but there's nothing there and nothing happens. Then once the phone rings all the way through and it starts to go to VM, the screen suddenly comes back on to show I have a missed call. Any thoughts? It doesn't always happen, only sometimes. But it's starting to do it more and more and I think I have to take it back. Everything else works just fine though!

+ Reply to Thread

Ads