Noob Friendly Verizon Root and CM7 ROM Guide for Droid X .621 OTA Update

This is a discussion on Noob Friendly Verizon Root and CM7 ROM Guide for Droid X .621 OTA Update within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Originally Posted by Loganhood After the reboot I got my contacts back when I synced to Google, but how do I get the ones back ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Noob Friendly Verizon Root and CM7 ROM Guide for Droid X .621 OTA Update

X Informant
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loganhood View Post
    After the reboot I got my contacts back when I synced to Google, but how do I get the ones back that I saved on Verizon backup assistant?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums
    Reread my OP dude.

Quote Originally Posted by holycow131415 View Post
    Reinstall App List Backup and Contacts
    • Go back to market, download App List Backup and restore your list of apps. It gives you the list of apps you had and direct links you to the Market to reinstall them.
    • During setup with Google, it should have asked permission to sync apps and contacts. Verizon Backup Assistant is not available for re-download. So if Google didn’t back up all your contacts, you need to go to the Verizon back up assistant website to export a CVS file to import into Google contacts on the website. If you have many contacts, the Verizon site will take a while to load them all on to your screen. For a while, I thought that my contacts weren’t backed up.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Thanks a lot, great guide. I just switched to CM7 no problems other then the google play store force quitting on me every now and again.

I used Titanium Backup, combined with my Google backups, I have basically everything up to working order in about an hour. Now I'm just getting used to CM7! Next step, get Boot Manager to work and dual boot with CM9!

X Informant
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darkenfo View Post
    Thanks a lot, great guide. I just switched to CM7 no problems other then the google play store force quitting on me every now and again.

I used Titanium Backup, combined with my Google backups, I have basically everything up to working order in about an hour. Now I'm just getting used to CM7! Next step, get Boot Manager to work and dual boot with CM9!
    Awesome. I am still amazed at how fast CM7 is compared to .621 stock

X Pursuant
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 5.1%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    You can now flash the Droid X kernel to you're rooted .604/.621 phone. It's a bit snappier than the Milestone kernel and battery life is better.

Info and download: IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - Droid X - RootzWiki - Page 33

Download only: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__340#entry645986

Just wipe cache and flash and you have the .621 kernel instead of the Milestone .604 kernel.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU TOOK THE OTA .621 UPDATE FROM VERIZON AND ROOTED USING THE .604/.621 METHOD!!
    IF YOU ARE RUNNING .602 OR .605 AND FLASH THIS KERNEL YOU WILL BE STUCK ON .621!!
    Last edited by newmanx4; 04-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Successfully rooted here...

I used the method posted here, and it worked flawlessly... I used the milestone x ROM for a few days I then flashed the new Ics rom.. It is super sweet.. I just wish I could get a faster kernel.. The radio was never touched by the Linux method... After you flash the milestone x ROM and flash the new ROM of your choice.. You have to wipe both the data and cache.. Or else it will get stuck in a boot loop.. It its nice to have rooted droid again.. Thanks to all who worked on this and figured it out..

Question regarding this method. When I boot up the cd and it runs it's setup and then brings up the menu, there are 3 options. SBF with option to root later, root only and then another one (can't remember). I tried to click on the 1st one and it said I needed to log in and I do not have that info. The 2nd option tells me to reboot my phone and set to PC mode, but your instructions say to be in bootloader. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eta: I got it to work. I think I accidentally hit F1 instead of 1 so that is why it was asking for a login...
    Last edited by New_Here; 05-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.

X Informant
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was able to set him ^^ straight through some emails
    GeauxTigers!

Ok. Got it to works and am now rooted. I have lost my "My Verizon Mobile" app and when I try to download it again after the factory reset it says "this item is not available by your carrier" and a couple of others that I used. I see your post about going to Verizon's Backup Assistance site and I need to do that because all of my contacts didn't sync back either and I can't get this back on my phone. Am I not even on Verizon anymore? Sorry to sound like a noob, but I am when it comes to this. I just want to make sure I'm not bouncing off some foreign system and making my rates go through the roof. I also had a game that will not play and says it isn't compatible with my device.

