Moto: Please donít continue to ruin your Android devices by locking down the bootload

This is a discussion on Moto: Please donít continue to ruin your Android devices by locking down the bootload within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Motorola is currently enjoying a resounding comeback from the brink of death. The hardware they’re pumping out is awesome. It’s been awhile since consumers have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Moto: Please donít continue to ruin your Android devices by locking down the bootload

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    80 times

Moto: Please donít continue to ruin your Android devices by locking down the bootload

Motorola is currently enjoying a resounding comeback from the brink of death. The hardware they’re pumping out is awesome. It’s been awhile since consumers have actually wanted Motorola phones. A fair chunk of the new enthusiasm however is limited more to their Android line-up. That’s where the magic’s currently at. So it pains me to see them shooting themselves in the foot and limiting the usefulness of their newer devices.

The first DROID was a huge step for them. Not only in the simple fact that the hardware and debut of Android 2.0 was huge, but also because it is extremely easy to hack into the DROID and expand on it’s feature set even further. The European version, the Milestone, isn’t nearly as “useful”, thanks to a locked bootloader. For those of you whom aren’t familiar with the Android rooting scene, an unlocked bootloader is essential for getting into the recovery partition and having your way with the devices. But Motorola is moving to all-locked bootloaders. It started with the Milestone and has now popped up on their latest device, the Droid X.

It’s a shame really, because now the ability to tweak the Droid X has diminished. Hell, developers are still trying to get around the locked bootloader on the Euro-Droid (Milestone) so that people can fully enjoy their phones. And you know what, the Milestone and Droid are nearing the end of their “mainstream lives”. Other new devices with better specs are swooping in to soak up the limelight.

Moto’s stance has been rationalized out of a cookie-cutter PR book: It’s more for “safety” and IP purposes than anything. Ok, awesome. How about you leave it unlocked and then go after those who break such IP rights and do other nasty illegal things. From what I’ve seen over the last year, there hasn’t really been any grave danger to rooting your device or the so called “security risks” that come with it.

So consider this an “on my knees, begging and pleading” to Moto: STOP removing reasons for me to want your phones. Doing so will push me towards other manufacturers, ultimately causing you to head back towards the cliff where you once were not too long ago. Any other Android users feel the same?

by Mike @ gadgetsteria.com
    Posted July 11th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Source
    Where Ever You Go, There You Are

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Your first Group250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Yeah they shouldnt lock down the bootloader but sadly i think they are going to leave it that way.

X Lurker Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Right on. I totally agree. Plus, one of the reason the Motorola Droid sold so well was because people enjoyed installing custom roms. I pre-ordered my Droid X at Best Buy, but now I don't know what to do. I really enjoyed being able to install new ROMs and getting the latest Android OS before it is officially released to the device after delay (the whole 2.1 fiasco with the Motorola Droid).

Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.9%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    I would think it is more VZW behind it than Moto.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered250 Experience PointsThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Unfortunate to see as well, since this is the biggest thing (for me) with the original Droid.

X Operative Achievements:
    Your first Group250 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Seeing as how it might not even get root now as P3 and Miami are saying, Not sure if I'm getting this phone anymore.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class7 days registered250 Experience PointsThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by titans View Post
    Seeing as how it might not even get root now as P3 and Miami are saying, Not sure if I'm getting this phone anymore.
    One of the reasons, if not the big reason, I'm holding off and gonna wait til the X has had some time in the public before I run out to buy one.

Your first Group250 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassThree Friends100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    One of the reasons, if not the big reason, I'm holding off and gonna wait til the X has had some time in the public before I run out to buy one.
    I might just wait for the supposed HTC Scorpion idk, Sense UI is tempting.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by titans View Post
    I might just wait for the supposed HTC Scorpion idk, Sense UI is tempting.
    Whatever Moto's 2ghz phone is (or something that comes out this fall) will most likely get my money.....

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Whatever Moto's 2ghz phone is (or something that comes out this fall) will most likely get my money.....
    Or I could just get the Incredible if I wanted to I guess. Lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads