[Tutorial] ROMs & Sysctl.conf & other tweaks!

This is a discussion on [Tutorial] ROMs & Sysctl.conf & other tweaks! within the Droid X Hacks forums, part of the Droid X Development category; Originally Posted by drod2169 VFS Cache Pressure, go ahead and disable that. I think the stock value is 100, so enter that. At the value ...

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: [Tutorial] ROMs & Sysctl.conf & other tweaks!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drod2169 View Post
    VFS Cache Pressure, go ahead and disable that. I think the stock value is 100, so enter that. At the value of "12" which is the default in Liberty (from one of my old sysctl's) causes a slowdown after a while, even though makes everything much more responsive at the get go. The slowdown is why I removed it from rubiX roms. OOM Kill Allocating Task kills off the app that caused you to run out of memory, which runs better than the stock android configuration.

There really is NO right answer when you research sysctl. The best thing to do, would be to search VM Linux tweaks. Most of the time, you'll see sysctl values that people optimizing their linux systems use. Take a look at those, then look into the actual name of what you're tweaking, to find out what it does.
    Kewl man, thanks for this. When I opened the app, the default was 50, so I changed it to 100, see if anything changes. Is it good to have Oom Enabled?
    And I will do some research on VM Linux tweaks, see what comes up.

And always remember to read, read, read, and read some more!

2. Droid X Forums
    Ads

Developer
    Developer
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    Kewl man, thanks for this. When I opened the app, the default was 50, so I changed it to 100, see if anything changes. Is it good to have Oom Enabled?
    And I will do some research on VM Linux tweaks, see what comes up.
    I'd keep OOM enabled. I have it enabled in all of my roms.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points250 Experience Points7 days registered100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drod2169 View Post
    I'd keep OOM enabled. I have it enabled in all of my roms.
    Sweet, thank you for your input on this discussion, really points me and others in the right direction. Ill try and do more research on Monday, having the day off and all. Hopefully other people will chime in that know some things or two about this. I guess we will just have to go about this the good 'ol trial and error way and see what we come up with. If anyone plays around with this in Liberty or any other ROM for that matter, post some of your values and results and let us know what you think.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Edited the OP, just to let you guys know, found a decent website with some explanations.

X Operative Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    My settings :

Min free: 4096kb
    Dirty ratio: 20
    Background ratio: 10
    Vfs cache: 100

I do have some linux sysadmin background, but the numbers are mostly based on some short research and guesswork. I'd like my phone to run more consistent and predictable rather than pure speed. So far so good though.

http://www.linuxinsight.com/proc_sys_vm_hierarchy.html

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    macpro88 likes this.
    Marius, aka. Imoseyon
    http://www.imoseyon.com/

Developer
    Developer
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    REading what you have in the first post, leave out expire centisecs and writeback centisecs. Do not touch those at all. There was a heavy battery drain issue caused in rubiX 1.8.9 caused by these. Also, they tend to drop quad scores to ~900, even though the phone doesn't actually slow down.
    mikeinrichmond likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Edited the OP with more information, thank you guys for your input!

X Informant Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered31 days registered100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The default values in Liberty sysctl tweaks are what I suggested to JRummy after extensive research and testing with Drod on RubiX. The settings Marius used up above are actually the stock settings, so you would have those values by disabling sysctl all-together, which is definitely an option. By raising the dirty ratio and dirty background ratio to 95 and 60 respectively, you are allowing for fewer memory flushes which results in much improved battery life. I found, as Drod mentioned, that with vfs_cache_pressure too low, you will see some slowdowns in performance at around 50 hours without a reboot. Through additional testing, I determined that a setting of 50 here, half that of stock, will provide a good blend of benefits without risk. You would need to be running for something like 150 hours without a reboot in order to ever see a slowdown with this setting. It may be even more than that.
    macpro88 likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member
    Achievements:
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkarnit View Post
    The default values in Liberty sysctl tweaks are what I suggested to JRummy after extensive research and testing with Drod on RubiX. The settings Marius used up above are actually the stock settings, so you would have those values by disabling sysctl all-together, which is definitely an option. By raising the dirty ratio and dirty background ratio to 95 and 60 respectively, you are allowing for fewer memory flushes which results in much improved battery life. I found, as Drod mentioned, that with vfs_cache_pressure too low, you will see some slowdowns in performance at around 50 hours without a reboot. Through additional testing, I determined that a setting of 50 here, half that of stock, will provide a good blend of benefits without risk. You would need to be running for something like 150 hours without a reboot in order to ever see a slowdown with this setting. It may be even more than that.
    Awesome, thank you soo much for this input!

X Operative Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points100 Experience Points31 days registered7 days registered
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Well what do you know. Enabling sysctl.conf in liberty settings does not actually alter the conf file. After enabling and rebooting, I checked /etc/sysctl.conf from terminal all the lines were commented out.

2048/40/15/12 were what was in there commented out though. I'm going to modify the file manually.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Marius, aka. Imoseyon
    http://www.imoseyon.com/

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads