Moto: Please donít continue to ruin your Android devices by locking down the bootload

This is a discussion on Moto: Please donít continue to ruin your Android devices by locking down the bootload within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; I have to have a phone soon. I've been "getting by" on a loaner phone from VZW for the past 2 weeks waiting for the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moto: Please donít continue to ruin your Android devices by locking down the bootload

X Operative Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I have to have a phone soon. I've been "getting by" on a loaner phone from VZW for the past 2 weeks waiting for the DX launch, so I can't really wait for something equally powerful, but unlocked to come out. If we can't get the bootloader unlocked, I'll manage, but if we can't even get root... I'll be livid and may be selling it to move to the GS when it hits the market.

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    if Moto comes to their senses, could they sent an OTA that would unlock the bootloader? is there a key that will work on all phones, or does each phone have its own key?

X Lurker
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not well versed on the subject, but methinks VZW had a big hand in this latest development and Moto followed their every wish...

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I see people taking a closer look at HTC devices, as far as the hacking community anyway. For a person not interested in it it is a great phone. But it is a hacking brick wall for the rest of us. Coding hardwired in to the ROM that will corrupt the bootloader if they don't match? They are definitely trying to alienate the hackers out there. Kinda sucks too, the DROID line of phones is sooo nice, much better than HTC phones IMHO.

X Operative
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points7 days registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones1052 View Post
    I see people taking a closer look at HTC devices, as far as the hacking community anyway. For a person not interested in it it is a great phone. But it is a hacking brick wall for the rest of us. Coding hardwired in to the ROM that will corrupt the bootloader if they don't match? They are definitely trying to alienate the hackers out there. Kinda sucks too, the DROID line of phones is sooo nice, much better than HTC phones IMHO.
    Verizon's Droid phones are not limited to Motorola. The HTC Incredible is part of the Droid lineup.

X Lurker Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jhankg View Post
    Verizon's Droid phones are not limited to Motorola. The HTC Incredible is part of the Droid lineup.
    Guess I meant the Moto Droid line. Incredible is HTC yea. But HTC isn't the ones locking the bootloader with that eFuse...yet..

X Conveyor Achievements:
    Your first Group250 Experience PointsTagger Second Class100 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    yeah i agree it stinks they are locking the phone down but i think it will be a great phone regardless.

X Informant Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well both companies have a lot to gain by doing so. Im sure if moto said, "hey we are locking down this phone so we can stick all kinds of bloatware/ads/crap on it." Verizon is going to say, "cool we want to be able to control certain things like tethering and our own bloatware.".

Quote Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
    Not well versed on the subject, but methinks VZW had a big hand in this latest development and Moto followed their every wish...

I've already ordered my DX. Not sure if I'll be keeping it. It will be interesting, I believe we will be able to get root but not be able to install custom roms. Does this mean we will be able to overclock, install themes, etc. Not sure I can make it without options that we get from the great devs Bugless Beast, Cyanogen Mod, Sapphire. Their all awesome and we don't have to wait for updates. Only time will tell.

There's a video here that claims to have hacked the bootloader. Might be helpful. Might be bad. Could be a start.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads