Question about rooting and OS version

This is a discussion on Question about rooting and OS version within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; So I've been scouring the net for info on the DX. (my wife told me today she feels neglected) So I feel pretty good about ...

Thread: Question about rooting and OS version

X Informant Achievements:
    31 days registered7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question about rooting and OS version

So I've been scouring the net for info on the DX. (my wife told me today she feels neglected)

So I feel pretty good about rooting and such after I've played around with the stock version for a while.

My question is this: I haven't received the unit yet...should be here Friday and I can't find anywhere on here if its going to have this new 2.2 (or whatever the latest version is) already installed or I'll have to update it.

So what are the pros and cons of doing a root if:

1. it does already have the newest version
    2. It does not (then, should I do the root or install the 2.2 first, then root?)

I'm trying to avoid getting into something more complicated IF I do (or do not) do either one of these and then choose to root.

I know I'll want custom Roms and tethering and speeding up the processor, deleting the bloat and the other things.

I guess I just don't know what my starting point should be.

Please advise...thanks!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Informant
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Congratulations and welcome.

I suppose it is possible, but I doubt it is probable that your new DX will have 2.2. Everyone out here is eagerly awaiting the first reports of Froyo.

Root access just gives you permission to the sensitive areas of the phone. Its really not that big of a deal unless you start deleting stuff.

With the one button click apps, it is as simple a pressing a button. The tethering apps are easy to install etc... so whether you do it before or after the update shouldn't matter.

But now I will say, as a Unix Administrator, I root and unroot as I need to. It'sjust too easy to screw something up.

Good luck with the descision.

Sent from my DROIDX

3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree, its highly unlikely X's being shipped now will come with 2.2... But once they start shipping them with 2.2 you will hear about it here.

Rooting is very simple with the new one-click apps out there... I would suggest that until you really educate yourself here in the forums that you do not take it any further than rooting and installing for-root apps.

Its not that un-bricking your phone is to difficult if you do screw up (which you will likely do, lol, i did), alot of users here have had a hard time trying to do so. Its really easy to fix your phone after reading up and learning what to do (or more importantly, what not to do).

Root, read, learn to do a nandroid backup (you will need Droid X Recovery Bootstrap from the market)... read more Did i mention reading?

31 days registered7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So you're saying I should read then. Will do. So I viewed this video on the one button root process. Seems pretty straight forward. So here's a question.

If I root and say...tether, install some root apps, then I noticed you can hit a button that says UNROOT. Should that be done BEFORE I get the 2.2 OTA?

Aha...another question: This backup with the bootstrap...my gut says I should do that from the very beginning. Would this be so I can get the machine back to its "out of box" smell/touch/taste & feel? I'm thinking of it like doing a restore point on a Windows computer. Is this kind of what it is?

Thanks a kaboodle folks. (yeah, i work in entertainment...we use words like kaboodle) Anyway, thanks.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i just got my droid in yesterday and it has 2.1 on it. i just rooted it, the easy root wasnt an option for me, it wouldnt let me do it, maybe because the app isnt there anymore, i dont know, i just know that compatibility test told me no. so i had to do it a harder way, i tried with adb, but had command promt issues, i finally got it done using the youtube video titled: "how to- root the motorola droid x without adb" and i highly suggest going this route if you cant one button it, also, the video tells you to download a file to your phone from the mobile version of that webpage, all it is is the droidxroot_v2.zip. when i tried to do this it wouldnt let me, so here was my "work around" to finish the rooting, i plugged the phone into the computer, in usb mass storage mode, then opend it up in my computer, then created a folder named "download" (without the "), you can get the droidxroot v2 by going to the first link in this webpage here, just extract its contents, and copy them to the download folder you made, copy the contents, not the droidxroot folder. then proceed as the video tells you to.

i am now in search of the files and instructions needed to get to 2.2, i got my free wireless tether, now i need my flashplayer! lol

3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieMan View Post
    So you're saying I should read then. Will do. So I viewed this video on the one button root process. Seems pretty straight forward. So here's a question.

If I root and say...tether, install some root apps, then I noticed you can hit a button that says UNROOT. Should that be done BEFORE I get the 2.2 OTA?

Aha...another question: This backup with the bootstrap...my gut says I should do that from the very beginning. Would this be so I can get the machine back to its "out of box" smell/touch/taste & feel? I'm thinking of it like doing a restore point on a Windows computer. Is this kind of what it is?

Thanks a kaboodle folks. (yeah, i work in entertainment...we use words like kaboodle) Anyway, thanks.
    Yeah, read.. but i bet your already doing that

You will not need to unroot before updating with the OTA 2.2. You may loose root though, if you do, there are other methods of gaining root.

Also, there are more than one one-click-root apps. I tried a windows app called DroidXRoot. It worked just fine.

And yes, right after rooting and installing bootstrap recovery is when i would do a backup. I would also do a backup before you plan to do any modding. This has saved my butt a few times.

And, when you do break things bad enough that you can not even boot you may need to clear/wipe (using the standard recovery) and/or flash the phone using the sbf floating around to get it back to stock 2.1. Re-root, re-install bootstrap then you can restore your nandroid.

Hope this helps

X Operative Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Universal Androot is another 1-click method that works great. Link here --> How to: Root the DROID X Using Universal Androot | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog. Also, @gibson_es, from what I've been reading is that since Motorola issued a warning about the leaked 2.2 version, people have been removing links and files to upgrade. They have also issued warnings about potential problems when trying to upgrade to the OTA 2.2. I would suggest holding off on going to 2.2 until the OTA comes out (hopefully later this month). You can read about it here --> https://supportforums.motorola.com/m...=987654#190567.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Too late. Lol. Im running 2.2 and after fixing a couple little issues its running smoothly. Im pretty happy with it and unless the OTA has something really special to offer I will most likely. Keep the peek. No need to take it back to 2.1 just to get the OTA.

why is verizon or google trying to make root difficult with each update of android OS, it's open source, there should be no proprietary code in linux mobile (android). so what's the big deal in trying to prevent root in opensource OS? WTF google/verizon??

Remove Ads

Ads