Custom Boot Animations and Logos List

This is a discussion on Custom Boot Animations and Logos List within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; 1. Introduction, Disclaimer, and Table of Contents Hello and welcome! First, I would like to say that this is not a request thread. If you ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Custom Boot Animations and Logos List

Agent X
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 9.2%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times

Post Custom Boot Animations and Logos List

1. Introduction, Disclaimer, and Table of Contents

Hello and welcome!

First, I would like to say that this is not a request thread. If you want to request a boot animation or logo, please create a thread requesting one or send me a PM. In the future, I will probably create a request thread if PM capping becomes too much of an issue. (No, haven't had anyone posting requests here yet, just want to be a bit preemptive.)

Now that I got the start of an introduction out of the way, let me now include the usual disclaimer:

I, nor droidxforums.com, it's parents, partners, children, siblings, estranged relations, or anyone other than yourself are responsible for anything that happens with the use of anything described in this thread. I have not tested every single file, but the ones I have tested have worked for me. I can not guarantee that they will work as intended for you. All instructions and files are provided AS IS and may have inconsistencies, errors, typos, and other mistakes. Use at your own risk.

Having said that, these are fairly easy things to customize with little risk of anything bad happening.

Now that that is out of the way, let me apologize now for the current lack of formatting, it's a work in progress and that will come later. Now for the rest of the introduction.

Since I have been making quite a few boot animations and logos of late, I use the terms making and quite a few a bit loosely, I wanted to make a list that references all the threads about those animations and logos. I didn't want a thread that was quite like the couple of others I have seen, mostly because they bring the laptop I use to work on these to a standstill while loading the pages with tens of videos and hundreds of pictures and pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows and what have you.

So this list will be a list of links for the most part. I will try and make them as descriptive as I can so you have a good idea of what it is the link is going to before going. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for the boot logos, I may include a picture or I may not. We'll see how that goes when I get to it. The main deciding force will be how badly it lags my laptop.

This is also my first time for making something like this, so I apologize for how badly I'm probably going to screw this up, and I will be working on making it a bit nicer looking once I get some more content. Function over form and all that.

Table of Contents:
    1. Introduction and Table of Contents
    2. Instructions
    3. My Animations (For right now, yes, I'm going to be selfish and list mine first.)
    4. My Logos (Once I get more, I will probably just merge all animations and logos together.)
    5. Other Animations (But this will help fill out some of the blank space.)
    6. Other Logos (Until I get things going.)
    7. Reserved for future use.
    8. Reserved in case the list gets way bigger than it should.
    9. Reserved in case of various disaster events.
    10. Reserved in case of excessive celebration.
    11. Enabling boot sounds on alternate ROMs.
    Last edited by Gorgarath; 03-24-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Not a request thread.
    AirJordan, JNEHAMA and HarleyDude like this.
    List of custom boot animations and logos.
    If you want a custom boot animation or logo, let me know.
    I can also add sound to your current boot animation.

Just got my work laptop back from my wife who had been borrowing it for a bit and will be installing all my tools on it so I can get back to work.
    My Droid X is currently running undervolted at stock speeds on ApeX 1.4.1.

If you have lost your mind and feel the need, you can contact me for my "new used laptop fund" link.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Agent X
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    2. Instructions

Here is where I will tell you how to use all these fancy shmancy boot animations and boot logos and how to enable sound for boot animations for ROMs that don't do it by default. If you already know how to install them, feel free to skip this part.

Boot animations are fairly simple to install. There are 2 different ways of doing it depending upon how you are given the files. If you are given a file that is a bootanimation.zip (or possibly named something else for purposes of keeping track of which one is which and needs renamed to bootanimation.zip) it simply needs to be installed over top of your current bootanimation.zip.

/system/media and /data/local are the two directories where a bootanimation.zip can be found. Usually it is only in one or the other, but I have been told that some ROMs include a bootanimation.zip in each location. And going by what they have done to get the custom animation working, I believe the system does a recursive search for the animation at bootup. It first checks for /data/local/bootanimation.zip followed by /system/media/bootanimation.zip and lastly it plays a default boot animation that is apparently not in a easily found file. Removing bootanimation.zip from both /system/media and /data/local will play the default Android boot animation (the word Android with some lighting effects) except apparently on ApeX 1.4.1 and possibly other ROMs. (Another of my goals is to find out what happened that you can't get the default boot animation to play on ApeX 1.4.1.)

So, regardless of where the ROM you use stores it's bootanimation.zip file, you only have to put your new one in /data/local to be able to use it. If you want to make a backup copy of your current boot animation, you can make a copy of it elsewhere to restore later. The easiest way is of course using Root Explorer. Another options is with the terminal.

Assuming your current boot animation is in /data/local:
    Code:
    $ su
    # cp /data/local/bootanimation.zip /sdcard/backup-bootanimation.zip
    # exit
    $ exit
    Now to manually install a new bootanimation.zip, it is easiest to use Root Explorer, but you can use a similar command as above to copy with the terminal.
    Code:
    $ su
    # cp /sdcard/new-bootanimation.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip
    # exit
    $ exit
    (I didn't test this part just now, think /data/local is already rw so you don't need to remount, but I'll verify in a bit. Not sure how Android handles overwriting the current bootanimation.zip either just now, it might prompt you if you are sure. I don't think it does, but I'll verify that in a bit too.)

Then there is my preferred way of distributing boot animations, a zip file that can be installed via Clockwork Recovery. I prefer this method as it is a bit simpler when you start using boot animations that use sound. (Which I'm still working out which ROMs actually do support boot sounds.) When using sounds you have multiple files going to different places. The sound file needs to go in /system/media, but I put the bootanimation.zip in /data/local still since that over-rides a bootanimation.zip that is in /system/media and I can't be sure where your current one is. This also lets me keep all my boot animations with easily recognizable names like this: xoom-bootanimation-sound-cw.zip

Note, when using my files, if it is to be used with Clockwork Recovery, it will end with -cw.zip indicating it is flashable. I don't know if anyone else uses this convention, but it's a handy one.

Obviously to install one of these clockwork flashable boot animations, you simply save the zip somewhere on your SD card (I have a directory named BootAnimations for these) and then boot into Clockwork via Bootstrap Recovery. Flash as you would any ROM or theme, only no wipe required.

For boot logos, I don't know if it is possible to install those via terminal or not, it's likely it is possible, but I find it easiest to flash them via clockwork since that is how I know how to do it. You can also purchase either jrummy's or TBH's apps in the market for boot logos and they can install custom logos that you put in a special directory on your SD card. (They still need to be in .bin format though.)

I should also mention, I do believe there are apps in the market for boot animations as well.

Now for the moment a lot of you have been waiting for... Here's how to enable boot sounds for ROMs that do not play boot sounds. Actually, look over here as I created a new thread on it to get more people aware of it. Here's the file that's flashable via clockwork though if you're impatient and don't want to look at the other thread:boot-sound-enabler-cw.zip. (MD5: C1B4AE559D1E9B88132CE69BD9520B04 SHA-1: B201372477FE8A4A28908C16EDBF1DFD70A87E5E )

Introduction and Table of Contents
    Last edited by Gorgarath; 03-24-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Just got my work laptop back from my wife who had been borrowing it for a bit and will be installing all my tools on it so I can get back to work.

If you have lost your mind and feel the need, you can contact me for my "new used laptop fund" link.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    3. My Boot Animations

For right now to fill the empty space, I'm going to separate the boot animations I've had a hand in making from those I've not. As the list gets going, all the boot animations will get merged into one larger multi-part list, in no particular order. Well actually, it will be in the order of whatever is currently in my list followed by the other list at the time I merge them as it's simply easier to merge that way. After that, it will be random whether or not it is one of mine.

Some of these I didn't do more than add audio to an existing boot animation. I've tried to give credit to the originals where I could, but some I don't know the original authors of.

Motorola Xoom Boot Animation (The first one I made in conjunction with t.crawford714.)

Flaming Blue Skull Boot Animation
    Android Peeing on Apple Logo Boot Animation
    Linux Boot Animation
    Laughing Apple Boot Animation
    Flying Toaster Boot Animation
    Country Blue Android Particles

Last edited by Gorgarath; 03-24-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    lynneddington likes this.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    4. My Boot Logos

For right now to fill the empty space, I'm going to separate the boot logos I've had a hand in making from those I've not. As the list gets going, all the boot logos will get merged into one larger multi-post list.

Xoom (Honeycomb) Bee Logo (My first boot logo.)
    Flipping Skeleton Boot Logo

(You can tell I'm still working on this can't you...)

Last edited by Gorgarath; 03-24-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    5. More Boot Animations

This is where I will currently list boot animations I've not had a hand in making. These will be random in whether or not they are a bootanimation.zip or a bootanimation-cw.zip.

(I could probably use some help finding these, but give me some time to do some looking first, and for now, I'm limiting the list to ones on this site. I'll expand later after I know we've taken care of our local devs. )

[HOW-TO] Vanilla Android Boot Animation on Some ROM
    BLU Droid Boot Animation
    KillaThrilla's Boot Animation Gallery (and Request Thread)
    Original Droid Eye Animations in alternate colors with sound too
    Kingdom Hearts Boot Animation
    Casen's Custom Boot Animations
    3 Boot Animations You Might Enjoy : Come Look!
    [BOOT ANIMATION's] Draken's BootAnimation Gallery
    [bootanimation] 3D Blue Bumblebee (honeycomb)
    [BOOT ANIMATION] Scanners
    Video boot animation with a small HOW-TO
    [BOOT ANIMATION] Android wins...fatality
    Android Logo Animation (Green droid with white background)

Last edited by Gorgarath; 05-14-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    6. More Boot Logos

This is where I will currently list boot logos I've not had a hand in making. I have no idea what format these will be in. Hopefully they'll be in a clockwork flashable format, but if not, they will most likely be .bin files that you will either need to add into a flashable zip or use one of the apps to import.

(I could probably use some help finding these too, but give me some time to do some looking first. I'm also limiting these to this site for the moment now too. This will more than likely be the first list to branch out to other sites as I don't recall seeing many of these posted at all.)

Original Motorola M Boot Logo
    Hardstyle Biohazard Boot Logo
    More "Bee" Boot Logos
    !Custom Boot Image! - is actually a thread full of them.

Last edited by Gorgarath; 03-24-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    goblueboy likes this.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    7. Reserved for future use.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    8. Reserved in case this list gets way bigger than it should.

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    9. This space reserved for sanctuary in the event of world domination by Robot Pirates or an invasion of Zombie Ninjas.

(If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of Songs to Wear Pants to, makes for some fun comical relief.)

Agent X
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    10. This space reserved for excessive celebration caused by any stickyness...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads