Boot Animation Switcher Application by n8 - Change your boot anims the easy way

This is a discussion on Boot Animation Switcher Application by n8 - Change your boot anims the easy way within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Update: added the list of animations you get with this app I'm posting this because of all the different questions people seem to have about ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Boot Animation Switcher Application by n8 - Change your boot anims the easy way

X Informant Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Boot Animation Switcher Application by n8 - Change your boot anims the easy way

Update: added the list of animations you get with this app
    I'm posting this because of all the different questions people seem to have about Boot Animation changes. I have a handy app that I DO NOT take credit for, I just can't find the original post where I found it. Obviously the app says by n8 on the title screen so thats where I'm giving credit.

**YOU MUST BE ROOTED TO DO THIS** (no-brainer)

This app comes with 17 boot animations, listed below. If you complete my tutorial you will have the following boot animations at your disposal, changed on the fly!
    1. Stock Motorola Droid (RED EYE)
    2. Stock Nexus One X Splash
    3. Pink Droid Eye
    4. CyanogenMod Nexus Small (prash)
    5. CyanogenMod Nexus Larger (prash)
    6. Dancing Banana
    7. Android Pissing On Apple
    8. Dripping Blood
    9. CyanogenMod (liquidzgrl)
    10. CyberChaos
    11. Flying Boot
    12. The Matrix
    13. Rotting Apple
    14. Spinning Droid
    15. Stick Fight
    16. Super Mario
    17. CM Logo (cole20444)

For those who are unaware, android looks in two areas for a boot animation (although I believe some specific phones only look in one of the two for some reason). It looks for bootanimation.zip first in /data/local, then in /system/media. This app does not let you use your own animations, only the ones built into the app.

How to use this app:

Download the apk I uploaded (link at bottom). I like to download directly from the phone. If you're going to download from your phone make sure you use stock "browser" to do so, as most other browsers are not compatible / seem to have trouble at times.

I learned the hard way that:
    This app will NOT backup your stock / current custom boot animation so PLEASE BACKUP YOUR CURRENT BOOT ANIMATION.

To do this, simply plug phone into pc, fire up a command prompt (start > search/run > cmd). I always like to type "adb devices" without quotes first to make sure my device is ready for adb commands and online. You should see a series of numbers (hex) and letters and then the word device, meaning you're good to go.
    **These will take anywhere from 5 - 10 seconds so be patient, dont go pulling the usb cable or anything =)

adb pull /data/local/bootanimation.zip c:\bootanims\datalocal.zip
    adb pull /system/media/bootanimation.zip c:\bootanims\systemmedia.zip

type exit hit enter.

Thats it, run the app you downloaded earlier and start downloading new boot animations! Common sense: you must first hit download after tapping the boot animation you wish to try, after its done, hit apply.

For the DX, since I personally run the blue Gala X theme, I like the "CyanogenMod Large" boot anim because its a big blue X (probably for neXus but nobody will know) made out of particles.

If you want your stock animation back after trying them all, plug in phone, fire up cmd prompt then:
    adb devices (optional to make sure its properly running)
    adb push c:\bootanims\datalocal.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip
    adb push c:\bootanims\systemmedia.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
    adb reboot
    Done.

I take no credit for this app, I tried to find where I originally found it with no luck. The only issue I have with the app is it doesn't show you previews... but the animations are all fairly small in size and they are downloaded to a folder on your sdcard: /mnt/sdcard/BootChangerBoots , so you can always get rid of them there if you're weirdo about space / disk allocation.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=APRYAA26

F2E
    Last edited by fused2explod; 10-01-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Added List of Boot Animations in application

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsThree FriendsCreated Album pictures100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    243 times
    Seems like a good idea, changing the boot animation isn't a real difficult thing to do using Root Explorer. Be nice to have a library of Boot Animations that you could change easily.

Real nice write up
    KillaKeith likes this.

500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Yeah, it is pretty simple to change, I found the hardest part of it was just keeping all the different ones organized. I'm thinking about writing a little app like this but instead of hard-coding animations, pull from online database so adding new ones is simple. This way artists could access the subject easier(deviantart?) and we would probably have tons of animations in no time.

F2E

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Can I get a little feedback as far as the application goes? Going to release my version of the app soon with backup / db support just need some feedback to iron out any bugs people are having. Particularly major issues with functionality.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a pretty cool app. Wish it had support to pick my own animations. Maybe in your version it could make its own folder on the SD Card and then when you want to apply an animation it would take you to the folder allowing you to pick the file itself? Not sure how hard that would be to code so not going to say it's easy.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I apologize in advance. I am a noob and just rooted my DX w/ 2.1 yesterday. So far so good. Changing the boot animation grabed my interest. I downloaded the boot animation app and it installed fine. It will download the zip okay also. If I hit the apply button nothing happens as far as changing the boot animation on reboot. If I use the boot strap to reboot and install the .zip from sd it will just freeze... Not eniterly sure if I am doing something wrong... If anyone has advice on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Nice app thanks you're

Some cool features or wish list would be:
    + auto backup of stock to sdcard
    + mini preview of boot animation
    + ability to add local/own

Very nice as is, just feedback as requested

Droid X Tranquility 3.6.0
    1GHz undervolted@49, 800MHz@44, 600MHz@30, 300MHz@19

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Lets say I don't care about my current boot animation.. I'm running the rubix .03 rom.. If I apply lets say the rotting apple WITHOUT backing up my original boot animation.. What happens if I install a different rom? Does it over write your apps downloaded boot animation?

Also can I do the back up on my mac book pro with terminal? (i know. I'm a apple computer fan..but not a iphone fan)

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    @JamesMac
    If you really are rooted then hitting apply should ask you to allow super user permissions the first time. If not the very first time, it would say "Boot Changer has been granted super user privileges". If you're not seeing these messages you need to check your root status. Also check to make sure an animation is fully downloaded by tapping once on download, waiting till it finishes and tapping again. It should say you've already downloaded this animation.

X Lurker Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roooler View Post
    Lets say I don't care about my current boot animation.. I'm running the rubix .03 rom.. If I apply lets say the rotting apple WITHOUT backing up my original boot animation.. What happens if I install a different rom? Does it over write your apps downloaded boot animation?

Also can I do the back up on my mac book pro with terminal? (i know. I'm a apple computer fan..but not a iphone fan)

From what I understand this app loads the bootanimation.zip file to /data/local so if you remove it later you will still have your stock boot animation as it resides in/ system/media and yes it will overwrite your downloaded boot anim in the /data/local folder but it downloads a copy to your sd card when you hit download I believe
    Last edited by clarker86; 10-09-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads