Bootloader - Root & Custom ROMs

This is a discussion on Bootloader - Root & Custom ROMs within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Need a little clairification. (Waiting for my X to arrive, so I can't experiment yet) 1. Rooting is available thru multiple methods There is no ...

Thread: Bootloader - Root & Custom ROMs

X Lurker
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bootloader - Root & Custom ROMs

Need a little clairification. (Waiting for my X to arrive, so I can't experiment yet)

1. Rooting is available thru multiple methods
    There is no question here, rooting is cake now!

2. Bootloader - we have access?
    This is where I have questions. Droid X Recovery Bootstrap app is out by Koush. In this post it states ---> Droid X Recovery - coming soon (by Koush)

"Currently, this will allow us Custom roms, but NOT custom kernels. However, Rainabba/birdman have been successful in loading custom kernels on their Dev phone, so if all goes well they may be able to port the system over to our stock Droid X for upgrading."

What do we not have access to? If we can root and use the bootstrap, shouldn't we be able to do custom ROMs and almost anything else?? The bootloader is encrypted, but does it matter if we are bypassing it with the boostrap? I just hear a lot a talk about not being able to have customs ROMs with an encrypted bootloader, but I don't see what would hold us back?? Birdman and Rainabba have been flashing kernels to. Are there any real limitations?

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Everything is crackable, it's just a matter of time before someone figures it out. Birdman and Rainabba have been making awesome progress.

From what I understand (and I'm probably wrong as I am not the brightest star on these forums...) custom ROMs with stock kernel are do-able, but the kernel is still locked out. Rainabba and Bird have a dev phone which has the unlocked bootloader and last I heard it wasn't clear whether or not this will be able to be "ported" over to our Xs or not, but never-the-less it's going to help overall.

The bootloader is still what's holding us back, but leaps and bounds are being made to over come this, and it will happen with time. I say we find some moto engineer who has access to the keys, drug him, get some "compromising" photos taken, and then get our keys
    Droid X Rooted with Rubix Focused and 928 Black

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately the Dev phone that alldroid has doesn't have an unlocked bootloader (says in their about our Droid X thread at alldroid) so no luck on that but only a matter of time before someone gets that cracked open.

X Conveyor Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    The encryption will never get cracked. However, what will happen is a way to get around the encryption. There have been a couple methods in the making for the Milestone for awhile. One of the methods is a double-boot or something like that. Basically, your phone will boot normally but automaticall switch over to booting from a custom ROM with a custom kernel.

I wouldn't hold your hopes up for custom kernels ever being a reality for the Droid X and Droid Milestone. It really doesn't matter to me though. 2.2 is awesome how it is, and the themes avaialble are fantastic. I'm content either way.
    -- Rooted Droid X --

- Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz
    - EVGA Classified 760
    - 2 x EVGA GTX 480s in SLI
    - 6GB G.Skill 2GHz CAS 8 RAM
    - Thermaltake 1200W PSU
    - BD-RW Drive

X Lurker
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejecting View Post
    I say we find some moto engineer who has access to the keys, drug him, get some "compromising" photos taken, and then get our keys
    Just need a name and address. lol That's funny! I have always wondered if those type of people actually visit these sites. It would be a smart thing for them to do. They could learn a thing or two. Other than free tethering, why encrypt the phones? It makes a guy want to go back to HTC.

X Lurker Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2increase View Post
    The encryption will never get cracked. However, what will happen is a way to get around the encryption. There have been a couple methods in the making for the Milestone for awhile. One of the methods is a double-boot or something like that. Basically, your phone will boot normally but automaticall switch over to booting from a custom ROM with a custom kernel.

I wouldn't hold your hopes up for custom kernels ever being a reality for the Droid X and Droid Milestone. It really doesn't matter to me though. 2.2 is awesome how it is, and the themes avaialble are fantastic. I'm content either way.
    We should all be so positive! Saying it will never get cracked is a bold statement, and one that has been said about every single type of security system that has been defeated in the past (not just talking about phones). With the right person, knowledge, tools, and time ANYTHING is crackable/hackable/circumventable/beatable.
    Droid X Rooted with Rubix Focused and 928 Black

X Pursuant Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejecting View Post
    We should all be so positive! Saying it will never get cracked is a bold statement, and one that has been said about every single type of security system that has been defeated in the past (not just talking about phones). With the right person, knowledge, tools, and time ANYTHING is crackable/hackable/circumventable/beatable.
    Yeahhhh...no. Going around it, sure. Cracking it? Maybe if you want to be using your Droid X in 2015 sure.

Remove Ads

Ads