Polar, thank you for the help earlier.

X Informant
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 5.1%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by newmanx4 View Post
    You can now flash the Droid X kernel to you're rooted .604/.621 phone. It's a bit snappier than the Milestone kernel and battery life is better.

Info and download: IMPORTANT Information Regarding .621 System Update! - Droid X - RootzWiki - Page 33

Download only: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-important-information-regarding-621-system-update/page__st__340#entry645986

Just wipe cache and flash and you have the .621 kernel instead of the Milestone .604 kernel.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU TOOK THE OTA .621 UPDATE FROM VERIZON AND ROOTED USING THE .604/.621 METHOD!!
    IF YOU ARE RUNNING .602 OR .605 AND FLASH THIS KERNEL YOU WILL BE STUCK ON .621!!
    So would I have to back any thing up before I wipe cache and flash? Thanks

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 48.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Quote Originally Posted by New_Here View Post
    Ok. Got it to works and am now rooted. I have lost my "My Verizon Mobile" app and when I try to download it again after the factory reset it says "this item is not available by your carrier" and a couple of others that I used. I see your post about going to Verizon's Backup Assistance site and I need to do that because all of my contacts didn't sync back either and I can't get this back on my phone. Am I not even on Verizon anymore? Sorry to sound like a noob, but I am when it comes to this. I just want to make sure I'm not bouncing off some foreign system and making my rates go through the roof. I also had a game that will not play and says it isn't compatible with my device.

Polar, thank you for the help earlier.
    First, your still on Verizon. Don't worry about data rates or any of that junk, it doesn't matter. Your plan is the same and your still on Verizon towers. Your radio is what dictates that and your radio is still Verizon. Its just the actual OS/ROM is nTelos, which is a European/Canadian carrier. But it won't jack with your rates regardless.

Now, if you want stock rooted you should follow the post here:

Important Info for .621 Update!

Read through it, then go to the second post and get the .621 kernel to flash. Put it on your SDCard. (The entire .zip file) Now also grab the file linked here:

Important Info for .621 Update!

And grab the .621 nandroid. Unzip it. (On your PC)

Make sure you have Clockworkmod installed. If you don't, follow these steps:

Get Droid 2 Bootstrap (Market, it'll be a couple $$ but its necessary)

Go in, hit Bootstrap Recovery. Grant Superuser permissions.

Go back to Market, get ROM Manager (free)

Open it, hit Update Clockwork Recovery. Choose Droid 2. Grant it Superuser and wait till it says its updated.

Now take that entire unzipped file from earlier (then one you downloaded called 621nandroid) and put it on the SDCard/clockwork/backup directory.

In ROM Manager, choose to go to Recovery.

Now in Recovery if you want to do a backup before any further, go to Backup/Restore and hit Backup.

Go back in hit Wipe Data/Factory Reset. - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IMPORTANT APPS, ETC backed up before this, as you are going back to factory essentially.

Wipe cache.

Wipe Dalvik (Its under Advanced -> Wipe Dalvik Cache)

Go back to Backup/Restore, this time choose Restore, and choose the 621nandroid to restore.

Let it do its thing.

After its done choose Install zip from SDCard.

Choose the kernel zip.

Let it do its thing.

Reboot.

BAM! .621, Verizon, stock, rooted (besides the boot animation, lol) so you can have the My Verizon apps and that sorta stuff if you want/need it.

Quote Originally Posted by king750 View Post
    So would I have to back any thing up before I wipe cache and flash? Thanks

No. In fact I'm 95% positive a cache wipe isn't needed either, but I haven't tried it without it. Usually for flashing kernels on non-Moto devices no wipes are needed, pretty sure its the same here.

Even if you were to nandroid, nandroids don't keep kernels (at least for the DX) so it doesn't really matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Ads