Has anyone tried the Kexec exploit on their Droid X?

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried the Kexec exploit on their Droid X? within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Alot of buzz on the forum-sphere regarding the Kexec bootloader bypass exploit allowing Droid Razr/DX4 users to load custom kernels onto their devices in spite ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Goose306

Thread: Has anyone tried the Kexec exploit on their Droid X?

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredThree Friends100 Experience PointsYour first GroupCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times

Question Has anyone tried the Kexec exploit on their Droid X?

Alot of buzz on the forum-sphere regarding the Kexec bootloader bypass exploit allowing Droid Razr/DX4 users to load custom kernels onto their devices in spite of Moto's bootlocking. Seems really promising. Has anyone tried this on the DX yet?-AT

If you are brave, let me know how it goes. PS you probably should not install a razr kernal on the DX: ) :
    http://www.eternityproject.eu/topic/49-bootloader-bypass-kexec-for-motorola-razr/
    <a href="http://www.eternityproject.eu/topic/49-bootloader-bypass-kexec-for-motorola-razr/" target="_blank">

Last edited by AdamTomaino; 04-25-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    Knight AdamTomaino of The X Clan!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 2.8%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    this is for the razr only and will not work on the dx and may even permanently brick the phone...i highly suggest not trying this

Sent from my Axiom AOKP Razr Maxx using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
    ....because i said so....

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredThree Friends100 Experience PointsYour first GroupCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by csphelps76 View Post
    this is for the razr only and will not work on the dx and may even permanently brick the phone...i highly suggest not trying this

Sent from my Axiom AOKP Razr Maxx using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
    I agree, I am merely asking if the same exploit will work using a "DX" specific kernel. I have seen postings that this same exploit is working for DX4 users.

According to "kholk" the Admin over at http://www.eternityproject.eu this exploit can easily be ported over to all OMAP4430 device INCLUDING THE DROID X.
    Last edited by AdamTomaino; 04-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 43.1%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamTomaino View Post
    I agree, I am merely asking if the same exploit will work using a "DX" specific kernel. I have seen postings that this same exploit is working for DX4 users.

According to "kholk" the Admin over at http://www.eternityproject.eu this exploit can easily be ported over to all OMAP4430 device INCLUDING THE DROID X.
    Its been discussed for awhile over @Rootz.

First the DX isn't an OMAP 4430 device. The DX is a an OMAP 3630 device.

OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically the kexec exploit for the RAZR isn't the same and won't work. Kexec does work on the DX but its a different process. The fine folks working the Defy (which is OMAP 3630) have exploited kexec, and that was quite awhile ago, but you run into pretty major issues. Like, radio not working, etc.

kexec on the RAZR has pretty major issues too last I heard, like no working CDMA radio (only GSM) and only one core working atm. Last I heard the Defy folks had given up on it. OMAP 3630 just is no longer a viable development platform to try to work on bootloader bypassing... its not the latest and greatest. They have also tried on the OMAP 3430 platform, which is the original Milestone. Lots of work there.

You can go here to see what had happened:

start [And Developers]

Quoted:
    Latest attempt: Yakk patched 2nd-boot to make it work on the Milestone, but his source code remains partly unpublished at this time. Status: boots another kernel, which Yakk has also patched to get serial output over the USB connector (using custom hardware to connect to it). Currently the booted kernel has some problems with USB and fails to initialize the phone's modem so it crashes. See published code and binaries: here (build number 1.03) and here (build number 2.31). All current development of 2ndboot now going here When GSM is disabled this kexec module is able to boot the system with the recompiled kernel, but it is not really useful as a phone then. WiFi works fine, though. Yakk is now trying to use 2ndboot to start a patched version of mbm, which should be able to initialize the modem and then pass control to a custom Linux kernel. This is still under development, so don't get too excited. We'll keep you posted.
    So, don't get your hopes too high, essentially.

X Pursuant
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    Its been discussed for awhile over @Rootz.

First the DX isn't an OMAP 4430 device. The DX is a an OMAP 3630 device.

OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically the kexec exploit for the RAZR isn't the same and won't work. Kexec does work on the DX but its a different process. The fine folks working the Defy (which is OMAP 3630) have exploited kexec, and that was quite awhile ago, but you run into pretty major issues. Like, radio not working, etc.

kexec on the RAZR has pretty major issues too last I heard, like no working CDMA radio (only GSM) and only one core working atm. Last I heard the Defy folks had given up on it. OMAP 3630 just is no longer a viable development platform to try to work on bootloader bypassing... its not the latest and greatest. They have also tried on the OMAP 3430 platform, which is the original Milestone. Lots of work there.

You can go here to see what had happened:

start [And Developers]

Quoted:

So, don't get your hopes too high, essentially.
    Thanks for your AWESOME response. My dreams are crushed... time to upgrade

X Lurker
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just hop on Gummyjar ICS. I have had it as my phone rom for almost a month and I feel it has breathed new life into it.

Remove Ads

Ads