Mobile root vs. ADB root vs. one touch root?

This is a discussion on Mobile root vs. ADB root vs. one touch root? within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Hi everyone, first off I am a noob to the droid environment (droid X is on order) from the Windows TP2 unlocked & custom ROM. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Wicken
  • 1 Post By Pensacola32526

Thread: Mobile root vs. ADB root vs. one touch root?

X Lurker
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Mobile root vs. ADB root vs. one touch root?

Hi everyone, first off I am a noob to the droid environment (droid X is on order) from the Windows TP2 unlocked & custom ROM. Even though I don't have my phone yet, I have already been reading & reading and already want to root it. I have experience, though it is substantially different (easier), in unlocking & installing a custom ROM on my TP2 windows based device. My questions are, wich is easier? Rooting with ADB using my PC or rooting straight through the phone? I have also read about the one touch root but it seems it may have been removed. With the one touch, would I still be able to close it so there is not an open password or so no one could access my apps? Please don't beat me up to bad, I have used the search feature but have not found anything defenititve that puts it in a nut shell. Also, with the update possibly being released today, will my phone possibly come with the update & if so will the rooting be the same or will I have to wait for an updated root?
    Thank you all in advance for your help.
    cooba likes this.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Pursuant Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    1 click root (for windows only)

^ That. Simple as can be. Also there is no update coming today. The only update coming today is for the Droid 1.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    1 year registered3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If I use this, how do i lock the password to deny easy access? Is it built into it? If I use this & need to send the phone in for a warranty claim, is it as easy as unrooting then deleting the one touch app? Thanks!
    Last edited by Wicken; 08-24-2010 at 01:13 PM.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicken View Post
    Hi everyone, first off I am a noob to the droid environment (droid X is on order) from the Windows TP2 unlocked & custom ROM. Even though I don't have my phone yet, I have already been reading & reading and already want to root it. I have experience, though it is substantially different (easier), in unlocking & installing a custom ROM on my TP2 windows based device. My questions are, which is easier? Rooting with ADB using my PC or rooting straight through the phone? I have also read about the one touch root but it seems it may have been removed. With the one touch, would I still be able to close it so there is not an open password or so no one could access my apps? Please don't beat me up to bad, I have used the search feature but have not found anything definitive that puts it in a nut shell. Also, with the update possibly being released today, will my phone possibly come with the update & if so will the rooting be the same or will I have to wait for an updated root?
    Thank you all in advance for your help.
    LOL, you must have read my post about the password leaving your root open on the "one touch root app" thread? I still don't understand how that works. It is a concern! or is it? I'm in the same boat. Just came form WM and ordered a Droid X (ships 9/7/10). Used PPC Kitchen to build WM ROMs. It was a lot of fun. I liked ppc kitchen, because it gave you the power to cook your own personal ROMs. I think Android will prove to be fun as well.

For anyone else reading this, this is what we are talking about. In this post --->How to Root Your Droid X***Updated (v2)*** Rainabba AT ALLDROID came up with the root solution, but stated

Quote: NOTE: It might be a smart idea to do "rm /system/bin/rootshell" after you have su and superuser in place as ANY program will have access to your root if you leave it (cause everyone will know the password)

Hmmm... are we vulnerable?

Anyone receiving their new Droid X with 2.2? As stated above Rainabba and Birdman have a new 1 touch solution. http://alldroid.org/default.aspx?g=posts&t=553 Very Cool!
    Last edited by cooba; 08-24-2010 at 03:39 PM.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Cooba, I did read the article & I hope some one can shed some light on this before I get my phone.

X Pursuant Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    It's nothing important. What it is warning you about is that if a malicious app wanted to, it could get superuser access without asking by putting in this generic password. Tbh, don't worry about it.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    RoOoLeR's Guide to ROOT / BACKUP / ROMS for 2.2 OTA Worked best for me...
    Roooler likes this.

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola32526 View Post
    RoOoLeR's Guide to ROOT / BACKUP / ROMS for 2.2 OTA Worked best for me...
    http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...s-2-2-ota.html

X Operative Achievements:
    3 months registered31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I used the 1-click and it worked fine for me.

Remove Ads

Ads