Froyo 2.2 OTA Install Issues...

This is a discussion on Froyo 2.2 OTA Install Issues... within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; So yeah, I removed all themes and put all the bloatware back (but kept root) and I used Rom Manager and downloaded Froyo. It installed ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Froyo 2.2 OTA Install Issues...

X Informant
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Droid X Stuck at Boot

So yeah, I removed all themes and put all the bloatware back (but kept root) and I used Rom Manager and downloaded Froyo.

It installed (I did back it up, just in case) and then when it rebooted, It got stuck on the M logo. I tried again, and now its stuck on the moving eye thing.

EDIT:
    So this got stickied for 2.2 OTA Update issues, just note that the above issue was leaked Froyo, but it's basically the same
    Last edited by James; 09-22-2010 at 05:45 PM.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Droid Network News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I had this happen to me when I tried installing the Froyo update using the default recovery after removing clockworkmod. I used the sbf to restore and then used the updated version of clockworkmod to install the Froyo update and that worked for me.

EDIT* this is the guide I followed for using the SBF: here and if your running in windows 7 make sure you run RSDlite as Administrator
    Last edited by Ack; 08-21-2010 at 12:23 AM.
    I'm Ack, a college student who runs two tech companies, works at a major consulting firm, and does personal consulting as well; oh and I play soccer and volleyball on the side . Follow me: here

X Informant
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ack View Post
    I had this happen to me when I tried installing the Froyo update using the default recovery after removing clockworkmod. I used the sbf to restore and then used the updated version of clockworkmod to install the Froyo update and that worked for me.

EDIT* this is the guide I followed for using the SBF: here and if your running in windows 7 make sure you run RSDlite as Administrator
    Thats what I did, and it failed. But I got into Recovery mode and did a factory reset and it worked. I got into Froyo and set it up, but now I can't boot AGAIN. It either gets stuck at the M logo, or the M logo stays on screen, and I can still use the phone.

It's weird, there's just an M logo, but if I hit the camera button, it goes into camera and even turns the flash on when I hold it halfway.

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    AGH

I just updated to Froyo OTA and it's back to the M logo! I can still unlock and use the camera etc, but its just the M logo!! This was from STOCK 2.1!

Any ideas?

X Informant
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Does your 2.2 say update failed? Look here for fix.

I read a few pages of the "general comments/complaints" thread but that thread is going to be 100 pages soon I'm sure.

I woke up this morning and attempted to download 2.2 OTA. I have a mostly stock phone. The only major changes are that I rooted it and I renamed the bloatware files from "bloatapp.apk" to "bloatapp.bak" so they wouldn't load.

When I downloaded 2.2 the file would download fine, it would start to install by rebooting the phone. The progress meter with the little Android guy would get maybe ~20% of the way through and the phone would just reboot. After it rebooted fully it would then say "Update failed."

I thought maybe it was ONLY backupassistant.apk first that was missing and causing the issues, but putting that back didn't seem to make any difference. Only after I put ALL bloatware apps back by renaming them BACK to .bak did it the andoid meter then continue on to 100% and complete the update.

So my basic advice is to put the phone as close to stock as you can, or at least the \system\apps directory, as the updater seems to be searching that directory to ensure it passes checks before continuing your update.

I did not need to revoke root access.

Good luck.

X Informant
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    any chance to upload the VZ bloatware? i deleted mine not thinking this will affect the upgrade..... (always do a nandroid backup,always do a nandroid backup,always do a nandroid backup)...ughhh......

Thanks for the help btw =]

X Informant
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert336 View Post
    any chance to upload the VZ bloatware? i deleted mine not thinking this will affect the upgrade..... (always do a nandroid backup,always do a nandroid backup,always do a nandroid backup)...ughhh......

Thanks for the help btw =]
    Removing the Bloat

That thread is a "removing the bloat" thread, and I believe there are links in there somewhere that tell you how to get it back. Notice in the first page or two several people say if you removed this stuff, PUT IT BACK!

You might link back here with how you put the bloat back if you get it working. My only other thought is that you might restore the phone from scratch, just make sure and do an app backup first.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    332 times
    Yes I wish this site would EDIT THAT THREAD you should not REMOVE anything.

X Pursuant Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Wait I read 2 different posts and its cofusing me can someone clarify this???

1. If im on first leaked 2.2 rooted and want the new official OTA (I read not to apply the sbs 2.1 stock because it bricks your phone)

2. If im on first 2.2 leaked rooted (im allowed to flash stock 2.1 sbs and apply the official OTA update for 2.2 and it does NOT brick your phone. However after im on the new official 2.2 OTA and then try to sbs back to 2.1 then it bricks.

Which one of these is true if any can someone clarify thanks.

-DXed via Tapatalk-

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads