Noob Friendly Verizon Root and CM7 ROM Guide for Droid X .621 OTA Update

This is a discussion on Noob Friendly Verizon Root and CM7 ROM Guide for Droid X .621 OTA Update within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; I dont use swype, i dont think any rom has swype preinstalled. check out Swype | Text Input for Screens . Need to register, etc....

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Noob Friendly Verizon Root and CM7 ROM Guide for Droid X .621 OTA Update

X Informant
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I dont use swype, i dont think any rom has swype preinstalled. check out Swype | Text Input for Screens . Need to register, etc.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 1.5%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Some comments and questions:

I used your easy instructions and everything worked flawlessly for me, no problems! Then I flashed CM7 like it showed. I was also wondering if there was a way to get swype back I miss it! And also my battery life is completely awful! It didn't even last 8 hours while I was at work and I sent MAYBE 15 text messages total and that was all I used it for. And I know it wasn't any background apps draining it cause I don't have any downloaded yet after the reset. Any suggestions? And also if I have to flash another ROM for better battery life which one would be best? Since I used your instructions, I also went ahead and did the CM7, but can I use any ROM I want to now that its rooted? And if I can't, which ones can I flash? Sorry for the plethora of noob questions, I'm new. But I really appreciated your post!!!

X Informant
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    See my above post about swype For battery life, make sure your screen brightness is all the way down, and install rom toolbox. I myself did notice about battery life, and here is my post Updated Info On RevNumbers CM4DX-GB(HDMI Out, 1% Battery, No Charge LED, FM radio, Charge While Off) - CyanogenMod [shadow] - RootzWiki - Page 410 about how it improved battery. It works now just like it used to About flashing any ROMs, yes you can, just make sure they are for the DX and gingerbread based. If you switch from ROM to ROM, you definitely will have to factory reset/clear data and clear cache, meaning youd have to install apps each time. if you just stick with the CM7 ROM and flash its updates, the most you will need to do is clear cache, which leaves those apps alone. CM7 imo is the most stable as I said in my previous post. You can check out the progression of ICS ROMs that are being developed actively too Droid X Development - RootzWiki but they are along way off.
    Loganhood likes this.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Awesome thanks. I love everything so far except the battery life. I bought ROM toolbox pro and set the profiles like your post showed. If the battery life improves I'll definitely stick with CM7. If it doesn't I'll try some other ROMs. And I downloaded Swype....worked like a charm!! Thanks for the help

X Informant
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loganhood View Post
    Awesome thanks. I love everything so far except the battery life. I bought ROM toolbox pro and set the profiles like your post showed. If the battery life improves I'll definitely stick with CM7. If it doesn't I'll try some other ROMs. And I downloaded Swype....worked like a charm!! Thanks for the help
    Youre welcome, make sure the "use profiles" checkbox is checked at the right hand corner... i completely missed that when i first used it lol.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    went back to default milestone sbf..swype is important to me...and i had already been to the website you suggested for swype but some forum members suggested the swype beta available from that website makes a lot of typos. That is why i was looking for a way to get the stock swype back.

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah I found the "use profiles" box. And the swype is working perfectly! I've been using it for two years and I'm super fast at it and I reeeeeaally missed it when I got CM7 but then I downloaded the beta and everything works great!

X Lurker
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't figure out how to get my phone to vibrate when I get a text tho. I've looked at all the settings and messed with em, but I can't figure it out. It'll vibrate when I get a call, so I know it's working, but it won't vibrate when I get a text.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Technician X
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loganhood View Post
    I can't figure out how to get my phone to vibrate when I get a text tho. I've looked at all the settings and messed with em, but I can't figure it out. It'll vibrate when I get a call, so I know it's working, but it won't vibrate when I get a text.

Messaging app > menu > settings > vibrate.

X Lurker
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 1.6%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    When i use wifi tether or barnacle wifi tether..it starts the tethering but connecting the laptop to it and opening any browser takes me to a verizon page saying "Your phone is not currently set up to be used as a modem or mobile hotspot" and outlines verizons hotspot plans. Opening any browser on the phone gives me the same message. It made my 3g stop working as well until i rebooted...anyone else has that issue? I am on milestone SBF rooted.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads